Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged:Friday Hodgepodge

Rate this topic

Four Things

1. If you haven't paid a visit to Project Gutenberg, let me recommend browsing its well-organized inventory of public domain, free (as in beer) ebooks the next time you're looking for something to read. I snagged a copy of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde there after the book came up on a list of "steampunk" science fiction. (Of course, it isn't really steampunk, but it very much has the feel of the genre.)

The site offers a variety of formats, including the Kindle-compatible MOBI. To upload to your device, retrieve your Amazon account's email address and send the file there in an untitled, blank email. Currently, I'm reading a P.G. Wodehouse book I found there.

A cursory look while preparing for this post showed collections of work by Henry Hazlitt (although not Economics in One Lesson, at least as a stand-alone book), and The Federalist Papers.

2. A humorous Twitter exchange between some kid and William Shatner serves as the point of departure for a column by HR expert Suzanne Lucas.

It also reminds me of the ska song, embedded below and titled, "William Shatner," by the Scofflaws.

I know. Okay, boomer.

3. It's time for another gem from Miss Manners. Scroll down or search "bridal shower" for the Q and A, if you wish, but here's the meat:
If people are going to insist on taking all of the spontaneity out of present-giving not only by dictating the merchandise, but also by setting its timeline and means of delivery, Miss Manners can hardly muster sympathy for them when their guests obey their rules and show up empty-handed.
Sometimes, when the truth sets you free, it also makes you smile.

4. Since I own a copy of the out-of-production Objectivism Research CDROM, I can perform searches through much of the work of Ayn Rand and the early Objectivists. (Even if I owned the Kindle edition of every single such book, this resource is infinitely easier to use than having to search books singly or guess where something on the edge of recollection might be.)

But there are gaps, such as The Objectivist Forum (TOF), of which I own a bound copy. As far as I can tell, there is no electronic version. But I did at least find an electronic table of contents (with brief summaries) for TOF. That was quite helpful the other day when I wanted to read "The Possible Dream," by Harry Binswanger, but did not know where it was. I highly recommend reading it, by the way.

(I had forgotten that TOF was not part of the CDROM set, so I then found it in the bound copy. That said, at least I don't have to lug that thing out just to look up where/whether it contains an article I have heard about.)

-- CAV

Link to Original