Objectivism Online Forum

On the question of free-will vs. determinism

Rate this topic

Let's say I am a paraplegic individual and can not move my body or eyes, and there is a spot in my vision due to brain damage. I could correctly state that according to my perception, there exists a blackbody in my field of view which is absorbing all light. I could go so far as to say that the object was self evident. However, because my view of the matter is operating from flawed information, the self evidence of my proposed blackbody is not in fact valid proof of its existence.
So, you do not trust the evidence provided by your own senses? Then how do you know there is even such a thing as a paraplegic? How do you know there are such things as "body", "eyes" and "vision"?

The reason it was invoked in the free will discussion was that I wanted to ensure that the argument stating "I perceive choice, therefore it exists" was not used. It's the same as the blackbody example. If we are in fact unable to choose freely, we certainly wouldn't be able to prove it ourselves. A third party could potentially measure all of the mental inputs going into an act to determine whether it was independent of causality, or physical laws could be invoked to explain the phenomenon. Those are valid arguments. Self evidence independent of empirical validation is not.
If you do not trust the validity of your senses, how do you know what arguments have or have not been used?

The only way to know that an argument is valid, is to use a process of observation and reason, governed by logic, to test whether or not the argument corresponds to reality. If you do not possess volition, then you do not know whether you have engaged in such a process or not; maybe you did, or maybe determinism is just making you think you did. How, then, do you know that any argument is valid?

No power on earth can force you to acknowledge that you possess volition and depend on the validity of your senses. But every claim to knowledge presupposes both of these facts, including any claim that volition and the validity of the senses are not self-evident.

Felipe, everything that exists is measurable. We may not be able to measure it, but that does not mean that it can not be measured. Things that are not currently measurable are called theories, and are certainly not self evident by nature.
The rule you brought to the debate didn't seem to be a condition on existents, it seemed like a rule about concepts as such, since you made a statement about "phenomena" and "anti-concepts." For example, take the concept "differentiability" in mathematics. There is nothing directly measurable about this concept. Building the conceptual chain from the concept "identity" to "unit" to "variable" to "change" to "differentiability" one sees that, yes, this concept inevitably begins at sense-perception and satisfies measurability. I agree that all existents are measurable, but your rule didn't seem to be a condition on existents, it seemed to be a condition on concepts and, without specificity, direct measurability, without mentioning conceptual chains or the senses. That is all I'm getting at.

Regardless, note that measurability is not axiomatic, that is, it is a sub-concept in the process of validation, which is a concept dependent on volition.

Edited by Felipe

The reason I included that rule was this:

Let's say I am a paraplegic individual and can not move my body or eyes, and there is a spot in my vision due to brain damage. I could correctly state that according to my perception, there exists a blackbody in my field of view which is absorbing all light. I could go so far as to say that the object was self evident. However, because my view of the matter is operating from flawed information, the self evidence of my proposed blackbody is not in fact valid proof of its existence.

It would be self-evident to him that he see's a black spot, that's it. There is no more knowledge he can gain about it, given his present situation. This is to say, it is not self-evident that the black dot is a "black body". The two posts before me, do a good job showing my beliefs as well.

Edited by Praxus

In my opinion, the process by which we acquire knowledge follows a similar process by which courts are governed. We are presented with or discover a piece of information, and we must put it up to trial. Do we consider it to be most likely true beyond a reasonable doubt?

For the things that we believe we know, the answer is yes. However, the fallibility of this method is the reason for the existence of subjectivism, and the source of all disagreement between "facts." I would suggest that self evidence is tied directly to one's worldview, and individuals with different worldviews (yes, this is getting subjective, and justifiably so) might disagree on things.

What is self evident to one person may conflict with the basic logical framework of another. For this reason, I think that citing self evidence as an argument should be avoided unless discussing more concrete and tangible things.

How do we know that we aren't brains in a lab being stimulated to see what happens? We don't. How do we know that we're not in a permenant dream of an individual in a coma? We don't. But these things are false beyond a reasonable doubt. In the case of free will, I don't think that the evidence is strong enough to consider free will to be a concrete. I understand that a lot of you don't agree, but that's why we debate things.

