Objectivism Online Forum

Tattoos

Rate this topic

The Wrath

If it does, go for it,

but I believe that the majority of the people that decide to tattoo such thing on their body [also, a tribal designs] do it only for the reason that it "looks nice".

Or because they decided they want a tattoo and thats the first thing that poped in their eyes while looking at the book [the worse kind are the ones that get it while being drunk]

I don't see anything wrong with getting a tattoo just because it looks nice. Of course, most decisions made while drunk don't turn out to be decisions one is pleased with later on.

Tattoos exist within a huge, broad life context. To place it in just one possible context: Assuming one's job is fine with it, one's family and friends, and one's self, there is nothing inherently objectionable about permanently placing an image on one's body. One's preference, one's reasons, the image itself--these are things to consider. But an image on a body is not inherently bad.

To tattoo something on your body just because "it looks nice" is just as stupid as joining the military just to walk around with a sward in public [yes, I've met a person that told me that] or drink a cocktail because its colorful.

I don't like acts that came from a place of no-reason, and "just because its pretty" is not a reason to my opinion.

Also, when you are getting a tattoo, I don't believe you should ask people if it's okay for them you'll get it. This is your body, your temple, your decision

I don't like acts that came from a place of no-reason, and "just because its pretty" is not a reason to my opinion.

"Just because it's pretty" is the reason for so many things in my life! Being pretty is a reason itself to like/do/want something. Also, why do you think a reasoning mind and attractive qualities do not mix?

Should you ask your employer if it is okay to get a tattoo if you suspect he will fire you? Should you ask your spouse if you suspect they will find you less attractive, or even be repulsed by it? These are a couple good reasons why you may ask someone else if they would like your new tattoo idea.

Edited by JASKN

but I believe that the majority of the people that decide to tattoo such thing on their body [also, a tribal designs] do it only for the reason that it "looks nice".

Fortunately, whatever reason they actually got the tattoo isn't bound by your beliefs.

For the same reason I would not listen to Britny Spears because she is pretty.

For the same reason I'd not wear a Victorian dress just to go out for a bar.

It's pretty, yes, but other than that it has no value or need, which makes it dull.

I am not telling anyone what to do or not to do with their body, as much as I wouldnt like anyone telling me what to do with mine, but, I personaly would never tattoo anything on my body, as pretty as it might be, if it doesnt have a meaning for me.

I have one tattoo on my right deltoid. It's a stacked "AMC," which is the symbol for the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M University, with the A and the C in red and the M in black. I got it at the end of my freshman year, in all red, then had it redone at Christmas of my junior year to get the individual outlines of each letter and the M redone in black...so now, it looks like something other than a Satanic symbol.

What are your opinions of tattoos, and does anyone else have any? If so what?

Also, I've been considering getting another, and I was thinking of having it in a sort of Objectivist-style theme, like a stylized "A is A" or something like that. Does anyone have any suggestions? If I get it, this will absolutely be my last. I'm not gonna be one of those people with dozens of tattoos.

I personally find tattoos to be like graffiti and repulsive. When I see tattoos I think of primitive cultures and ugliness. Sorry, you asked.

I personally find tattoos to be like graffiti and repulsive. When I see tattoos I think of primitive cultures and ugliness. Sorry, you asked.

What characteristics do they share with "graffiti"? Why do you think primitive cultures and ugliness?

What characteristics do they share with "graffiti"? Why do you think primitive cultures and ugliness?

Graffiti is defacing property in the name of would-be art. One's body is not a piece of paper to be sribbled upon. The origin of marking up one's body goes back to the time when humans inhabited caves and attached mystical significance to drawing on cave walls and upon themselves. Aboringinal people are the ones that started inking up their skins, and one finds the majority of long term prison populations covering themselves in religious and gang related drawings. I associate tattoos with people who have low self-esteem and with ugliness.

Graffiti is defacing property in the name of would-be art. One's body is not a piece of paper to be sribbled upon. The origin of marking up one's body goes back to the time when humans inhabited caves and attached mystical significance to drawing on cave walls and upon themselves. Aboringinal people are the ones that started inking up their skins, and one finds the majority of long term prison populations covering themselves in religious and gang related drawings. I associate tattoos with people who have low self-esteem and with ugliness.

This is all just your own personal bias. I understand, and used to have some of that bias myself.

Years of internet usage, however, of seeing all kinds of tattoos on all kinds of bodies, has completely shifted my view today. When I think of tattoos now, I think of the aesthetic appeal, fun creativity, and a way to make less attractive bodies more attractive.

Graffiti is defacing property in the name of would-be art.

However, tattooing is not defacing anything.

One's body is not a piece of paper to be sribbled upon.

That is not your's to determine for anyone else but yourself.

The origin of marking up one's body goes back to the time when humans inhabited caves and attached mystical significance to drawing on cave walls and upon themselves.

Art in general can be traced back to ancient, more primitive times. I'm assuming you don't think all art is repulsive and disgusting because it came from primitive times. Additionally, just because primitive people associated "body marking" with mysticism, that does not necessarily remain true today. Keep up with the times please.

I associate tattoos with people who have low self-esteem and with ugliness.

But that is your problem, not necessarily the problem of a person who has tattoos. I associate this kind of prejudice with ignorance, the same source of prejudices like racism, sexism, etc. etc.

Edited by RationalBiker