Objectivism Online Forum

Are there any Objectivist architects anywhere in the world? Do Ayn Rand's works inspire architects today?

Rate this topic

I am a young architect. I have read Ayn Rand's works and I also study her philosophy. Fiction being Art has a value of its own but its for her rational philosophy, Objectivism, that I really admire her. I have been trying to look for any information regarding architecture of the present or even recent years that has Ayn Rand's influence in it. I haven't found anything so far. 

One can be an architect. One can be an Objectivist. "Objective Architecture" is not a concept with meaning, it has no referents.  Just go be a good architect.  The convenient thing for Rand qua novelist was that she didn't have to provide drawings for the "The Fountainhead", she could write some general principles and leave the rest to the reader's imagination.  

And plenty of architects have been inspired to get into the field because of Rand, but there is no Objectivist architectural style.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 1:38 PM, Greenish Blue said:

I am a young architect. I have read Ayn Rand's works and I also study her philosophy. Fiction being Art has a value of its own but its for her rational philosophy, Objectivism, that I really admire her. I have been trying to look for any information regarding architecture of the present or even recent years that has Ayn Rand's influence in it. I haven't found anything so far. 

Greenish Blue, I think Grames summed it up pretty well, but I'd like to add this: As a young architect, you have the opportunity to develop styles of your own, using fantastic new materials. Add to that, there are new frontiers requiring new engineering standards as public and private industry proceeds toward the colonization of extra-terrestrial landscapes. Someone will be designing lunar bases or space stations; it could be you. With Howard Roarke as your heroic archetype, just try to design with integrity wherever you build.