In my opinion, the process by which we acquire knowledge follows a similar process by which courts are governed. We are presented with or discover a piece of information, and we must put it up to trial. Do we consider it to be most likely true beyond a reasonable doubt?

How do we know that we aren't brains in a lab being stimulated to see what happens? We don't. How do we know that we're not in a permenant dream of an individual in a coma? We don't. But these things are false beyond a reasonable doubt. In the case of free will, I don't think that the evidence is strong enough to consider free will to be a concrete. I understand that a lot of you don't agree, but that's why we debate things.

What you fail to grasp is that any attempt to "put to trial" any "information" inevitably and inescapably presupposes that you possess volition and that your senses are valid.

The process of evaluating a potential piece of "information" consists of observing the evidence (which means, choosing to use one's senses), then employing a process of reason, governed by logic (which means, choosing to think) to determine whether or not the "information" corresponds to reality. Thus, to evaluate any claim to knowledge presupposes that one's senses are valid and that one possesses volition -- and more: any claim to knowledge presupposes the same things.

Conversely, if you do not possess volition, then you are not in control of your mind. If you are not in control of your mind, then you do not know whether your beliefs are the result of evaluating information as I described above, or merely the product of deterministic forces of which you are not aware. If you do not possess volition, it is not within your power to "put to trial" anything.

Frankly, I don't believe that you actually doubt that you possess free will. If you do, if you actually consider it possible that the content of your brain is determined, then why would you propose to debate the truth of that content? What is the point? If our beliefs are determined, then persuasion is an utterly futile notion.

*chuckle* Dr. Peikoff had some amusing things to say about that. (Paraphrasing)

We are to take, as given, that electrodes exist, that scientists exist, that scientists may go mad, and that they may be controlling our minds, but the perceptually self-evident is to be taken as conditional and subject to doubt.

If you want to see my argument against free will, look in the debate forum. I've laid out my argument as clearly as I plan to, and I'm not supposed to support that opinion outside of the debate forum because it's against Objectivist ideology. If you can find fault in my argument on that forum, feel free to PM me.

If that's all the clearer you intend to present your position, I don't see how you can possibly expect anyone to accept it.

In the case of free will, I don't think that the evidence is strong enough to consider free will to be a concrete.

Here you are proposing an alternative to the self evidence of free will. An "alternative choice" presupposes the free will to choose between multiple choices.

/Bryan

*sigh* I don't think that people don't make choices. That would be ridiculous. Free will supposes that a potential that you did not choose could have been chosen. I posit that this is not true, because you did not choose it, nor could you have given the mental processes that led up to your choice. These mental processes are tied directly to physical law, and therefore you can not say that the mental processes could have occurred any differently than they did. That has nothing to do with choice.

*sigh* I don't think that people don't make choices. That would be ridiculous. Free will supposes that a potential that you did not choose could have been chosen. I posit that this is not true, because you did not choose it, nor could you have given the mental processes that led up to your choice.
I see. This means that people make choices, but they have no choice about the choice they make.

These mental processes are tied directly to physical law, and therefore you can not say that the mental processes could have occurred any differently than they did. That has nothing to do with choice.
What is your proof that all "processes" "tied to physical law" must be deterministic?

What is your proof that all "processes" "tied to physical law" must be deterministic?

Hmm... I'll give it a shot...

Effects have causes: Objects at rest stay at rest unless acted upon by an unbalanced force (Newton's First Law).

Effects are determined by the cause: An object will move in the direction the unbalanced force pushed it (Newton's Second Law).

The human brain is a part of the nervous system, and is very complex. Here's a basic summary of how it works..

Nervous systems are composed of neurons, which react to stimuli. Neural networks are programmed to react to specific stimuli in specific ways. A human nervous system is not magical, it can be synthesized using mathematics (See here for explanation).

