Objectivism Online Forum

4th Of July

Rate this topic

gnargtharst

Here's wishing everybody on ObjectivismOnline.net a happy 4th of July. Thank you, Thomas Jefferson, for this best day in the history of humanity.

"...For ourselves, let the annual return of this day forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them..." [Jefferson; link to excerpt of letter at

http://publicpolicy.pepperdine.edu/academi...t/rogweight.htm]

Actually, how many people can say they have actually taken the time to sit down and read the Declaration itself? I know that we know the more important parts but the actual document itself is actually pretty interesting.

It gets surprisingly personal and is strikingly different from the constitution in its use of the English language. It is definitely meant to be a document that declares the addresses a list of grievances and says we are ready to fight over them.

It doesn't take long. You might enjoy it. Here is the link to the actual text. It's shorter than Anthem and dare I say had a greater effect on all our lives.

There are also those of us that question the state of society we live in today. Look at the list of grievances that they faced and the ones we face today. Quite interesting in stark contrast as well as when they are placed in context.

gnargtharst, thanks a ton. :thumbsup: It's been years since I took the time to read the Declaration. Kudos.

Ok, so I am replying to myself in a way but it just occured to me. I challenge you to actually take a minute and read it. Find a sentense you like and post it.

One of my favorite quotes is

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

Amazing in light of how people keep trying to screw with things like flag burning amendments and socialized medicine. How soon we forget. One evil tends to get replaced by another greater evil. But then a keen eye will see the next sentence and the obvious reply to my statement.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such government and to provide new guards for their future security.

How much longer will evils remain sufferable before they can be considered "a long train of abuses and usurpations?"

How much longer will evils remain sufferable before they can be considered "a long train of abuses and usurpations?"

Bingo! I somehow guessed you'd get the quote Moose. Of course, the hard part is the fine line of the what and when we consider the "the long train of abuses and usurpations." Look at the threads about the Liberty Hotel, etc as to whether there should tactical versus strategic action...

Still, I'd like to find other people's favorite quotes from the Declaration.

I thought a quote cogent to another of our threads about native american removal was

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.
. Basically, the colonists complain that the Indians were anarchists that knew no rule of law and that he was using their anarchism to play against the rights of the rights and lives of the colonists who knew the respect of common law.

My favorite part is actually in the draft that was submitted to Congress, but was eventually removed and part of it paraphrased.

We must endeavor to forget our former love for them, and hold them as we hold the rest of mankind, enemies in war, in peace friends. We might have been a free and a great people together; but a communication of grandeur & of freedom it seems is below their dignity. Be it so, since they will have it. The road to happiness & to glory is open to us too. We will tread it apart from them.