Objectivism Online Forum

Donahue Interviews in better quality than Youtube?

Rate this topic

gio

Do you know if there is any way now to see the interviews of Ayn Rand by Phil Donahue in better quality than the one available on Youtube?

Is there any VHS of the show? It seems compressed from VHS on Youtube.

As far as know, most Youtube interviews were uploaded by an account called "Jose Marabotto", do you guys know him?

In the documentary: Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life by Michael Paxton, we see short passages of the interviews in much better quality than Youtube.

Edited by gio

There may be better quality stuff out there, but you would be amazed at how audio and video can be processed/restored on a personal computer.

Video example: https://www.neatvideo.com/examples#tv2

(and that's just noise reduction, color and contrast etc are very easily tweaked) I don't have this program but I have NeatImage and it is fantastic.

Audio Example: https://www.magix.com/ca/music/sound-forge/sound-forge-audio-cleaning-lab/

I use the Audio Cleaning Lab to clean up noise form some old classical CDs and Cassette tape recordings, and I even used it to restore Leonard Peikoff's lectures for my own personal listening pleasure.  It's a fantastic product but requires some work.

I'm not sure it's an issue of resolution at that time. Resolution is a current issue, related to digital content working with pixels. You can have movie from 1920 in 1080p or in 360p, depending how you digitalized or compressed it. Same for 70s/80s content, same for VHS. You have on Youtube some content (including TV content) that was shot way before Ayn Rand interviews but which were uploaded in much better quality, probably because they were digitalized and uploaded more recently. The kind of quality flaws due to the oldness are not those of resolution quality. Poor resolution is a purely current problem.

Otherwise, Michael Paxton in his documentary could not have shown us part of the interviews in much better quality than Youtube.

Edited by gio

7 hours ago, gio said:

I'm not sure it's an issue of resolution at that time. Resolution is a current issue, related to digital content working with pixels. You can have movie from 1920 in 1080p or in 360p, depending how you digitalized or compressed it. Same for 70s/80s content, same for VHS. You have on Youtube some content (including TV content) that was shot way before Ayn Rand interviews but which were uploaded in much better quality, probably because they were digitalized and uploaded more recently. The kind of quality flaws due to the oldness are not those of resolution quality. Poor resolution is a purely current problem.

Otherwise, Michael Paxton in his documentary could not have shown us part of the interviews in much better quality than Youtube.

TV programs were shot with high quality tv cameras usually, which have inherent scan line limitations, not film.  If recorded they had some format, line limitations.

Anyway.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, StrictlyLogical said:

TV programs were shot with high quality tv cameras usually, which have inherent scan line limitations, not film.  If recorded they had some format, line limitations.

Of course there is some kinds of limitations with the original material, but those are not the issue. This is irrelevant. The issue here is the digital low quality of the material on Youtube. Not other kinds of flaws or limitations.

Edited by gio

I realized that the interviews comes from VHS, dsitributed by the company "No Free Lunch Distributors". (They distributed several interviews of Ayn Rand)

Do you know if this company still exists? Or if they sell this VHS still today? Do you have your own copy of the VHS?

This VHS can at least be borrowed (or seen) at three places, according to this page:

• Loyola University Chicago
  • Pritzker Military Museum & Library
  • University of South Florida
Edited by gio