Thought is a symptom of neurological activity, not a cause. It's hard to find a good source that completely shows this, but here's one that does a good job, I think.

And yes, all mental functions are measurable in different parts of the brain. Here's a map.

I don't know what it will take to get you all to at least consider that your brain is not a magical place where physics doesn't apply. You reject the fact that the original name for the free will you insist exists was the "soul," and don't see the connection between physical determinism and your neuronal makeup. I don't really know what to tell you.

So, you think we are free to "at least consider" determinism? That is a contradiction.

Our ordinary language isnt dependent on the falsity of determinism - expressions like that are just a way of speaking. You can think about words like 'choice', as used outside of philosophical contexts, as being 'metaphorical' (although thats misleading - its just a different context). If we really wanted to, we could replace all occurance of words like 'choose' etc in day-to-day life with alternative neurobiological terminology - theres just no point. This is the language we learned, and its difficult to change our way of speaking. But this has nothing to do with whether physical determinism is actually true.

We all know the implicit conditions under which sentences like "I was free to choose" as used in everyday speech (outside of philosophy) are true and false. And none of these are dependent upon neuroscientific facts. But in philosophy, things are different. Its a matter of context.

Edited by Hal

Our ordinary language isnt dependent on the falsity of determinism - expressions like that are just a way of speaking.
Our "ordinary language" depends on words having a specific meaning. If man does not have the capacity to choose, it is nonsense to say that he makes choices.

You can think about words like 'choice', as used outside of philosophical contexts, as being 'metaphorical' (although thats misleading - its just a different context).
Do words refer to something specific or not?

If we really wanted to, we could replace all occurance of words like 'choose' etc in day-to-day life with alternative neurobiological terminology - theres just no point.
If we really wanted to, we could claim that a consciousness that functions automatically is the same thing as a consciousness that functions volitionally. But such a claim is still a contradiction, no matter what new terminology you introduce.

This is the language we learned, and its difficult to change our way of speaking. But this has nothing to do with whether physical determinism is actually true.
So you think it is appropriate to permit the advocate of determinism to speak of our "choices" just because that is the language he happened to learn? In other words, "A is A" is just a way of speaking, and if someone suggests that "A can be A and non-A at the same time and in the same respect", we cannot reject it merely because it is inconsistent with our manner of speaking.

We all know the implicit conditions under which sentences like "I was free to choose" as used in everyday speech (outside of philosophy) are true and false. And none of these are dependent upon neuroscientific facts. But in philosophy, things are different. Its a matter of context.
I cannot think of a context in which it is not a contradiction to demand the we consider the possibility that we have no choice over what we do or do not consider.

Our "ordinary language" depends on words having a specific meaning. If man does not have the capacity to choose, it is nonsense to say that he makes choices.

Do words refer to something specific or not?[/

But what it means to make a 'choice' is context dependent. Words are used in different ways in different situations. For instance, it is correct to say in ordinary language that tables are solid. But in the context of atomic physics, it might be correct to say that tables arent solid, eg to emphasis that most of matter is actually empty space. And there is no contradiction here - the word 'solid' is being used in a different way. There are specific criteria for an object being solid when we use that word normally, but these are not necessarily the criteria which have to be used in physics. Similarly, there are criteria for 'people making choices', and these normally relate to external circumstances, such as someone pointing a gun at their head. But we wouldnt normally say that someone had no choice because of the determinacy of physics, unless we were doing philosophy. That just isnt what the word 'choice' means in its usual context. When someone says "I chose X" outside of philosophy, he is not advancing or supporting a neuroscientific theory. Its just a way of speaking which we inherited from the people who taught us the English language.

So you think it is appropriate to permit the advocate of determinism to speak of our "choices" just because that is the language he happened to learn?
Noone is advocating anything, its just the way we speak. We dont necessarily advocate Christianity when we say things like "God bless you". Words and phrases can have different meanings in different contexts, and philosophy tends to be a context of its own.

