Objectivism Online Forum

Indy 500

Rate this topic

Tonight we embark on a trip to Indianapolis to view the racing spectacle known as the Indy 500!!! While I'm not normally a race fan, the opportunity to see hugely famous event is thrilling.

My son's marching band (First Colonial High School Marching Patriots) will be participating in the Pre-Race Pagent the day before the race. If they perform well enough, which I suspect they will, they will be selected to participate in the Parade on race day, which is supposed to be televised (at least in part) on ESPN2.

I have been able to experience (vicariously) a couple of events which are likely to be once-in-a-lifetime type situations. Some of you may remember that last year my son's wind ensemble played in Carnegie Hall as part of the Spring Music Festival. Only 3 high school bands are selected from across the country each year to participate in that event based on audition. That was simply fantastic! The trip was too short, but we did get to see a bit of NYC.

All I can say is, MY SON IS AWESOME!!! I'm one happy father!

We just got back and that was a truly incredible experience! The whoosh around that 2 1/2 mile track in about 45 seconds. We were between turns 3 and 4. Except for seeing them into, through and out of the turns, the cars were just a blur as they pass in front of you, and then only if you are close enough to the track as they hug the wall so closely that it's difficult to see them from the stands.

Danica Patrick's performance was no less than phenomenal, despite her not winnning the race. She did acheive the highest position ever attained by a first time rookie driver finishing 4th place. That came after quickly avoiding a near race-ending wreck, dropping to 16th place at one point and then having a collision that required a replacement of her "wing" assembly. For her, all the top finishers, the pit crews and the safety crews, every step of the way was the picture of human exellence in action!

My son plays the trumpet. During the next two years, he is expected to be the "star" player for the wind ensemble, the marching band, and the jazz band. He's developed quite a bit over the last two years, as I expect he will over the next two. Next year the band is looking at Washington, DC, possibly playing in the Kennedy Center. For my son's senior year, the band director indicates another "big" trip, but has not let on yet what it will be. It's hard to top Carnegie Hall and the Indy 500.

We just got back and that was a truly incredible experience!  The whoosh around that 2 1/2 mile track in about 45 seconds.  We were between turns 3 and 4.  Except for seeing them into, through and out of the turns, the cars were just a blur as they pass in front of you, and then only if you are close enough to the track as they hug the wall so closely that it's difficult to see them from the stands.

Danica Patrick's performance was no less than phenomenal, despite her not winnning the race.  She did acheive the highest position ever attained by a first time rookie driver finishing 4th place.  That came after quickly avoiding a near race-ending wreck, dropping to 16th place at one point and then having a collision that required a replacement of her "wing" assembly.  For her, all the top finishers, the pit crews and the safety crews, every step of the way was the picture of human exellence in action!

My son plays the trumpet.  During the next two years, he is expected to be the "star" player for the wind ensemble, the marching band, and the jazz band.  He's developed quite a bit over the last two years, as I expect he will over the next two.  Next year the band is looking at Washington, DC, possibly playing in the Kennedy Center.  For my son's senior year, the band director indicates another "big" trip, but has not let on yet what it will be.  It's hard to top Carnegie Hall and the Indy 500.

Floor of the Hoosier Dome for BOA Grand National Finals certainly ranks above the 500...

Floor of the Hoosier Dome for BOA Grand National Finals certainly ranks above the 500...

In the strict context of the band performance, I agree. The BOA Grand Championship is certainly a possibility, but there are many other venues and events he will be considering.

In the four years our current band director has been in charge, the marching band has grown close to three times it's previous size. Like any team development, good bands grow over time and require a fair amount of monetary resources. Their level of performance has improved quite a bit, but as to whether they are Grand National Finals candidates is uncertain. Our band director tries to pick events that provide a comparable level of competition and experiences outside simply the band playing. Indy was the exception. There was no real level of competition involved, other than to do their personal best to look good before 250,000+ people and on national TV. However, it was a decent test of endurance. The parade route and the track performance were 2.5 miles each.

The Jazz Band is another matter. My son also participates in that as do several of the other more dedicated band members, They have a much better shot at the higher competitive level events. They could have competed at the Berkley Jazz Festival this year if funds had not been an issue. There are two rounds of qualification for that event, a taped audition just to apply for the festival, and another live performance after that. They "passed" the taped audition segment, but due to budget issues, they could not follow up by going on the trip. Since our spring trip next year won't be so "big", they will in all likelihood compete in that next year.

Seperate from the public school opportunities, my son may try out for DCI this year, if we can personally afford it and meet the somewhat demanding schedule. He's looking at the Crossmen, the Cadets or maybe Carolina Crown (largely because of where we live).

Do you play trombone?  Dare I hope to find the first other O'ist trombone player other than myself?

I was first BASS trombone in jazz, concert, marching, and everything else. There are few things that make me smile so kindly upon high school as the warm and unsympathetic sounds that came out of my trombone before rehearsals at 6am.....

Do you play trombone?  Dare I hope to find the first other O'ist trombone player other than myself?

Yup, I'm a trombone player ;) but in my band, we always said, "Low brass kicks ass", but then again we weren't a classy bunch.

I'll also play bass bone, under pain of death :P

I love my Bach 42A, but there's nothing on this earth that makes me happier than screamin' something jazzy on the King 2B.