Objectivism Online Forum

Greetings from New York

Rate this topic

Hey guys, I've considered myself at least a student of Objectivism since reading The Fountainhead in high school. I'm a psychologist so I'll mostly spend my time in that area of the forum. Hopefully this will be better for my sanity than getting into arguments in my head while scrolling through Twitter.

Welcome Enlightenment Now

On 4/9/2018 at 5:56 PM, Enlightenment Now said:

...than getting into arguments in my head...

I think your context is a little different, but this led me to a thought I had.

When Ayn Rand said she never met her match in a debate...  I contemplated that she possibly debated herself at times in order to prepare for a hostile or complex question from a member of an audience.  To think through an argument thoroughly enough to consider the opposing position, to be ready to answer thoughtfully.  

Edited by Tenderlysharp

On 4/10/2018 at 5:44 AM, Repairman said:

Aside from The Fountainhead, what other works of Ayn Rand have you read?

Atlas Shrugged, We the Living, Virtue of Selfishness.

I was a philosophy student in undergrad and Intro to Objectivist Epistemology was a game-changer for me. I inadvertently based my thesis on it---since psychology has been dominated by either Rationalism or Empiricism. I wouldn't be a good psychologist without it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, ethanscott said:

Hello all,

I read the book Fountainhead a year back I guess and I feel like I can relate to objectivism strongly!
It feels great to finally post on the forum after being a reader for such a long time. I am Ethan and I am staying in India currently.

Welcome to the forum, ethanscott. At some point, I hope you move beyond the "guess" and the "feel" you relate to Objectivism, and independently determine the philosophy of Ayn Rand to be the key to the path of morality and justice. Fountainhead is fictional, the best by my standards, but will you be reading some of Rand's non-fiction for a more thorough understanding?