Objectivism Online Forum

Howdy All!

Rate this topic

Hello everyone. My name is Todd. I'm a 25 year old male from northwest Ohio. I'm currently employed as a security guard, and am starting college in the summer (Ms. Rands influence had much to do with that decision.)

I was first exposed to objectivism in the works of Terry Goodkind http://www.terrygoodkind.com), the Sword of Truth series. After finding out what the philosophy was called (I originally thought it was Terry's since I had never heard anything like that before), I immediately starting soaking up information. I've only been at it for a month, and only read one of Ayn Rand's books (Philosophy: Who Needs It?), but I already feel like my life is changing. I just picked up a copy of Atlas Shrugged today at my local library and plan on reading it over the next few weeks. My librarian said it was her "number one life changing book of all time". From what I've heard from others, I think it will have that affect on me too. I am very excited about reading it.

Like I said I'm new to objectivism, and have spent most of my life with a mixed bag of philosophies guiding me (altruism being the worst of them), so forgive me for my naivety in this field. I am relying on feedback from others, and possibly some debate when I feel adequately informed, to help me grow as an objectivist. ;)

I love objectivist epistemology. Using the mind, reason, facts, and reality as the base of all knowledge seems so simplistic its almost unfathomable how anyone just can't "get it". I also love the ideal of rational self interest/egoism. Of being an end in and of myself. Of serving my own self interest, and my own goals, and not feeling guilty about someone elses situation of their own making. Its still taking some getting used to, and I'm still having some trouble figuring out exactly how what I believe now affects what I believed in the past (for example I was pro life, however now I see things differently but haven't exactly rationalized what I believe yet other than it is any individuals right to choose.) Its an interesting journey, and I know I've only taken the first few steps and have a long road ahead of me, but I'm eager to travel it.