Objectivism Online Forum

San Francisco Objectivist Groups

Rate this topic

I'm moving to San Francisco in June to attend school and would love to take part in a local Objectivists' group. I've tried a few google searches, but wasn't able to find anything (not surprising, given the prominance of the Left throughout CA, particularly in San Francisco).

Are any of you from the Bay Area, or do you know of any Objectivist groups in or around San Francisco?

Are any of you from the Bay Area, or do you know of any Objectivist groups in or around San Francisco?

I'm in San Jose.

I know of one pseudo-Objectivist group, the "Silicon Valley Objectivists", that have a monthly meeting of some kind. I went to a few of their meetings and wasn't very impressed; they seem to be largely TOC-variety "Objectivish" types.

You might try contacting ARI to see if there's an operating campus club in the area. Beyond that, my only suggestion would be to try founding one yourself if you can find enough other interested people in the area.

My understanding is that there is only one regularly-meeting, ARI-supporting Objectivist group in the Bay Area, and it's located in Berkeley. However, in my view, it wouldn't be too long of a commute from the city to Berkeley once or twice a month for a meeting.

Thanks, guys. I'm pretty sure SFSU (my school) doesn't have an Objectivists' club. I've thought about starting one, but that'll depend largely on time constraints. As I'm sure many of you know, working to support yourself while attending school doesn't leave much time for extracurricular activities. We'll see.

At any rate, now that the time for my move is drawing near, I'm getting really psyched up. The "whole new city" thing is really exciting!

• 9 months later...
I'm moving to San Francisco in June to attend school and would love to take part in a local Objectivists' group. I've tried a few google searches, but wasn't able to find anything (not surprising, given the prominance of the Left throughout CA, particularly in San Francisco).

I just moved to Santa Clara, and I'm trying to get a group going. It would just be an informal thing, occasional dinners, movies, just a way to spend time with other Objectivists. I would suggest starting your own campus club. When I went to school in Virginia, I didn't think that there was a lot of interest, but I helped found one and met a lot of cool people through it. Let me know how it goes!

-Faye

PS: There's a website for Bay Area Objectivists: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bayobjectivists/ It's pretty dead, but I'm trying to get it some more attention now.

I just moved to Santa Clara, and I'm trying to get a group going. It would just be an informal thing, occasional dinners, movies, just a way to spend time with other Objectivists. I would suggest starting your own campus club. When I went to school in Virginia, I didn't think that there was a lot of interest, but I helped found one and met a lot of cool people through it. Let me know how it goes!

-Faye

PS: There's a website for Bay Area Objectivists: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bayobjectivists/ It's pretty dead, but I'm trying to get it some more attention now.

That sounds great, Faye! I joined the Yahoo! group a while back also, but I don't think it's used at all anymore. Whenever you're interested in planning something, post it here.

P.S. Where are you from in Virginia? I lived in NoVa and DC for the past 10 years before moving out here.

That sounds great, Faye! I joined the Yahoo! group a while back also, but I don't think it's used at all anymore. Whenever you're interested in planning something, post it here.

P.S. Where are you from in Virginia? I lived in NoVa and DC for the past 10 years before moving out here.

I'm from Nova too :) I just moved out here with my husband because he got a job out here. We're both Objectivists, and looking for friends...

So, I know the guy who started the Yahoo! group, and he had trouble keeping things going. I was trying to get people together to see a movie, so I'll post that here.

-Faye