Objectivism Online Forum

Rate this topic

I saw this short interview on CNN:

https://youtu.be/Tsy3ESLbzAo

The host talks to Brian Rosenwald, who wrote a book called Talk Radio's America. Judging from the segment, the thesis is that conservative talk radio hosts are primarily responsible for Trump winning in 2016. Rosenwald argues that over the last few decades, entertaining conservatives like Rush Limbaugh have established an aggressive, anti-liberal style that voters found in Trump. I'm not sure how this explains Hillary winning the popular vote. I guess I'll have to read the book. Personally, I'm still of the opinion that Trump had a better campaign strategy. He wasn't focused on raising dollars. He was focused on winning.

The causes of anything like the outcome of an election are complicated.  Mixed-economy statism makes them more complicated.  Widespread philosophical confusion makes them more complicated.

I heard someone saying recently that Trump's election and Brexit can both be traced to the economic crisis around 2008.

I haven't tried to analyze exactly how and why Trump won.  How much time and energy should we spend on such analyses, as opposed to trying to teach people good philosophy, and trying to nudge things in better directions?

51 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

I haven't tried to analyze exactly how and why Trump won.  How much time and energy should we spend on such analyses, as opposed to trying to teach people good philosophy, and trying to nudge things in better directions?

I like to learn from history, so I think it's worth some time studying. Also it would be helpful to understand the main reason(s) for his popularity, if only to better understand generally the people I'm trying to nudge.

I can't find evidence of Hoover using that sort of messaging. But Reagan did.

Hoover was more about taking credit for the "prosperity" of the '20s. This is what Trump is going to do next with his "Keep America Great!" slogan. And if history repeats itself, we should expect a great depression in 2021.