Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:Why "Hate" When You Can Incite Murder?

Rate this topic

According to the Washington Times, a play titled Kill Climate Deniers will soon start production in Australia:
The plot? "As a classic rock band take the stage in Parliament House's main hall, 96 armed eco-terrorists storm the building and take the entire government hostage, threatening to execute everyone unless Australia ends global warming. Tonight," said the play's website. [link omitted]
Hostage_exercise.jpeg
I couldn't find a "pretty joyful" image of a real hostage-taking, so I had to make do with a photo from a training exercise, instead. (Image via Wikipedia)
The first thought that crossed my mind was that it would be instructive to count the number of obnoxious bumper-stickers in the parking lot outside. "Hate is not a family value," crossed my mind first, despite the locale, but I am sure the paying audience Down Under will have its equivalents, probably including "Coexist." One could go on. How many in such an audience would also, without batting an eye, demand "trigger warnings" on speech that some might find upsetting? Or are quick to lay the blame for such things as mass shootings on movies or the inanimate objects used to commit the crimes? And yet, they will pay money -- after also looting the public -- to watch a play that advocates murder and terrorism "as a joke."  (Yes. The state-level government subsidized a play that might arguably be illegal to perform in the first place. That said, I don't know enough about the play or Australian law to know whether it actually is incitement.)

Playwright David Finnigan describes this garbage as "pretty joyful comedy." That man has just told us everything we need to know about his credibility, to say the very least.

-- CAV

Link to Original