Objectivism Online Forum
happiness

How do I live in a country this over the top in its evil?

Rate this topic

21 hours ago, happiness said:

... I had 20+ joints treated at the Cayman clinic last year with good results ...

I'm glad you can do this. Are there patient groups, or patient forums, of people who have a shared interest in changing the law here.?Fighting against vested interests is hard, but organizing -- like labor unions do -- is one of the approaches that has a chance.  

4 hours ago, softwareNerd said:

I'm glad you can do this. Are there patient groups, or patient forums, of people who have a shared interest in changing the law here.?Fighting against vested interests is hard, but organizing -- like labor unions do -- is one of the approaches that has a chance.  

There is a very grassroots group that advocates for the cause and is a mix of good and bad. The leadership doesn’t have much of a grasp of how to argue, puts out poorly edited articles and social media content, and sometimes lives up to the other side's characterizion of patients as being easily misled. They blew me away last year by spearheading the Texas law that passed, which will be a game-changer if federal authorities don't interfere, so I have to give them some credit. 

Edited by happiness

3 hours ago, happiness said:

There is a very grassroots group that advocates for the cause and is a mix of good and bad. The leadership doesn’t have much of a grasp of how to argue, puts out poorly edited articles and social media content, and sometimes lives up to the other side's characterizion of patients as being easily misled. They blew me away last year by spearheading the Texas law that passed, which will be a game-changer if federal authorities don't interfere, so I have to give them some credit. 

Great to hear, that they got this traction. You're always going to find such groups are a mix. After all, you have just average folk, with average (and mostly implicit philosophies) trying to make a case. If not for a physical condition, they would likely be arguing the opposite side of the case. Nevertheless, in pressure group warfare, other things matter: how many people in the group, how much noise they can make to their individual Congressmen, how good an emotionally moving a story they can weave, how they choose their battles (e.g. finding some legislators who can use them to make his arguments, as much as they can use him to make them in the right venue).

Indeed, if one takes the title of this thread literally as "how does one live in a country that bans something that is important to you, the two main answers are:

• Find a way to get that thing anyhow (outside the country, or illegally inside the country)
  • Find a way to change the law: which typically means forming a pressure group to advocate for change