Objectivism Online Forum

The Nerve of Foley

Rate this topic

unskinned

I was reading an article on capitalism magazine, or somewhere, maybe it was a year ago. The author was writing about Ayn Rand's favorites and mentioned Frank Spearman and The Nerve of Foley. This is an unbelievable short story and can be ordered in a package deal from www.papertig.com.

A different book the author mentioned was about a big railroad problem in Texas and the man who goes and fixes it. It has been described as a kind of proto- Atlas Shrugged, minus the explicit philosophical insights. Does anyone know this book? Can you give me the name and the author? Maybe it is a Frank Spearman book...? I can't remember it and can't find it anywhere.

Edited by unskinned

I don't know if this is the book you're speaking of, but Spearman wrote a novel called Daughter of a Magnate about a man who fixes a railroad problem, but I'm not sure if it was in Texas. It's an excellent novel, anyway. All Spearman's railroad fiction is available at Paper Tiger. Plus two of his excellent Westerns.

There's another excellent author of railroad fiction named Samuel Merwin--who co-wrote AR's favorite novel, Calumet K. He also wrote The Road Builders, about the construction of a branch line in Texas, and The Short Line War, about a battle for control of a railroad somewhere in the Midwest. Both excellent novels.