Objectivism Online Forum

NCAA Bans American Indian Mascots In Postseason

Rate this topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2125735

The mascots are gone in the postseason! The American Indian population will no longer have alcoholics among its population! Illiteracy is gone! Every Indian tribe in the United States will now thrive! The mascots are gone!

I almost don't believe that anyone actually gives a rat's behind about this. It's like that article is a joke. Nobody really cares about this right? Right? Tell me that people are saner than this!

Edited by softwareNerd

If their mascot was an African negro hunting animals with a spear then there would have been an outcry quite a while ago. I dont think that this is essentially different - when you replace 'indians' with 'blacks', a lot of the reactions start to make more sense.

It's not like this is a government ban or anything.

Edited by Hal

If their mascot was an African negro hunting animals with a spear then there would have been an outcry quite a while ago. I dont think that this is essentially different - when you replace 'indians' with 'blacks', a lot of the reactions start to make more sense.

Hogwash. The names and mascots were chosen because they represented a fighting spirit, not as any kind of insult. Had they chosen a Zulu warrior, which was a fearsome fighter, it would have been no different.

Would you be in favor of the military changing the names of their attack helicopters as well? They, too, were named because the appelations denote the courage and fighting prowess of the tribes for which they are named.

I have enough Indian blood in me to be on the rolls. I can tell you from my own experience that this crap comes from a dissident political bunch that speaks with a loud voice, and which does not represent all Indians any more than Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton speaks for African-Americans. Remember that the likes of Ward Churchill supposedly speaks for groups like this.

The "Fighting Irish"? A bunch of drunk fighting Irishmen? Where are the complaints there. That is more offensive than calling someone "The Seminoles". Actually, from the tv news I just saw the Trojans and Notre Dame may be covered under the ban. Pardon my yelling but THE TROJANS ARE RACIALLY OFFENSIVE?!

Argh! I'm putting myself into my mental Galt's gulch right now. This is such bs.

Pardon my yelling but THE TROJANS ARE RACIALLY OFFENSIVE?! 

Argh! I'm putting myself into my mental Galt's gulch right now. This is such bs.

I can see it now. Someone is going to complain about Trojan condoms, the use of the Roman Legionaire on the wrapper, racial stereotypes of Italian men being oversexed, so it's offensive to both Italians but also to the Catholic church since the majority of Italians are Catholic and we all know how the church feels about condoms etc.

Man, being a politically correct moron is actually pretty easy when you think about it. :)

Hogwash.  The names and mascots were chosen because they represented a fighting spirit, not as any kind of insult.  Had they chosen a Zulu warrior, which was a fearsome fighter, it would have been no different.

Exactly. You'd think these people would be proud that the team is basically saying "hey the Seminoles were fierce fighters, so we want to be associated with that." But I don't think they can grasp the compliment. Instead they automatically assume that it's somehow meant as an insult.

The "Fighting Irish"? A bunch of drunk fighting Irishmen? Where are the complaints there. That is more offensive than calling someone "The Seminoles". Actually, from the tv news I just saw the Trojans and Notre Dame may be covered under the ban. Pardon my yelling but THE TROJANS ARE RACIALLY OFFENSIVE?!
I'm Irish and I like having the Fighting Irish. Even if they refer to the Irish as a bunch of drunks, I'm not offended...It's not like the phrase "Fighting Irish" is meant as an insult.

Exactly.  You'd think these people would be proud that the team is basically saying "hey the Seminoles were fierce fighters, so we want to be associated with that."  But I don't think they can grasp the compliment.  Instead they automatically assume that it's somehow meant as an insult.

I'm Irish and I like having the Fighting Irish.  Even if they refer to the Irish as a bunch of drunks, I'm not offended...It's not like the phrase "Fighting Irish" is meant as an insult.

My middle name is Albert, which not coincidentally is the name of the mascot of the University of Florida (my father was an alumni, a freakish alumni at that) so I don't mind seeing pain inflicted on the Semiholes, sorry, misspelled, Seminoles.

Actually, I'm Irish as well except my family are all Orange Order so we are drunk and willing to fight at the drop of a hat but are militantly protestant. But when all is said and done they are Irish. Which is really funny because when you throw throw a green and an orangemen together they'll fight to the death until someone badmouthing Ireland enters the bar then they'll fight like two brothers.

If their mascot was an African negro hunting animals with a spear then there would have been an outcry quite a while ago.
You can't imagine how angry I get at being brutally dehumanized and exploited by sports images like this:

tvikings2.gif

Makes me wanna go berserk yelling "Uff da!"

You can't imagine how angry I get at being brutally dehumanized and exploited by sports images like this:

tvikings2.gif

Makes me wanna go berserk yelling "Uff da!"

Argh! My fiance is Norwergian, Danish, and Swede. Oh the offense. I'm feeling violated on the part of behalf of her community. She's a lawyer so hopefully we can find someone to sue because she/we feel violated. Oh, wait, she's catholic too, refer back to my previous post about Trojan condoms and "Italian and/or Catholic Americans".

