Objectivism Online Forum

Tattoos

Rate this topic

The Wrath

I have one tattoo on my right deltoid. It's a stacked "AMC," which is the symbol for the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M University, with the A and the C in red and the M in black. I got it at the end of my freshman year, in all red, then had it redone at Christmas of my junior year to get the individual outlines of each letter and the M redone in black...so now, it looks like something other than a Satanic symbol.

What are your opinions of tattoos, and does anyone else have any? If so what?

Also, I've been considering getting another, and I was thinking of having it in a sort of Objectivist-style theme, like a stylized "A is A" or something like that. Does anyone have any suggestions? If I get it, this will absolutely be my last. I'm not gonna be one of those people with dozens of tattoos.

I haven't put much thought into this yet (I would if I was more serious about getting a tattoo). The best I can do is to compare it to wearing a necklace charm or some type of momento that symbolizes importance to the owner.

The main difference I see between a necklace charm or some type of momento and a tattoo is that a tattoo is permanent. What importance, if any, does that have?

I'm a regular blood donor (O-) so tattoos are out for me.

If they ever make it so I can get a permanent tattoo, and it won't taint my blood, I'm getting this:

hypeboxreason.jpg

Most likely it will just be the black & orange logo, but maybe the cool modern text underneath could be added later.

Propellerheads Reason is a software music compsition program that's just absolutely fantastic. I use it for practically everything I write because it's self-contained, very logically written, and musically powerful. As I've told musician friends in the past "Get Reason - it's a way of life. And the software's not bad either."

A tattoo just seems like so much of a committment to me. I know you can get them erased with lasers and all...but it still seems like a huge step. If I were to get one ..it would be tiny and somewhere not visible. I can't even commit to wearing the same jewelry for more than a month (i.e. i don't wear any). Also I fear I couldn't stand the pain. However, I have recently begun giving blood as well so it probably won't ever happen. (Type O positive :) ) Still, if people like them and don't mind the sting...it's all cool. Props to the guy with Ayn Rand on his arm.

The basis for getting a tattoo is just to have a reminder of something important to you. For me, Texas A&M and, more specifically, the Corps of Cadets were important in shaping who I am today and the tattoo is a reminder of that influence, as well as a show of support. I would never get something like a dragon or a lizard...that won't mean anything 30 years from now. The Corps will still mean something to me, even when I have to stretch out my wrinkles in order to see the tattoo.

Mad props to studentofobjectivism. I like the dollar sign idea, but I'd want it to have something that's a little more Objectivism-specific. The $ can mean just about anything, and I don't want anything as detalied as a portrait of Ayn Rand.

And I agree with whoever said that tattoos are best when they are small and in a place where they are not visible while fully clothed. That's why mine is on my deltoid. If I got another one, it'd probably be in between my shoulder blades.

I'm curious, what is the basis for wanting a tatoo (and I'm not asking in a condescending manner)?

What is the basis of posting on Craigslist? Eek. Talk about jumping into the pit with the quite literally unwashed. But then you didn't start the thread I guess.

Actually, a tattoo can be thought of just the same as a piece of jewelry or other body modification (think earings). With of course the dramatic exception that it is a very permanent thing.

I've seen a guy with the atlas from the cover of the current edition of the paperback, color and all on his calf at the gym but didn't get a chance to stop and say hi. It was VERY obvious to me what it was. But something like what I have been tossing around like AisA or Who Is John Galt on my bicep is the kind of thing, like the guy with the atlas, that only a fellow traveler is going to recognize. Plus, it is something that every time I look in the mirror reminds me of the philosophy that helped change my life and refine my value system.

Edited by scottkursk

LOL did you notice that thread? Man, I picked it up from my referrers list and I just couldn't let those guys continue to bad-mouth me. You hang out there?

I agree on your points about tattoos. It's not a lack of confidence that I'll still value the principle I've tattooed on me in the future that gives me hesitation with tattoos, but the idea that this tatoo will be appropriate adornment in all contexts of my life.

LOL did you notice that thread?  Man, I picked it up from my referrers list and I just couldn't let those guys continue to bad-mouth me.  You hang out there?

No I don't hang out there. I was trying to sell some furniture and other stuff and happened to notice and wanted to see how many moonbats were there. Whoa. That was an experience. Then I noticed the D'Anconia thread and the Felipe nick and thought it had to be you. Small world.

I have a gang tattoo (a pitchfork) on my right arm from my younger and wilder days, but I have been thinking of getting it covered up with a dollar sign. But with other people in this thread having the same idea I don't know now. I've also been considering getting my son's name Damien in Old English on my stomach. That would mean a lot to me because he's one of my top values. But I usually never think about it when I have the extra cash laying around. One day though!

Yes sir. Crips. But I couldn't stand just being a normal member so I very quickly rose to the top. And I did it mostly using my brain not brawn. I'm way past all that kid stuff now though.

Not much. I mostly tried to keep them out of jail. Mostly it was just friends hanging out and partying or whatever. That's why I'm always surprised when I see young kids on here being all intellectual. I think it's good obviously, but it just seems a little weird to me that they seem to have skipped being young and stupid and already act like rational adults. I suppose that's how we all should have been when we were younger.

Yeah well belonging to this "gang" well help their lives more in the long run than any other group though. The trick is to fully realize the point is to help yourself and not just "belong". Once you fully integrate that idea you know longer need any "gangs" or anybody else to feel like you fully belong on this earth. You know you belong to yourself which is all that matters in the end.

• 3 weeks later...