Do we advocate a false theory of perception when we say "Roses are red"? Of course not - even though this is technically nonsense and we should be saying "roses have the capacity to cause humans with normal cognitive apparatus to experience redness under a certain set of external circumstances". But this is long winded, and theres no obvious benefit to adopting this mode of expression.

I cannot think of a context in which it is not a contradiction to demand the we consider the possibility that we have no choice over what we do or do not consider.
Neuroscience or philosophy for instance. But having no choice because of neurodeterminism doesnt prevent you from feeling that you have a choice, nor does it prevent you from adopting the same mode of speech as everyone else. Similarly, being a physicist doesnt prevent you from talking about red roses and solid tables.

Trying to dismiss those advocating a certain scientific theory on the grounds that they arent prepared to invent a whole new private language for everyday use is absurd. All that matters is that we can theoretically replace "I chose X" with "I felt like I had the capacity to choose X even though I know that this feeling was a result of chemical events in my brain" in our sentences - we dont need to actually do.

Edited by Hal

You contradict yourself with this...

“I don't think that people don't make choices.”

and this...

“Free will supposes that a potential that you did not choose could have been chosen. I posit that this is not true, because you did not choose it, nor could you have given the mental processes that led up to your choice.”

Your statement is logically inconsistent. Either you are aware of available choices or you are not - i.e. put in the cognitive effort to evaluate alternate choices, or you haven’t - you can not “eat your cake and have it too” on your position on whether *choice* exists.

As an example, I can differentiate two values on a hierarchical scale. Such as, do I purchase a larger, more costly SUV that I happen to like, or choose a smaller, more economical vehicle and put the money I save to other purposes. I can examine variables as purchase cost, mileage, insurance, reliability etc. of the two choices. I could call my insurance company for price quotes on both vehicles, check Consumer Reports for the reliability history of each vehicle etc. Upon picking one vehicle, the facts and conclusions on the merits of the other choice do not wink out of existence. Example - buyers remorse anyone?

Someone previously pointed out you are dropping the context of identity “mind” and treating “mind and “brain” as if they have the same identity - as if they are interchangeable, They are not. If I remember correctly, Dr. Piekoff has a lengthy explanation of this in OPAR.

No one who has stated that *mind* has a unique, separable identity from *brain*, has placed *mind* in the realm of magic.

Finally, prefacing your comments with an exasperated *sigh* does nothing to forward (or legitimize) your position. I’ve noticed you have done this a couple times now - here and in another thread. This could be interpreted an an “Argument from Intimidation” tactic.

/Bryan

The sighs are from people continually using the "if we don't have free will, how can I act?" argument no matter how many times I say that actions have nothing to do with it. Hal raised a good point though, in critiquing the use of the word "choice." I will define:

Choice: Electing to pursue a course of action.

Humans clearly possess the ability to choose. Place a cup in front of an ant. It will observe the obstruction, and then attempt to determine the best way to get around it. When the ant chooses a course of action, it will not be an act of free will. It will be an act of neurobiological determinism. When a human is presented with a situation in which they must determine which course of action they should pursue, they certainly do make a choice, just like any animal.

The question is whether or not you could have elected to pursue an action that you did not choose to pursue. Free will supposes that you could. I would argue that the mental processes that went into your conclusion unfolded exactly as they should have, and no other outcome was possible.

But what it means to make a 'choice' is context dependent. Words are used in different ways in different situations. For instance, it is correct to say in ordinary language that tables are solid. But in the context of atomic physics, it might be correct to say that tables arent solid, eg to emphasis that most of matter is actually empty space. And there is no contradiction here - the word 'solid' is being used in a different way.
This is irrelevant because we are not talking about the meaning of a word in two different contexts.

There are specific criteria for an object being solid when we use that word normally, but these are not necessarily the criteria which have to be used in physics. Similarly, there are criteria for 'people making choices', and these normally relate to external circumstances, such as someone pointing a gun at their head. But we wouldnt normally say that someone had no choice because of the determinacy of physics, unless we were doing philosophy.
If you say that a table is both solid and non-solid, at the same time and in the same respect, you are guilty of a contradiction, whether you are "doing philosophy" or not.

