Objectivism Online Forum

Integration?

Rate this topic

Akilah

What does Rand or Peikoff mean by "integration"? Rand says emotions are the automatic responses to an evaluation of some existent integrated by the subconscious. Or, the process of consciously integrating? Branden says evasion is the process of avoiding integration; that is of consciously initiating the process of disintegration. 

And it's further complicated when Peikoff says the subconscious is necessarily an integrating mechanism. 

1 hour ago, Akilah said:

What does Rand or Peikoff mean by "integration"? Rand says emotions are the automatic responses to an evaluation of some existent integrated by the subconscious. Or, the process of consciously integrating? Branden says evasion is the process of avoiding integration; that is of consciously initiating the process of disintegration. 

And it's further complicated when Peikoff says the subconscious is necessarily an integrating mechanism. 

I believe your conundrum has been caused by your implicitly equating "subconscious" with "emotional".

None of what you indicate represents a contradiction.

Can you be more specific as to what has you confused?

The DIM Hypothesis deals quite a bit with the subject, if you do not already own it, you should think about getting a copy (or borrowing one from a library).

1 hour ago, StrictlyLogical said:

I believe your conundrum has been caused by your implicitly equating "subconscious" with "emotional".

None of what you indicate represents a contradiction.

Can you be more specific as to what has you confused?

The DIM Hypothesis deals quite a bit with the subject, if you do not already own it, you should think about getting a copy (or borrowing one from a library).

No, I understand that the subconscious has a primary role in, generally, automatizing knowledge; of which, includes evaluations of existents (emotions).

I am trying to understand what exactly "integration" means and how the subconscious performs it. I understand it to mean a mental process of differentiation (of any existent, whether perceptual or conceptual) and synthesis of that which was differentiated by a uniting unit. 

In the case of Rand's conception of an emotion, how is that process of integration carried out subconsciously? Isn't integration a feat only performed by reason? 

I think she meant that the integration is performed by the conscious mind (reason) and then that integration is then automatized (memorized) by the subconscious.

1 hour ago, Akilah said:

Isn't integration a feat only performed by reason? 

This is true for conceptual integration, but she didn't necessarily mean that all integration is by reason. Integration can include the formation of a percept, which the brain does automatically. The details of that are a scientific question.

Edited by Eiuol

On 1/16/2019 at 12:25 PM, Akilah said:

What does Rand or Peikoff mean by "integration"?

Peikoff defined it as "the process of uniting elements into an inseparable whole." (OPAR, p. 77)

On 1/16/2019 at 3:06 PM, Akilah said:

In the case of Rand's conception of an emotion, how is that process of integration carried out subconsciously?

You know how you can recollect sights and sounds from the past in the form of memories? Well, it appears that we can also recollect sensations from the past in the form of emotions.