Objectivism Online Forum

Funny vs. Not Funny

Rate this topic

Inspector

Okay, I'm getting sick of this. With a few notable exceptions, learning anything about Objectivism from this board has been like trying to get water from a rock.

If you don't like me you can choose to ignore my posts or get a moderater to ban me. Either way, stop the cheap shots.

edit for clarification

Edited by GWDS

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'm getting sick of this. With a few notable exceptions, learning anything about Objectivism from this board has been like trying to get water from a rock.

If you don't like me you can choose to ignore my posts or get a moderater to ban me. Either way, stop the cheap shots.

edit for clarification

If your goal is to learn Objectvism why do insist on debating everyone and making unprovoked statements of your "beliefs"? If you want to learn, read up and learn. Ask specific questions if needed, but don't try and compared O'ism to things it not by acting your personal beliefs are facts.

edit for clarification

Huh..!?

What cheap shots? Those "shots" were quite valuable to me, and I don't much

appreciate you devaluing them. The previous sentence is both very serious and

sarcastic, and is meant in the spirit of "don't be a dipscheit 'ol buddy, and pass the

chips!"

Don't get sick,... get rational.

In other words: If you have a question, ask it as one who is interested in the

views of others, and not merely interested in being combative and defensive.

And when you ask a question,.. ASK A FREAKIN' QUESTION..! Don't try to set

stupid little "my philosophy's sneekier and more adept at tripping up other

philosophies" traps.

What you call "cheap shots" are merely responses that point out how silly

(unproductive for yourself and others) you're being for trying to play "one up" by

denigrating what you don't understand, instead of trying to get information about it.

-Iakeo

You should phrase your questions a little more like they are questions and a little less like you're trying to debate. But honestly, I would hold off for awhile. Miss Rand does a good enough job of answering them that you should give her a chance to do it first.

I understood what you meant about the parallels to "the good parts" of Marxism, but as the others said, they were entirely inessential attributes. The way you phrased it, of course, was not accurate, appropriate, or reflective of what you meant to say.

Something I have tried to point out to GWDS on several occasions. I do think i have figured out what GWDS stands for also. :whistle:

I happen to actually KNOW what GWDS means, as he told me, but I'd love to hear

what your interpretation of it is..!!

What is it..?

By the way, I'll not make any comment on the "aesthetic appeal" of the REAL

meaning, as that would be unethical (though I'm not sure how) and might actually

be a violation of the TOS of this forum re "personal attacks".

Does that give away my opinion...? OH, SHOOT..!!

-Iakeo

Edited by Iakeo

This is why i haven't posted it as such on the board for TOS puposes. Let's put it to you this way it isn't kindly.

-----> That kind of unpravoked personal attack is exactly what I am talking about.

I note and thankyou all for your opinions and ideas pertaining to Ayn Rand and Objectism. Good luck to each of you in all constructive endeavours you undertake in the future.

Edited by GWDS

Well, if you are gone GWDS then you may not see this. As I have stated to you once in PM and once in a message in another topic, which seem to have been ignored, is to go and read the entire book, whichever one that maybe, and then come and ask questions. I am not the only person to have pointed this out to you. There are those who will be willing to help to you, but as Iakeo pointed out in a previous post:

And when you ask a question,.. ASK A FREAKIN' QUESTION..! Don't try to set

stupid little "my philosophy's sneekier and more adept at tripping up other

philosophies" traps.

You see I have a great deal of patience when it comes to somebody who has a genuine interest in knowledge, but I don't have tolerance for those who don't. If you were truly genuine in your quest for knowledge about Objectivism, instead of coming to a message board and wasting hours of time debating matters with people who are much more knowledgable about the topic at hand, and instead spent those hours actually reading. Well, you might not have ran into the trouble you have found here.

Edited by Richard Roark

I note and thankyou all for your opinions and ideas pertaining to Ayn Rand and Objectism. Good luck to each of you in all constructive endeavours you undertake in the future.

Is it me or does this statment seem to lack any type of sincerity, and if so, I find it insulting.

Edited by Richard Roark

If your goal is to learn Objectvism why do insist on debating everyone and making unprovoked statements of your "beliefs"? If you want to learn, read up and learn. Ask specific questions if needed, but don't try and compared O'ism to things it not by acting your personal beliefs are facts.

It was pointed out that my last sentence here didn't make much sense. It should have read--...but don't try and compare O'ism to things it's not by acting like your personal beliefs are facts.

I laughed out loud at both:

Does anyone else find it terribly ironic that we're taking humor this seriously?

and

If you'll allow me to quote my scripture:

I've heard quite a bit of Objectivist humor from other Objectivists. For example, in my college Objectivist club, we were all studying OPAR. One of the club members was in one of the early online study groups and shared some Objectivist humor with our club. In OPAR, there is a passage where Piekoff talks about sex, and the club member read the passage substituting "pizza" for "sex" and throwing in words like "cheese" and "pepperoni" in place of other nouns. I thought it was hilarious to sound so serious about a light topic. I've also seen a couple of Objectivist joke sites, although I doubt either one exists anymore.

Using sarcasm or irony like Daniel did is another way in which Objectivists can have some fun with the philosophy. That doesn't mean we don't wholeheartedly believe in it. I find that with Objectivism, as with other philosophies, people who are less sure of their beliefs will be more defensive if they feel like their beliefs are being mocked.

Edited by Pony Girl

...I find that with Objectivism, as with other philosophies, people who are less sure of their beliefs will be more defensive if they feel like their beliefs are being mocked.

