Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:Why Not a Landing Strip?

Rate this topic

Over at Unclutterer is an idea I have tried in the past with varying degrees of success, using a "landing strip" near your home's most commonly-used entrance:

Credenza.jpg
Image via Wikipedia.
Although it's one of the cornerstones of an organized home, I'm amazed how many folks haven't heard of the "landing strip". The concept it very simple. Organization comes from things having a place and being in their place and probably the time when this rule is least observed is when we come home. We arrive from work exhausted, often carrying our work bags, groceries, and the mail. All we can think of is changing into jeans and slippers. We just toss down our things and later we're too preoccupied to tidy up. If instead you have a place to "land," and a routine for doing so, you'll avoid disorganization.
After having young kids, I think I know why the ideas isn't more common: You need to trust that little fingers won't be tempted to take things from your landing strip and play with them. I imagine that many people hear about the idea and give up on it during early parenthood. I have retreated to my own less-convenient (but more reliable) alternative -- having my own landing strip in an office near the front door that we keep the kids out of. But I look forward to having one near the door again when they're just a bit older. They and my wife currently use the kitchen table, which is a pain even when things don't go missing.

Also worth noting is the highly compatible practice of batch-sorting mail, much of which isn't important, anyway.

-- CAV

Link to Original