Objectivism Online Forum

In Memory of the Four RCMP Officers

Rate this topic

Quantum Mechanic

Hello all.

As some of you may know, Canadian law enforcement suffered a great loss as four RCMP officers were slayen in Northern Alberta 2 weeks ago.

Here is a painting paying tribute to the victims. I think it is a fantastic piece of art. Thoughts?

Edit: Maximise window after clicking the thumbnail to get best results.

post-685-1110857124_thumb.jpg

Edited by Quantum Mechanic

Four Alberta RCMP officers went to a rural property for an investigation into stolen property and a marijuana grow operation. From what I know, they had been investigating the property while the owner was not home. Some time during the second day of surveillance, the owner parked his truck 20km's away, and snuck onto the property. He shot and killed all four of the peace officers when they entered a hangar-like building on the property.

You can pick the article the most interests you here.

I personally rank Canada up there with France in countries I dislike [...]

What do you mean by "countries"? Exactly whom do you dislike?

If the account in the March 12 Edmonton Journal article is accurate, then I feel great sympathy for those who died and for their loved ones. The apparent killer was a thug who once had been imprisoned for sexual assault and was most recently suspected -- apparently with solid grounds, now -- of car theft. Of course, in a laissez-faire society, his pot-growing would not have been illegal, but today's drug laws don't excuse murder.

What do you mean by "countries"? Exactly whom do you dislike?

If the account in the March 12 Edmonton Journal article is accurate, then I feel great sympathy for those who died and for their loved ones. The apparent killer was a thug who once had been imprisoned for sexual assault and was most recently suspected -- apparently with solid grounds, now -- of car theft. Of course, in a laissez-faire society, his pot-growing would not have been illegal, but today's drug laws don't excuse murder.

Exactly, the story is really about the murderer being a psychotic not about the evils of marijuana. The man would have killed whether or not he was growing marijuana. He would have been involved in prostitution, or extortion, or bank robbery, or some other crime that would bring him a "living". A man without a record would not have been punished so severely if caught growing marijuana. However, this repeated offender would have been punished severely. This is why he killed them, and more so why he killed himself...to not return to jail.

Americo.