Objectivism Online Forum

Please Consider Signing This Petition

Rate this topic

Please follow the link below to sign a petition opposing federal government regulation of dog breeders. For those of us who love purebred dogs, this is an ominous sign of future government interference. Remember that the first federal income tax was a mere 1/2% or 1% (I forget which).

Opposition to PAWS legislation

Thanks for your help!!

Edited by To the Dogs

Please follow the link below to sign a petition opposing federal government regulation of dog breeders.
Speaking on behalf of all of my canine brethren, you should sign this pretition only if you actually support the Animal Welfare Act, which is what signing their petition asserts that you do.

Speaking on behalf of all of my canine brethren, you should sign this pretition only if you actually support the Animal Welfare Act, which is what signing their petition asserts that you do.

You can modify your opposition for PAWS by adding comments in the space provided -- this is what I have told friends to do. You can say you oppose ALL government interference in animal breeding.

Sorry, should have added that here!

Just a bump, but note that Leonard Peikoff signed it, adding comments along the lines I've suggested.

In reading the comments I've noticed, of course, that many (even most) of the opposition to this bill is unprincipled. But the AKC is even MORE unprincipled (if that's even possible) -- it has decided not to oppose it!

One good element in the comments -- people have objected to the fact that the bill will punish the BEST among breeders: those productive and successful breeders who have improved the genetic lines of their breeds.

Just a bump, but note that Leonard Peikoff signed it, adding comments along the lines I've suggested.
Just a bump to say that I can't find Leonard Peikoff's sig there. Entry 754 is attributed to Mrs. P and says 'This measure is a step onto a slippery slope of government protecting non-existent "rights.",' but I don't have a strong reason to think that really is her. The most recent entry (as of now) is bogus, so I'm tabula rasa on the legitimacy of 754. I'm suspicious about 46. Anyhow, the point is that such sub-protestations would be drowned in the overriding message asserted by the petition. It's a pity they had to mess up a simple petition in opposition to government interference with human rights.

Just a bump to say that I can't find Leonard Peikoff's sig there. Entry 754 is attributed to Mrs. P and says 'This measure is a step onto a slippery slope of government protecting non-existent "rights.",' but I don't have a strong reason to think that really is her. The most recent entry (as of now) is bogus, so I'm tabula rasa on the legitimacy of 754. I'm suspicious about 46. Anyhow, the point is that such sub-protestations would be drowned in the overriding message asserted by the petition. It's a pity they had to mess up a simple petition in opposition to government interference with human rights.

Mrs. P is a major dog fanatic. It's her. My thought was that if enough principled people from this board signed and added comments, it could make a difference when the petition is delivered to its "target." In any event, it's probably a moot point, as the AKC is not opposing the legislation. It's only a matter of time before the good pet breeders start "shrugging," I'm afraid. Many do it only as a hobby, and with the license fees and invasions of privacy, who will want to continue?

"You'll find a way, Mr. Rearden." :-(

This is not animal welfare so much as protected business welfare.  Raising the operating costs of small breeders is a way of protecting large breeders from competition.

Hmm . . . a little Orren Boyle action. And imagine that they are teaming up with the AR groups, too. Of course they (large breeders) are shooting themselves in the foot, too, but they don't think long range.

Thanks, Dave, for your help. It may indeed all be for naught, but I wanted to get some more principled opposition to "PAWS" and see if it would help the cause.

Now I want to go take a second look at the petition against the AKC and see if that has anything to do with its unprincipled stand on this issue.

Bumping this just in case I can get a few more signatures and principled comments from people on this list. The petition's stated goal is to get 2000 signatures, and now there are under 1200. If you can spare a few minutes to make some blistering comments on government regulation of animal breeding, it would be great!

Thanks for your time.Click here to access online petition

• 2 weeks later...