Objectivism Online Forum

Should I Change My Name?

Rate this topic

I have the opportunity to change my name next year due to some paper work that gives me that option. I am currently named after a zealot communist that his name is not even worth of mention. Yet despite this bad influence from my family I am an objectivist. I will also soon close a business-working a way to get out of the contract-that I am a member of, due to unfair practices that do not coincide with my values. So I was thinking of perhaps changing my name to Hugh Akston or something different from the name that I have. Ayn Rand's work has changed my life and I am not about to give my rebirth up, for some irrational guilt. What do you think?

Edited by Hugh Akston

Interesting question. I know there have been a number of discussions about the legal/ethical issues of naming businesses, bands, musical works, etc., after AR's characters. But naming yourself? That's a new one . . .

My thought is this: If you don't like your name, and don't think it suits you, then by all means change it. But you need to have your own name. "Hugh Akston" is already taken.

To the extent that you are an admirer of Ayn Rand, you're an individualist. You don't really want to be Hugh Akston, or John Galt, or Howard Roark, or anybody else. You want to be YOU.

What do you think?

Look on the bright side: you can use your name as a conversation starter to bring up your own ideas. And be careful that your change doesn't backfire: I changed my name at 16 from Dennis to David to choose a Jewish name over a Greek one, and now I consider a Greek root closer to my values than a Jewish one.

Edited by GreedyCapitalist

You should chage your name to Max Power!

Sorry I just watched the Simpsons and then immediately read this thread, my brain hasn't switched gears yet.

For irony's sake, I would stay named after a communist. I really could not imagine changing my name, regardless of what it was.

I tend to agree with Bryan, and I've stated so elsewhere, but if your name has definite negative connotations to you, by all means, change it. I joke about hating my name (and occasionally I'm disgruntled because many, many women my age have the same name I do), but I wouldn't change it for the world . . . it just wouldn't be ME.

Look on the bright side: you can use your name as a conversation starter to bring up your own ideas.  And be careful that your change doesn't backfire: I changed my name at 16 from Dennis to David to choose a Jewish name over a Greek one, and now I consider a Greek root closer to my values than a Jewish one.

I will keep that in mind.

Interesting question. I know there have been a number of discussions about the legal/ethical issues of naming businesses, bands, musical works, etc., after AR's characters. But naming yourself? That's a new one . . .

Yes you are right. I am sure there are plenty of other names.

Excellent idea!

How about...

Mel Goldsilberothschildowitz?

:lol: I'll put it on the list

Edited by Hugh Akston

If you don't like your name, change it. Just think really hard about what you want it to be. A name is like a tattoo... it stays with you. Like Kevin said, don't change it to someone else's name. Be yourself!

edited for typo

Edited by Pony Girl

I changed my last name only in order to accomplish three things: deprive my father of any bragging rights for my accomplishments, distance myself from his family in the eyes of those who know us both, and to honor the man who is most directly responsible for my being who I am and setting the example which enabled me to make the excellent choices I have made for my life: my maternal grandfather.

One's last name is a family name. If you are going to choose one, you should choose it to represent the "family" which is most important to you and most causal for your being.

I wouldn't change my first name because its too burned into my subconscious now and it would be more trouble than its worth to change. That is: if your name is "Joseph Stalin", change the "Stalin" but keep the first name. No one associates "Joseph" with communism, just "Stalin". Then you won't have to try to retrain your subconscious to respond to something other than "Joe".

Tom, it seems like you and I have much in common in terms of our history. I, too, have family that likes to use my achievements as bragging rights when they not only had nothing to do with it, but were actually an impediment to their realization. I too have a great maternal grandfather, without whom I could not possible be the man I am today. Luckily those whom like to derive pride from my achievements yet deserve my scorn do not share my family name.

I won't tell you what my father's last name is, I'll just say that my first name is Jose. The only problem with the name is that it is associated with rejection in popular culture, "No way Jose!" However, one take ownership of the name and make it a conquering name. My mother's maiden name is Gainza. Pronounce it with me: Ga-een-saa.

I for a few years have considered changing my name to Paine Sailor. Yes, Paine, as in Tom Paine. But also a play on words with "Pain". And sailor, well, there is so much meaning there.

However, I have recently realized that I love my name as Jose Gainza. And I'm actually proud of many Gainza's.

However, I'm still wondering whether I should change my name to Cyrano D'Anconia. I doubt it ... we'll see.

But I do love to name my characters and am often jealous of their names, like Americo Norman.

But Jose Gainza should be fine because a man's work makes the name not his blood line.

Americo.