Objectivism Online Forum

What is the "Spiral Theory Of Knowledge"?

Rate this topic

Hello,

I am writing a set of essays on the subject of education and wish to understand the "Spiral Theory of Knowledge". If anyone can explain it to me, refer me to its source, or refer me to a good explanation, I would be forever grateful.

I also wish to know who originated it and am seeking examples of its application.

- Jon Rosen (AKA "Chankludo")

I think Ayn Rand was the first to talk about it explicitly, but I don't think she talks about it in any of her books that have been published. It is an implication, though, of the Objectivist position that knowledge is a unity. Since knowledge is a unity, hierarchically and/or chronologically later knowledge will have implications for earlier knowledge.

The other day, I found what I take to be an expression of of the sprial theory in Aristotle's De Anima 402b10. I'll paraphrase: Ought one to inquire first into the parts of the soul, such as the senses, or their functions, such as the sensing? If the latter, ought one to inquire first into the sensing, or into the object of the sense? The latter seems to be the case, since the object is primary; yet it also seems that knowledge of the parts of the soul and of their functions contributes to knowledge of the object.

So here Aristotle is saying that the object is hierarchically prior, but that knowledge of the hierarchically dependent will bring new knowledge on the prior nevertheless. There's a little more to it, especially with his comment about something being logically empty a little after my paraphrase, but I think I have the basic idea.

Thank you Danial. Your explanation is perfect. Although I mentioned that the subject of my writting is "Eduction", I am coming at it from a combination of neuro-biological and sociological perspectives. (Aristotle's or Rand's?) Spiral Theory of Mind shall be referenced.

again, thanks & best regards,

Jon