Let's not forget the animals! All these panthers and jaguars and whatnot. And, oh, poor Bessie down in Austin. And we can't have plants either, after all they have feelings, too. From this day forward, so we don't rip on anyone (except whitey, of course), I hereby propose that all sports team names must be nonliving things or whitey-bashing.

Here are some suggestions for my pet teams:

MLB - Boston Red Sox. That's nonliving, so we're okay there.

NFL - New England Patriots. That's no good. In addition to being living things, that's a reference to how the Pilgrims annihilated the Native American culture. However, white-bashing is fair game. So this name should be changed from the Patriots to the New England Lying Racist Exploiters.

NBA - Boston Celtics. This time, we've got those black-hating Irish over in Southie. Let's stick with Lying Racist Exploiters.

NHL - Who cares? [ducking to dodge the bottles being thrown at me by hockey fans]

Actually, from the tv news I just saw the Trojans and Notre Dame may be covered under the ban.

Something just occured to me about my own post and the news story I mentioned. When I was reading the post and saw the news story at the same time, they were discussing the ban and they didn't specifically list the schools but they did say "racial stereotypes". The images they showed included the USC Trojan and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish mascot included in a montage of various indians. I'm wondering if someone didn't subversivly put the images their as a commentary about how stupid it was or how wide reaching it could get?

I think it was CNN Headline News channel because I saw the stupid story twice and they used the same images on the background and they used the language of "racial stereotypes" and didn't really concentrate on them only banning indian images. Talk about spin.

Well, no more Florida Seminoles.

It it my understanding that the Seminole Tribe itself is a big supporter of Florida State using its name and image as a mascot. It's one thing to be easily-offended, but is anybody even really being offended by this?

It it my understanding that the Seminole Tribe itself is a big supporter of Florida State using its name and image as a mascot. It's one thing to be easily-offended, but is anybody even really being offended by this?

It doesn't matter if the Seminole tribe in Florida received funding from FSU or even if it was their idea. Really. "Enlightened" people will be offended for them if they are to ignorant or uninformed to be offended. That's why they've got speech codes on college campuses, the welfare state, etc.

Forget big brother, big mother is going to protect us from ourselves.

NHL - Who cares? [ducking to dodge the bottles being thrown at me by hockey fans]

I understand your dislike of hockey. It is way to fast for most to follow and the toughness and skill of its players is almost offensive to most sports fans raised on the more pedestrian pastimes. Virtual bottle thown. :worry:

could the ncaa also consider the tufts university mascot? i have become increasingly overweight over the past few years and I am offended by the use of "jumbos". the san fran and NY Giants are also offensive. i also understand that st john's changed from the "red men" to the "red storm" to be PC. well they got it wrong! i live in south florida and have had two properties destroyed by hurricanes. their name is offensive and brings back horrible memories. not to mention the the miami hurricanes! in another tragic event, my brother was killed by an avalanche. sorry colorado, can't use it. and finally, i'm gay, and the nfl needs to change the names of the packers and the rams. ncaa needs to change the hawaii rainbow warriors and the liberty flames. what are these people thinking?

i hope this proves how rediculous this situation is. however, part of me says, just change the damn names so these people will shut the hell up. NO ONE CARES! OOHH OOHH OOHH OOHH OOHH (me doing the chop with my arm) OOHH OOHH OOHH OOHH OHH!

Racial stereotypes? Yes. My Indian blood boils at the idea of being thought of as a fierce warrior who battles to the end! How insulting is that?

Of course, my family now has members (FIVE generations straight who made a career) in the military, but we don't like anyone to think of us as belonging to the warrior caste. That would be stereotyping, and we can't have that.

Is there an emoticon specifically for sarcasm? Think of it here if there is one.

The American Indian population will no longer have alcoholics among its population!  Illiteracy is gone!

Well, if the systematic effort to wipe out the virtues of American Indian culture from our society is successful, then Indians will in fact only be known for being illiterate alcoholics.

Actually, what the NCAA and other multiculturalists really oppose is cosmopolitanism. It’s perfectly acceptable for an American Indian or Hispanic group to use Indian or Inca mythology, but not for a Caucasian group. That sort of cross-cultural pollination threatens the collectivist mentality of multiculturalism because it implies that individuals are not defined by their racial/ethnic group.

Is that true? I don't follow any sports news, so I do not know: would names like "Vikings", "Spartans" (caucasian warriors) still be allowed?

Nope, apparently only racial stereotypes of non-white people are effected. I'm guessing white people have thick skin that they are not effected by such stereotypes. That or as the evil oppressors of all non-white people's the caucasoid stereotypes (vikings, fighting irish, etc) don't seem to offend the lords of political correctness.

As I point out in my other post, big mother is out to protect us from ourselves and apparently the evil white male oppressor can be made fun of and stereotyped legitimately. So I guess I'm pretty much fair game..... I'm Irish, I'm coincidentally drinking a beer, now if I only had someone to deck or oppress. :thumbsup: