Objectivism Online Forum

Harry Potter And The Half-blood Prince

Rate this topic

Myself

I have just finished HPB yesterday and it was very different from what I expected. Not that I didn't enjoy the book, certain things leave me wondering...

Why did Snape leave his Potions textbook in the back of the classroom? Didn't he own the book? Seems a little too convenient.

Why did Snape decide to return to Voldemort? As characters mentioned in the book - what made Dumbledore trust Snape so much?

In the cave with the Horcrux - since the cup passed through the barrier why did someone have to drink the liquid inside? Couldn't he have just spilled it instead?

Who stole the Horcrux? Any ideas?

Isn't it becoming sort of trite for heroes to banish their loved ones when they need them most? (Harry and Ginny)

The only thing I wished was that the book was longer - by 200+ pages or so. I didn't really feel the flow of time in the book as well as it did in previous ones - a little extra material would have been nice. For instance they barely described Harry's NEWT classes or how Snape handled Defense Against the Dark Arts. Overall I enjoyed the book very much and await the final book (If she can manage to fit the ending in one book!)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I think  that book six might be the end of Dumbledore.

Moving on, the adult UK cover has an advanced potions book on it. Interesting... Does this mean that Harry somehow pulled an O on his potions OWL? I dunno, I'd buy an E, but not an O... Or perhaps did Snape get his long awaited position as DADA teacher? But Dumbledore didn't want him to do that... Maybe he told Snape that he had to let Harry into his class. I bet Snape would be pleased about that.  If the pattern holds true, then Advanced Potions will have a key role in book six. *cough* *cough* Half-Blood Prince anyone? We still don't know who Snape's parents were...

This was unbelievably close to what actually happened and posted months before the book came out. Hats off to "non-c". Down to the E in Potions... :D

Edited by Myself

I was actually wondering when Dumbledore was going to be killed off... I originally thought it would be Book 5, but no. Can't say I still wasn't sad when it happened, even though I had a good idea it was coming.

Maybe it was just me, but I didn't feel like we got a look at the entire year, classes and all that, like the previous books. I was glad that Harry got to be Quidditch Captain though. Stupid McLaggen...

One of my questions was about Wormtail. If Voldemort sent him to "serve/help" Snape, where was he the entire year? And how will his debt to Harry play out? I can't believe there's only one book left. And at least two more years before we see it. :(

Another thought has occurred to me... Did Snape really change his loyalties? The way Dumbledore died, you don't know if Snape was ignoring a request or obeying it. He even stops people from using the Crucio curse on Harry at the end.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it...

Another thought has occurred to me... Did Snape really change his loyalties?  The way Dumbledore died, you don't know if Snape was ignoring a request or obeying it... 

There is no way that he faked killing Dumbledore.

1. He used Avada Kadavara which no one can survive

2. Dumbledore would never "order Snape" to kill him

3. He only stopped anyone from hurting Harry because he was reserved for the Dark Lord.

Edited by Myself

Hahaha, I didn't even remember posting that. Wow. Creepy. Well, I'm not a Super Sleuth for nothing. :( Anyways, I am at the moment compiling a list of suspicious signs that Dumbledore knew that Snape (or someone) was going to kill him.

For starters:

Dumbledore would never beg for his life. I don't buy that at all.

Be sure to check it out my list and comment on my blog, I should have some of it up tonight. :)

Edited by non-contradictor

My guess for the person who stole the Horcrux would be Regulus Black. He was a death eater, and RAB used the title Dark Lord to address Voldemort, which is what Death Eaters call him. Also, his name has now turned up twice (or more) in passing, which is a bit strange for a character we aren't going to see again. Hmm, not to mention that the initials fit.

gosh I'm making a lot of typos

Edited by non-contradictor

This was unbelievably close to what actually happened and posted months before the book came out. Hats off to "non-c". Down to the E in Potions... :(

Thanks, by the way. ;) I forgot all about these theories of mine by the time I had the book in my hand. Well, except the one about Dumbledore. I had pretty much figured he was a goner. Especially after that betting leak in the city where the book was being published. Plus, once you read the chapter titles, it's pretty obvious who is going to die. "The Phoenix Lament" I think you can guess. :)

Another thought has occurred to me... Did Snape really change his loyalties?  The way Dumbledore died, you don't know if Snape was ignoring a request or obeying it.  He even stops people from using the Crucio curse on Harry at the end.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it...

I don't think so. I refuse to beleive that all Dumbledore's talk about death being the "next great adventure," and that there are things "much worth than death" came to naught in the end and he would beg for his life just like the next person. Nah, that's not Dumbledore. But I'll have more on this on my blog later. I want to have some good, solid, canon evidence for this kind of theory.

My guess for the person who stole the Horcrux would be Regulus Black. He was a death eater, and RAB used the title Dark Lord to address Voldemort, which is what Death Eaters call him. Also, his name has now turned up twice (or more) in passing, which is a bit strange for a character we aren't going to see again. Hmm, not to mention that the initials fit.

gosh I'm making a lot of typos

That was who I thought of as well. I'm wondering if the other two horcruxes might not be the other House items. Luna could end up being the Ravenclaw heir and Ernie McMillan the Hufflepuff heir. I don't have any solid evidence for this but it would give a reason as to why their characters have been around lately.

My theory is that Dumbledore is not in fact dead, but that he allowed Snape to kill him so that he would have a mole within the Death Eaters. Plus, with everyone thinking Dumbledore is dead, he will have the upperhand in aiding HP in the Final Battle. Remember, Dumbledore always had a reason for trusting Snape!!

Interesting theory but how do you explain that new portrait of Dumbledore in his office? Every headmaster has a portrait that appears there when they're dead. It's on page 626 of the US version. I think Dumbledore is going to help Harry as well in the 7th book but I figured he'd do it through the talking painting.

Also I've heard on other forums theories brought up that Lily Potter will turn out to be related to the Weasleys somehow...hence her red hair.

My theory is that Dumbledore is not in fact dead, but that he allowed Snape to kill him...

How was Dumbledore killed but not dead?

The Avada Kadavara curse is unblockable and cannot be survived...and that is what Snape used. Dumbledore is dead...

Edited by Free Thinker

How was Dumbledore killed but not dead?

:D , stupid mistake on my part. I mean that DD allowed Snape to attack him, and then he feigned dead.

Rowling, if she wants, can make loopholes around spells. Remember the spell that was supposed to kill HP, didn't! You never know....

Edited by Free Thinker

Interesting theory but how do you explain that new portrait of Dumbledore in his office? Every headmaster has a portrait that appears there when they're dead. It's on page 626 of the US version. I think Dumbledore is going to help Harry as well in the 7th book but I figured he'd do it through the talking painting.

I'm not sure. Maybe DD tricked the school into thinking that too. If he feignd dead, and no potrait appeared, then no one would believe he was dead.

My theory is that Dumbledore is not in fact dead, but that he allowed Snape to kill him so that he would have a mole within the Death Eaters. Plus, with everyone thinking Dumbledore is dead, he will have the upperhand in aiding HP in the Final Battle. Remember, Dumbledore always had a reason for trusting Snape!!

SPOILER!!!! You should put a warning sign! Man!

Edited by Free Thinker

I'm not sure. Maybe DD tricked the school into thinking that too. If he feignd dead, and no potrait appeared, then no one would believe he was dead.

Nah, I think the only way you'd get around DD being dead is if he was a phoenix, which, after all, I am not completely dismissing. That blast of flame at the funeral was quite interesting... But I think he's gone really. I'm expecting something to bring his voice back into the story, final instructions, a letter, a will, or the portrait, but I don't expect to see him as he was again. I think it was necessary for Harry to move on.

