Objectivism Online Forum

A Bit About Me

Rate this topic

Where to begin . . .

I'm 45. Over the years I've picked up various degrees in philosophy, fine art, political science, etc. The most cleverly-titled degree cites "Justice, Morality and Constitutional Democracy" as my major.

English is my mother tongue. I am competent (some might say "fluent", but I know better) in both written and spoken German. A lifetime ago (it seems) I could read ancient Greek, but I'd hate to try it today.

I am a photographer by trade at the moment. I also teach photography. And I self-publish a small, quarterly newsletter (on an obscure automotive-related topic) to about 1,000 subscribers. I have built and operated several small businesses at various points in my life -- the longest-lasting being a computer/network business (sales, service, consulting, training, etc.)

I am something of an "exchange artist", one might say. I seem to have a talent for turning my hobbies/interests/passions into small businesses and finding others who value my miscellaneous talents enough to exchange for them.

I was born and raised in Michigan, but I lived most of the past two decades in Colorado. I am currently giving the East Coast a try, however. (Connecticut, home of "Kelo v. New London")

I don't much care for labels, and I'm a lousy "follower". So I don't call myself an "Objectivist" -- or anything else for that matter. I simply am what I am.

My life has to date been focused around rational, purpose-driven activity; I've earned all I have and would like to keep it that way. I'm committed to re-earning the love and respect of my wife each day, as she is to earning and deserving mine. I don't feel as though anyone owes me anything, nor do I feel especially obligated to anyone else unless there's a fair exchange of values in it for me.

I've read most of Ayn Rand's fiction (a few of her novels multiple times), and I'm currently working on Leonard Peikoff's Objectivism: the Philosophy of Ayn Rand. I first bumbled across this forum as a result of a Google search (on the term "Rand", I suspect). I've lurked and read here for a while now, but only recently have I registered and created a post or two. I feel I have more to learn than to offer (aside from my questions) at the moment.

- Bill