Objectivism Online Forum

Hello

Rate this topic

Hello to all.

I'm new to the forum as of today. I'm a servicemember in the airforce, and I'm residing in Okinawa Japan. I've been pretty much an objectivist my whole life- before I even knew who Ayn Rand was. I will admit that it was a modified version of Objectivism, but I feel that I'm finally on the right path now. Something finally clicked. Whenever you get a medal in the military, they present it to you in front of your flight- or platoon if you will. In every medal presentation to you, they mention Myself and Self-Sacrifice- and that makes me cringe. I do what I do because I like what I do. I feel that it benefits me, first and foremost, and I feel that a man's freedom is worth fighting for, while fighting for my own on the battlefield. And that is why I'm here. I feel misunderstood, and most people don't like the way I think or act. I feel more at home with people who understand me better.

I look forward to discussing the various topics in this forum with you.

Lucent....

I'd like to pick your brain about a few things if you dont mind....

For a while now I've been concerned about the need for US troop placements in europe and asia.(I'd much rather see them migrating to say Afghanistan or Iraq) I am inclined to think that if we withdrew substantial amounts of troops from Japan, Germany and some other places, those countries might be convinced to begin building real militaries.

1. Do you think that the Political Climate in Japan would be able to support a growth in Japan's military?

2. Do you think that the Japanese "Military" is strategically/logistically prepared to grow should it be forced to by a large downsizing of American Presence there.

3. Do you think that the American Military establishment in Japan would actively oppose their movement?

Please do not take these questions as under-estimating the work that is Done there. It is precisely because I believe that the caliber of work is high that I support making those skills available in other regions. I also do not want to convey the idea that I am for immediete shutdown of the bases.

I don't mind at all, Old Geezer, but please bear in mind,that my opinions on these matters are based solely upon what has been told to me by my command.

1. First of all, Okinawa used to be an independent nation- in the sense that it was independent from mainland Japan. They don't even consider themselves Japanese- but Okinawans. I don't agree with this at all, since multi-culturism comes into play with this aspect. They are people, short and simple. But back on the subject at hand. The island of Okinawa is small and a very large amount of the population(can't give an exact amount) is populated by american soldiers, airman, marines, and seamen. Most of Okinawa's economy is bolstered by us being here, meaning- they get most of their money from us. That includes money for their defense department. To be honest, they have a really high un-employment rate in Okinawa. Homeless people are quite abundant on the streets of Okinawa. I don't know about mainland Japan, every region is different.

There are a vast majority of Okinwan's, however, who don't want us here. They feel that they can take care of themselves. Whether they can or not, I can't say for sure- at least not until that scenario would be in place of the one we have here today.

2 In my opinion- no, I really don't think so. Since they are dependant upon us for their main source of income(from drunk marines in bars, and the extra expenses that they charge americans for housing), I think that if we just immediately up and left, they would take years to rebuild to where they want to be- which includes defensive forces. We've occupied the country for decades, and they've more or less gotten used to that fact. Should we leave, I feel that they would suffer.

3 I'm unsure as far as who's movement you're referring to. If you mean American movement- no. Not at all. Most of them do not want us here. As a matter of fact, an Okinawan woman handed me a flyer on Washington's birthday that basically told the history of the takeover of Okinwa by American forces and thanked us for being here, but we really aren't needed here.

4 This is a little side note. We are in Japan and Okinawa for very strategic reasons, mostly involving Korea. I can't say much more though. As far as I feel about the whole thing, I do feel that our militant skills, resources, and personnel are stretched way too far for what we are trying to accomplish. I've been in for nearly five years, and this is the first base where I've finally realized that I've had enough. I have three years left on my contract. I will honor that contract without question, then I will move on and live my life the way I see fit.

I hope I've answered your questions in the way that you requested. These are my personal thoughts and opinions, based largely upon facts.