And Harry saw very clearly as he sat there under the hot sun how people who cared about him had stood in front of him one by one, his mother, his father, his godfather, and finally Dumbledore, all determined to protect him; but now that was over. He could not let anybody else stand between him and Voldemort; he must abandon forever the illusion he ought to have lost at the age of one, that the shelter of a parent's arms meant that nothing could hurt him. There was no waking from his nightmare, no comforting whisper in the dark that he was safe really, that it was all in his imagination; the last and greatest of his protectors had died, and he was more alone than he ahd ever been before.

You see? I think it took Dumbledore's death to allow Harry to do what he had to do. Do you think he would be able to leave Hogwarts if Dumbledore was still headmaster? Would Dumbledore have been able to let him? I am certain that Dumbledore would have stood in front of Harry eventually. The way he did it however, gives Harry the chance to "walk into the arena with his head held high," which, as Dumbledore was so keen to teach him, makes all the difference in the world.

Edited by Free Thinker

You see? I think it took Dumbledore's death to allow Harry to do what he had to do. Do you think he would be able to leave Hogwarts if Dumbledore was still headmaster? Would Dumbledore have been able to let him? I am certain that Dumbledore would have stood in front of Harry eventually. The way he did it however, gives Harry the chance to "walk into the arena with his head held high," which, as Dumbledore was so keen to teach him, makes all the difference in the world.

Interesting. I suppose it all depends on where Rowling takes the series.

I reckon the final book will see Harry & his allies go after the remaining horcruxes, and having destroyed most of them come face to face with Voldemort and realize he is the last horcrux - the scar and all that, the last remaining bit of Voldemort's essense...and he'll then sacrifice himself for the greater good.

Rowling, if she wants, can make loopholes around spells. Remember the spell that was supposed to kill HP, didn't! You never know....

That's only because of Lily's choice.

*Warning this is a quote from an interview. It may tell you extra information that is not clear in the books. It does not, however, spoil book 7. So read at your own risk.*

ES: This is one of my burning questions since the third book - why did Voldemort offer Lily so many chances to live? Would he actually have let her live?

JKR: Mmhm.

ES: Why?

JKR: [silence] Can't tell you. But he did offer, you're absolutely right. Don't you want to ask me why James's death didn't protect Lily and Harry? There’s your answer, you've just answered your own question, because she could have lived and chose to die. James was going to be killed anyway. Do you see what I mean? I’m not saying James wasn't ready to; he died trying to protect his family but he was going to be murdered anyway. He had no - he wasn't given a choice, so he rushed into it in a kind of animal way, I think there are distinctions in courage. James was immensely brave. But the caliber of Lily's bravery was, I think in this instance, higher because she could have saved herself. Now any mother, any normal mother would have done what Lily did. So in that sense her courage too was of an animal quality but she was given time to choose. James wasn't. It's like an intruder entering your house, isn't it? You would instinctively rush them. But if in cold blood you were told, "Get out of the way," you know, what would you do? I mean, I don't think any mother would stand aside from their child. But does that answer it? She did very consciously lay down her life. She had a clear choice -

ES: And James didn't.

JKR: Did he clearly die to try and protect Harry specifically given a clear choice? No. It's a subtle distinction and there's slightly more to it than that but that's most of the answer.

MA: Did she know anything about the possible effect of standing in front of Harry?

JKR: No - because as I've tried to make clear in the series, it never happened before. No one ever survived before. And no one, therefore, knew that could happen.

MA: So no one - Voldemort or anyone using Avada Kedavra - ever gave someone a choice and then they took that option [to die] -

JKR: They may have been given a choice, but not in that particular way.

So the only reason Harry survived is because Lily had a clear choice. This interview brings about another wild theory. What if *Snape* liked Lily. By liked, I mean was in love with her or something. I started going this direction when Slughorn said that Lily was very good at Potions. Also, Dumbledore said Snape was remorseful when he found out how Voldemort had interpreted the prophesy. Was this just Snape lying and Dumbledore trusting, or was he telling the truth?

