Objectivism Online Forum

Freedom of speech (books)

Rate this topic

PrfromTexas

Hello,

I'm looking for the newest (and preferably informative with cases and examples) books related to freedom of speech through the objectivism prism. I would like to think that freedom of speech is still present in profiting organizations and possibly is transformed into something more stable.

I should state this strategy has never worked to the fullest. I have an extraordinary activity examples that I review as ordinary organization freedom plans. I likewise have a lot of inspiration to find more proofs for the transformation in question. The transition between the objectivism and freedom as the perceived reality choice is rather ambiguous in some cases.

Thank you,

Terry Lewis

Edited by PrfromTexas

Welcome to OBJECTIVISM ONLINE, Terry Lewis.

In addition to what is in the links you provided, a very informative history of American law in this area is The Emergence of a Free Press by Leonard Levy. That concerns freedom of ordinary citizens to express ideas, particularly ones critical of the government or governmental officials. The restrictions abridging such political freedom, in the British and American history, of concern in this book are government force, such as torture and execution, law of libel, and shutdown of printing outfits. In business firms, the stick is of a different genre, such as being fired. My own impression with business firms is that speech or other expression that distracts or detracts from the ultimate product or service of the firm is suppressed best it can be. That makes sense. In closed doors, of course, policies and projects are debated by the appropriate managers of the firm. There is a nasty little thing in this area that can go on in firms. In large firms, there can be 'soft' training of employees that can include collections of employees guided in discussions that include any sort of criticism or suggestions. These can be scams in which the information the firm is really interested in is further insight into which employees are problematic. (I'm sorry to say, but one of the saddest things I encountered in business were employees that could care less that we were producing or what we were producing or how well. They took no joy in that or in the brotherhood of coworkers dedicated to the productive purposes.)  The interests of the firm are pervasive in its operations, but, of course, there is always 'politics' there, with the small p, as individuals and groups jockey for personal advantage and for vision and character of the firm.

Edited by Boydstun

This is a very good read by Tara Smith on Free Speech as such (unrelated to an organization)

"The Free Speech Vernacular: Conceptual Confusions in the Way We Speak About Speech"

link is here:  https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3166234

I think there are very large differences between considerations of how best to make an organization run versus how best to set up a moral society with a proper government.  One uniquely involves the use of force (government monopoly) while the other is simply a voluntary relationship... which by definition, if no force is involved speech is always free, although it might not guarantee employment or promotion...

Edited by StrictlyLogical