Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:Lucas on Kyler Murray

Rate this topic

Writing at Inc., Suzanne Lucas brings up something too many in the public square frequently ignore or fail to account for, when the subject of ill-considered past actions and utterances comes up:

hat.jpg
We knew Finster was a bad apple the moment he swiped his older bother's hat. (Image via Pixabay.)
Last week I was on the tram when a group of teenage boys came and sat near me. Their language was atrocious and they kept calling each other "gay." So, knowing that their behavior at 13 was indicative of how they would be for their entire lives, I took their pictures, followed them home, and got their full names and addresses.

This way, when they try to get jobs or win awards or something, I can discredit them and point out that when they were young teens they were dumb and more interested in being shocking than anything else.

Where's my community leadership badge? [links omitted]
That something is called context. Lucas notes that many recent trials-by-media have used, as damning evidence, things people have said many years ago, and asks:
Is there ever a point where we can say, "Okay, you've changed?" or "Okay, you've grown up?"

Or is life simply a one-shot-and-you're-out game?
All I can add to this line of thought is the following observation: It is particularly unjust to play this game regarding actions taken by people who were young at the time, before they have learned good judgement, and when they stand the best chance to change for the better.

Lucas offers her own advice regarding such situations in the form of what really happened on that tram ride. Here is another: When you find someone pummeling another person over something -- non-criminal, and that doesn't cross some truly horrible line -- from their distant past, ask yourself what they might hope to gain by doing so. This goes double for those who dig up dirt on kids.

-- CAV

Link to Original