The fact that a word can have different meanings in different contexts does not justify using it to mean two completely different things in the same context. Either man has the power to choose or he does not. If volition is only an illusion, then man does not have the power to choose and one cannot say that man makes choices. You cannot arbitrarily re-define the concept “choice” to include both actual choice and the illusion of choice; the term does not and cannot mean both things at the same time.

If volition is only an illusion, then persuasion and discussion are impossible, futile and out the door – and under such conditions it is ridiculous to propose a debate about the truth of anything.

That just isnt what the word 'choice' means in its usual context. When someone says "I chose X" outside of philosophy, he is not advancing or supporting a neuroscientific theory. Its just a way of speaking which we inherited from the people who taught us the English language.

Implicit in saying, “I chose X” is the notion that one has the power of choice. To say, “I chose X, but I don’t mean to imply that I have any power of choice” is to declare that one does not know what one is talking about.

So you think it is appropriate to permit the advocate of determinism to speak of our "choices" just because that is the language he happened to learn?

Noone is advocating anything, its just the way we speak. We dont necessarily advocate Christianity when we say things like "God bless you". Words and phrases can have different meanings in different contexts, and philosophy tends to be a context of its own.

Determinism is not a throw-away phrase like, “God bless you”. You cannot change the meaning of the doctrine of determinism by declaring that it is not meant to be taken seriously.

Do we advocate a false theory of perception when we say "Roses are red"? Of course not - even though this is technically nonsense and we should be saying "roses have the capacity to cause humans with normal cognitive apparatus to experience redness under a certain set of external circumstances". But this is long winded, and theres no obvious benefit to adopting this mode of expression.
That is worse than long-winded; it indicates a fundamental failure to understand the nature and purpose of concepts. The fact that we perceive an object’s attributes by means of our senses, which function by means of a specific mechanism, does not mean that the attribute does not exist.

Furthermore, even if the statement were “technically nonsense”, this would not justify the misuse of concepts in other cases. One error cannot justify another error.

Neuroscience or philosophy for instance. But having no choice because of neurodeterminism doesnt prevent you from feeling that you have a choice, nor does it prevent you from adopting the same mode of speech as everyone else.
True, nothing can prevent you from making self-contradictory statements right and left. You are free to use the term "ambulatory" when you actually mean "crippled". But this won't obliterate the distinction between a man in a wheel chair and a man walking down the street.

Trying to dismiss those advocating a certain scientific theory on the grounds that they arent prepared to invent a whole new private language for everyday use is absurd.

There is no need to invent a whole new language. Just make proper use of the language we already have. Don't say, "man makes choices" when you mean, "man has no power of choice, it is all an illusion". And when you assert that "man has no power of choice", don't be upset if we take you at your word and assume that you do not and cannot know what you are talking about, because you are not in control of your mind and do not know the source or validity of its content.

All that matters is that we can theoretically replace "I chose X" with "I felt like I had the capacity to choose X even though I know that this feeling was a result of chemical events in my brain" in our sentences - we dont need to actually do.
No, you don't need to do it if your objective is to hide the actual meaning of your ideas. You only need to use language properly if you wish to be clear and understood.

You cannot simply declare that “choice” can mean both actual choice and the illusion of choice, and that when one uses the term “choice”, one is entitled to claim either meaning. That is the equivalent of declaring that existence means both actual existence and the mere illusion of existence. Such an approach to concepts destroys their validity by declaring that the referents of a concept may be real and unreal -- at the same time and in the same respect.

Humans clearly possess the ability to choose.

I would argue that the mental processes that went into your conclusion unfolded exactly as they should have, and no other outcome was possible.

In other words, man has the ability to choose, but he does not have any choice about which choice he will choose. Used in that fashion, the term "choice" is meaningless.