"Mocking" to most people means, "saying anything negative about", where the

negative is defined by the mockee.

They don't want to be mocked when they discuss their views, yet at the same

time, they find nothing odd about pointing out the negatives, as they see them, of

others views.

Which is a classic "having your cake and eating it too" situation. :)

I don't mind people mocking my philosophy, if they will grant that I can mock

them in return. Mocking usually either evolves into one side proving that they're

an idiot, and unworthy of further discussion, or actual questioning to clarify what

the "sticky parts" are in their understanding.

But that's the basic trouble with people's understanding of "discussion" these days.

They think it's a war. As if philosophies can war with each other.

-Iakeo

them in return. Mocking usually either evolves into one side proving that they're

an idiot, and unworthy of further discussion, or actual questioning to clarify what

the "sticky parts" are in their understanding.

But that's the basic trouble with people's understanding of "discussion" these days.

They think it's a war. As if philosophies can war with each other.

-Iakeo

Brilliantly put.

them in return.

You're missing the point. The point is, that you would not find their mocking FUNNY. (unless, of course, their mocking was so childishly inept that it warranted laughing at THEM! :) )

The point is that you do not laugh at the mocking of your own values.

You're missing the point. The point is, that you would not find their mocking FUNNY. (unless, of course, their mocking was so childishly inept that it warranted laughing at THEM! ;) )

The point is that you do not laugh at the mocking of your own values.

Actually, I do take pleasure in other people mocking my values, as that gives me

the opportunity to find out what it is that they THINK they are mocking, and

correct their understanding. Which invariably leads to greater understanding on

BOTH our parts. And sometimes their right to mock..!

Do I find the actual mocking funny? No. Do I find the reasons that they do so

funny? Yes.

Will that prevent me from mocking other people's irrational values? No. Do I

WANT them to stop mocking MY irrational values? HELL no..!! I count on them

doing so to keep me rational, even if they themselves don't know quite why.

-Iakeo

I must say Iakeo has been a good board member with many good insights.

Oh..! Thanks. ;)

Just trying to put my (limited) understanding of objectivist thinking (rational

thinking) into practice.

Trying to do so on most other forums, which generally are seriously

overpopulated by nearly pathological collectivists, is a nightmare, albeit an

energetic and thought provoking one.

And as I'm not interested in "converting" anyone to objectivism, just presenting

my opinions, I will always be seen as a rude non-PC proselytizer by people who

are conditioned to see any "opposition" from anyone who is not

into "pleasing/appeasing others feelings" as THE ENEMY, we tend to not get along

very well.

But then there's this lovely place.... :)

-Iakeo

LOL..Yeah I that was the problem with the forum I used to hang out at, the Terry Goodkind Forum, the problem with that site is you had people who were Objectivist and understood the books very well and others who weren't Objectivist's and it wasn't a good mix. Also since I had sort of grown up with the website, when Terry was still somewhat unknown and you had a small tight knit group there. Then as he got more popular it just sort of went downhill from there. The funny thing is that the person who runs his site used to be very active on the Board, but the last few times there I hadn't seen him being very active except for posting news and announcements. So, I don't think he finds the enjoyment in the board as much as he used to probably, but running the website I think he still loves to do.

In OPAR, there is a passage where Piekoff talks about sex, and the club member read the passage substituting "pizza" for "sex" and throwing in words like "cheese" and "pepperoni" in place of other nouns.  I thought it was hilarious to sound so serious about a light topic.

Here's an important aspect of humor that hasn't been considered yet in this thread -- the intended audience of the joke.

To an Objectivist audience, the "pizza" gag is harmless. Everyone believes it anyway.

If you are in, let's say, a university philosophy class and they are familiar with and don't agree with Peikoff, the above "pizza" joke takes on a whole different, disgusting dimension. They think its funny not because its a light topic taken seriously, but because its a serious topic taken lightly, and it becomes a form of mocking Peikoff.

In any group, most people (second-handers) don't want to be left out of the joke. Power-lusters will use humor to steer the group towards their own values, and away from those the power-lusters (bullies) don't agree with.

Edited by TomL

"Mocking" to most people means, "saying anything negative about", where the

negative is defined by the mockee.

They don't want to be mocked when they discuss their views, yet at the same

time, they find nothing odd about pointing out the negatives, as they see them, of

others views.

I agree. What I was saying was that a joke doesn't have to be mocking (negative) to be funny. The pizza thing was funny because it made pizza - a food commonly consumed in fun, social settings - seem very serious. It was ironic - not mocking. However, an insecure person may misinterpret our joke as making fun of OPAR.

I have to add that context plays a very important role in humor. For example, Daniel's joke about quoting from his scripture was funny because it was in an Objectivist forum. In a non-Objectivist forum, it would not be funny because the listeners might actually think that he was serious - absurd as it may be for us.

Do I find the actual mocking funny? No.

Good, because that is the essential here. I'm not sure I agree with your general lighthearted attitude toward the rest, but I can see it would be appropriate in certain contexts. I'll give you this: you're certainly denying your opponents the dignity of taking them seriously! ;)

Good, because that is the essential here. I'm not sure I agree with your general lighthearted attitude toward the rest, but I can see it would be appropriate in certain contexts. I'll give you this: you're certainly denying your opponents the dignity of taking them seriously!  :(

I think "Lighthearted attitude" might be the key here. Like stated before, knowing your audience, and having a clue of how people are going to react to something is key. Personally, I would not be a happy person, if I took everything seriously (including my own beliefs).