"I'd love to know what Snape told him to convince him," said Tonks. "I know," said Harry, and they all turned to look at him. "Snape passed Voldemort the information that made Voldemort hunt down my mum and dad. Then Snape told Dumbledore he hadn't realized what he was doing, he was really sorry he'd done it, sorry that they were dead." They all stared at him. "And Dumbledore believed that?" said Lupin incredulously. "Dumbledore believed Snape was sorry James was dead? Snape hated James...." "And he didn't think my mother was worth a damn either," said Harry, "because she was Muggle-born.... 'Mudblood,' he called her...."
Interesting that no one but Harry has mentioned that Snape also wouldn't care if Lily died. Do they know something he doesn't? I really don't think we have the full reason for Dumbledore's trust yet. God, I sound like a shipper. Let me say in my defense, that I have no liking for Snape at all, and no particular desire to see him cleared. My reason for all these theories is that I, like Dumbledore, want to believe the best of people, especially in regards to Dumbledore himself. I don't think he would beg for his life. That is the most suspicious thing in the whole book. Also, this would make a lot of things fall into place. Voldemort would have spared her as a reward for his servant, Snape. If Snape had feelings for Lily, it would add more weight to his plea of remorse. And, it could be the "something huge" that will be revealed about Lily. Oh, and I think it possible that Lily taught potions. We know from Order of the Phoenix that Snape took the position after the Potters died. It would further explain his disdain for Harry's potions if his mother, who Snape loved, had taught the subject. Okay, I'm going to stop now. This is getting too crazy, even for me. Honestly... I hate ships. Arrrgh! I was really hoping to find out something about the Potters in this book. No dice. Oh well, at least now my curiosity will overcome my apprehension at facing a Potter book with no Hogwarts and no Dumbledore. :D Edited by Free Thinker

I reckon the final book will see Harry & his allies go after the remaining horcruxes, and having destroyed most of them come face to face with Voldemort and realize he is the last horcrux - the scar and all that, the last remaining bit of Voldemort's essense...and he'll then sacrifice himself for the greater good.

I don't think so. How could Voldy have made a Horcrux in his near-death state? Plus, remember Voldy can't even possess Harry because of the love thing. I don't think he'd be able to keep some of his soul in him either. But then there is that nagging voice reminding me about the parsletongue power that was transferred to Harry with his scar. How does that work, exactly? There's an ominous chanting going on. The necklace, the cup the snake, something of Griffindor's or Ravenclaw's. *gulp* something of Griffindor's, did he say? I just don't know. We need to know more about how horcruxes are made. I'm not going to fear the worst just yet. :D

I don't think he would beg for his life. That is the most suspicious thing in the whole book. Also, this would make a lot of things fall into place. Voldemort would have spared her as a reward for his servant, Snape. If Snape had feelings for Lily, it would add more weight to his plea of remorse. And, it could be the "something huge" that will be revealed about Lily.

You keep beating me to everything!! Grrr. Maybe I should check this site more often. I do like the idea of Lily teaching Potions though.

I also didn't even notice Regulus had those initials! Man, I'm a bit off. Good ideas, good ideas...

That was who I thought of as well. I'm wondering if the other two horcruxes might not be the other House items. Luna could end up being the Ravenclaw heir and Ernie McMillan the Hufflepuff heir. I don't have any solid evidence for this but it would give a reason as to why their characters have been around lately.

I'm kinda confused about what you're saying here about Luna and Ernie. Do you mean as descendents of the House Founders?

Who stole the Horcrux? Any ideas?

I think it was Sirius's brother, Regulus Black (his middle initial mentioned anywhere?) because he's mentioned more than once in other books, and he was killed for trying to get out of being a Death Eater, but Rowling never says WHY exactly.