Objectivism Online Forum

Rate this topic

Hey guys, I've considered myself at least a student of Objectivism since reading The Fountainhead in high school. I'm a psychologist so I'll mostly spend my time in that area of the forum. Hopefully this will be better for my sanity than getting into arguments in my head while scrolling through Twitter.

Welcome to the forum. I read the other posts you made in the psychology category. I look forward to more. Aside from The Fountainhead, what other works of Ayn Rand have you read?

Welcome Enlightenment Now

On 4/9/2018 at 5:56 PM, Enlightenment Now said:

...than getting into arguments in my head...

I think your context is a little different, but this led me to a thought I had.

When Ayn Rand said she never met her match in a debate...  I contemplated that she possibly debated herself at times in order to prepare for a hostile or complex question from a member of an audience.  To think through an argument thoroughly enough to consider the opposing position, to be ready to answer thoughtfully.  

Edited by Tenderlysharp

On 4/10/2018 at 5:44 AM, Repairman said:

Aside from The Fountainhead, what other works of Ayn Rand have you read?

Atlas Shrugged, We the Living, Virtue of Selfishness.

I was a philosophy student in undergrad and Intro to Objectivist Epistemology was a game-changer for me. I inadvertently based my thesis on it---since psychology has been dominated by either Rationalism or Empiricism. I wouldn't be a good psychologist without it.