In other words, man has the ability to choose, but he does not have any choice about which choice he will choose. Used in that fashion, the term "choice" is meaningless.

http://paincenter.stanford.edu/research/rtfmristudy.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4524138.stm

At this point, I am neither for or against self-evident volition.

This study seems to suggest that volition does exist. However, I believe that most neuroscientists (those that I've either talked to or read about) would argue that volition is simply a result of neural mechanics.

It seems that if something is self-evident, there is no need to ask "Why?" and there is now need to ask "How?" However, I can't help but pose the following question:

In the context of evolution, when did man acquire volition, and how? I can't imagine that some thousand years ago an ape was simply born with volition and now here we are today. Musn't there have been some kind of evolution of volition? If so, how would that work? If not, how was it simply acquired? Did God give the apes volition (I'm joking - but you see my point)?

Note: Although I'm neither for or against volition, I do think that - at this point - accepting volition as a self-evident fact is the best way for "living on earth." I can't see how accepting any alternative would be more or as productive. Like donnywithana said,

Ouch, you're making me refer to Kant, and I hate doing that. Kant said that reason must assume freedom as a condition of its existence in order to act, even if freedom was not actually a fact of its existence. An ape does not have free will, but it also does not know that it does not have free will and could not conceive of not having it, no matter what level of intelligence it attained. Namely, man.
Edited by NewYorkRoark

I'm neither for or against volition...
Without the existence of free-will, the idea of being "for" or "against" anything is meaningless. Therefore, if you're "not for or against free-will," don't exercise the free-will you're unsure exists by posting on this forum, or doing anything for that matter. Abstain from using your free-will, since you're not certain it exists, by just lying in your bed and vegetating. Oh wait, even that entails a choice. Nevermind. Edited by Felipe

Without the existence of free-will, the concept of being "for" or "against" anything is meaningless. Therefore, if you're "not for or against free-will," don't exercise the free-will you're unsure exists by posting on this forum, or doing anything for that matter. Abstain from using your free-will, since you're not certain it exists, by just lying in your bed and vegetating. Oh wait, even that entails a choice. Nevermind.

Please see the note. I'm saying that I do not have enough confidence in either option to commit to one or the other. However, for the sake of living on earth as I know it, I agree that "reason must assume freedom as a condition of its existence in order to act, even if freedom was not actually a fact of its existence." I don't think it's impossible to act on an assumption while at the same time investigating whether or not that assumption is fact or fiction.

But I don't want to go in this direction, I'd rather have an answer to my question, which was:

In the context of evolution, when did man acquire volition, and how? I can't imagine that some thousand years ago an ape was simply born with volition and now here we are today. Musn't there have been some kind of evolution of volition? If so, how would that work? If not, how was it simply acquired? Did God give the apes volition (I'm joking - but you see my point)?
Edited by NewYorkRoark

But I don't want to go in this direction, I'd rather have an answer to my question...
But you don't understand, philosophizing can't be done "mid-stream." All of knowledge is connected into an integrated, hierarchical whole. If you aren't convinced that free-will exists, you will not be allowed, here, to get away with using it to attain more knowledge that, unfortunately for you and your notions on free-will, depend on free-will.

Without the existence of volition, you can't: choose to act on assumption; discover the concept of "confidence"; or discover the notion of "alternative" in order to deliberate between alternatives. The notion of "waiting for more evidence" or for "proof" has no meaning without the existence of free-will. Ask yourself why the notion of "proof" is meaningless to animals. Do ants seek proof that building a hill is for their best interest before they build it? (Or are you postulating also that it is uncertain whether any entity does or doesn't have free-will?) Would the concept of "proof" arise without a being with the necessity to justify the actions it takes when faced with alternatives?

In short, you can't choose to respond to my objections without the existence of free-will. So, perhaps you should make the one final choice available to you should you follow the logical consequence of the notion that free-will is possibly not valid: stop using it until you are certain it exists.

Edited by Felipe

I took out all of my assertions (or lack thereof). I'm just asking a question now. It's almost more of a history question than a philosophical question. When did man acquire volition?

Edited by NewYorkRoark