Objectivism Online Forum

does being an individual make one a conformist?

Rate this topic

TCEnglish

I am sorry, I wasn't sure where to place this...

This is just something that I have been pondering the last few days: "Does being an individual make one a conformist?" I am just curious to what everyone else thinks before I formulate my own opinion!!! :) (Ok, ok...I am being fasticious...)

You can do anything you imagine and still be a conformist. It depends on your thinking when you do it. It's like that line in the Simpsons when Bart gets an earring and Lisa says "How rebellious in a conformist sort of way".

There are conformists who rebel from ever status quo aspect of society.

There are individualists who live the most status quo lifestyle imaginable.

The real issue is doing what you want for your own reasons. If you are choosing to do things with consideration for what other people think (whether they approve or disapprove is irrelevant), then you are probably a conformist.

If you are doing what you want and aren't concerned with the approval or disapproval of others, then you are probably an individualist.

I am sorry, I wasn't sure where to place this...

This is just something that I have been pondering the last few days:  "Does being an individual make one a conformist?"  I am just curious to what everyone else thinks before I formulate my own opinion!!!  ;)  (Ok, ok...I am being fasticious...)

Hae ae ae...

Why are you pondering this..?

My guess would be that the "conforming-nonconformists" that flaunt their

conformed nonconformity in your vicinity are making you either laugh or cringe at

the walking contradiction that they present.

But of course, you're asking the wrong question. An individual is an individual, and

can't be anything else. But being a conformist is a choice that an individual can

make.

So the real question is: Do you REALLY think that being an individual is a choice..?

Or,.. this is just a question formed from a non sequitur to test if we're paying

attention.

Which is it..? :)

-Iakeo