Objectivism Online Forum

Fellow Law School Students?

Rate this topic

fanofayn

I am currently reading Atticus Falcon, Esq's Planet Law School II (of course a pen name), and I was wondering if

1) there are any other members of this forum who are currently enrolled in or about to enroll in law school, and

2) if any of those people are prepping for their 1L year (or did/didn't prep who have any recommendations).

I am really excited about the book, and of course want to get the opinions of my fellow students of objectivism as well.

(warning: the author is definately philosophically corrupt, but his advice re: tactics and practical methodology seem really dead-on.)

Any thoughts?

Try reading The Law School Trip by Andrew McClurg. It's probably one of the funnier books I've read about the mind trip that is law school. Just reading the Greatest Law School Hits chapter will give you a leg up on being a 1L. He does equivicate going to law school and especially being a 1L to taking LSD. It uses humor the way Falcon uses bitter cynicism. You can spot 1L's since they are always there, have a sort of look half way between bewilderment and the terror like something you'd experience in the movie Hellraiser added to a decided lack of sleep. It's definately not one of those "how to become a succesful law student in 10 easy steps." It takes a VERY cynical view of the whole experience but I gotta say I found it pretty accurate.

Nope, I'm not a lawyer, I'm a stockbroker. But I come from a family with lawyers, my fiance', my best man and two of the bridesmaids in our wedding and our friends that we'd like to be our kids godparents when we have kids are all lawyers. So I feel like Jacques Cousteau. :D

There was another book I read that is much less cynical but I can't find it on the shelf. Once my finace gets home (the law library doesn't close 'til midnight) I'll see if she can tell me what it is.

As for what I would recomend: get a really understanding spouse or family members you can vent to. Get a blackberry for communicating with said people because you'll be to busy reading to talk. Pop for the best quality backpack on rollers and an extra battery for your laptop because you'll for sure need both. Oh, don't get a Powerbook; Examsoft is Windows only and you're toast if you have to bluebook it.

• 1 month later...
As for what I would recomend: get a really understanding spouse or family members you can vent to. . . .  Pop for the best quality backpack on rollers and an extra battery for your laptop because you'll for sure need both. Oh, don't get a Powerbook; Examsoft is Windows only and you're toast if you have to bluebook it.

I am a law student. These are pretty much spot-on comments in my experience.

Venting is key, you are going to be stressed to the max. Ditto for the backpack on rollers; you'll be killing your back if you don't.

About Mac v. Windows and exam blocking software, when you decide what school to go to, find out what they use. My school doesn't use ExamSoft, we use Exam4 Extegrity software. It is compatible with Mac and PC.

About Mac v. Windows and exam blocking software, when you decide what school to go to, find out what they use.  My school doesn't use ExamSoft, we use Exam4 Extegrity software.  It is compatible with Mac and PC.

The Bar, at least here in Tx, is testing using computers for the exam. It's PC only and you do have to have a built in floppy from what I remember. Which really stinks considering how few new laptops actually have built in floppy drives. Makes me think they are going to use something like ExamSoft.

Hopefully the Bar Assoc. will snap to it and do what the NASD, the AICPA, and the professional architect association I can't remember right now does and farm the testing out to Sylvan. But they will be stubborn and won't considering that they are only now TESTING the use of computers for the bar. Ugh. The Bar Association can drag feet like nobody else.

Side note: Are either of you members of Phi Alpha Delta?

Yes, I failed to consider the Bar Exam, I only addressed my school exams.

No, I've never done fraternities.

Actually PAD is as much a non-frat as it is anything else. It's really more a professional organization and a good way to meet contacts. Also one of the neat pluses is that by being a member of PAD you can be sworn into the Bar by a member of the Supreme Court at the Supreme Court. Plus, it helps open some doors if you want to clerk for judges since it's really an academic frat and not a drinking/carousing/social sort of frat.

I'm not one for frats but PAD is really a professional organization that happens to be organized under the greek system since it's an academic based organization.