Objectivism Online Forum

New

Rate this topic

Hey, I'm new here. I'm 15 and I live in Atlanta. I don't really know what to expect from this forum. To tell you the truth, I think I might differ from most other objectivists, but I may as well find out. I'm still rather unexperienced. My only view of the world is of my very secondhand highschool. I'd rather think of myself as a firsthander than an objectivist. It sounds less binding.

I like classic rock mainly. My favorite band is The Who, my favorite movie is The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly.

The thing that will probably set me most apart from everybody here is the fact that I'm not big on politics. I used to be, but I sort of dropped it since usually when I try to talk about it I run into a brick wall of secondhand. I identify people more by the way they act, their favorite movies, music, and their sense of humor. Most of what gives away of whether a person is secondhand or firsthand is just how they act.

It would be great if someone could tell me how well I'm going to fit in. Thanks.

Edited by Tommy

Hello there. I think I differ from most Objectivists too. Hopefully it won't be too much of a problem.

I think the response that you will or should get about fitting in is, why bother? If someone doesn't like you, there's no sense in paying attention to them. Be yourself and hopefully you'll find people you like.

Also, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was fantastic. I love Clint.

Edited by LifeSimpliciter

Hello! I'm Tea. I'm 16. I was 15 when I joined this board. I wouldn't worry too much about fitting into this board. If you are a rational valuer, you should do fine. You don't have to like politics to fit in. Really though, I've been noticing that a lot in our generation. All the smartest kids I know don't want anything to do with politics.

Welcome, Tommy.

I personally don't have much interest in politics, either, apart from just knowing what the principles are. I vote because it's a good idea to at least make some small effort to control something that can dramatically affect your life, and I hold very definite principles, which naturally puts me at odds with most modern political goings-on.

Objectivists aren't primarily politicians . . . most of the people on this board are artists, writers, students, philosophers, computer geeks, etc. So liking politics isn't a big deal.

Welcome to the forum.

The Who! Baba O'Reilly? That's my generation.

Favorite song.

Also, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was fantastic.  I love Clint.

Favorite actor.

Hi Tommy. In what ways do you think you might differ from most other Objectivists?

Half of it is just this feeling. The other half is that every time I meet a new firsthander, they're always different in some remarkable way (often music). Half are really interested in politics, half purposefully aren't. Most firsthanders I know are monotheistic (myself being agnostic), but there are still a lot who aren't. I dunno.

I can tell you've read the Fountainhead, have you read Atlas Shrugged? I was an agnostic most of my life as well. I was quite impressed with what Ayn Rand had to say in the Fountainhead and with Objectivism but I figured I'd never be one because I couldn't see myself not believing in God. Atlas Shrugged completely changed this.

It was hard to let go of something that's been ingrained in you all your life...even harder when I told my family who looked at me like i'd gone cukoo nuts! Many here are still friends with people who believe in God. For myself my two best friends are Catholic...but smart and quite reasonable people. Don't worry about fitting in so much. One of my favorite aspects of Objectivism is the emphasis on individuality. We come in all shapes and sizes. As long as your fundamentals are in the right place....if not plenty here will guide you in the right direction. :o

I know that I shouldn't worry, but I can't help it. I'm a kinda insecure. I worry about my image to people's whose opinions I respect. But I've been to forums before where I was flamed for no good reason. I dunno, I was just cautious.

I've read The Fountainhead, but not Atlas Shrugged. I started on it, but the plot bored me. And I just felt like it wasn't going to be telling me anything new, you know? Like The Fountainhead just got me started and I took it from there.

And I did catch the "my generation" reference.

Edited by Tommy

Well I recommend giving Atlas Shrugged another try...there are lots who prefer the Fountainhead but the fundamentals of Objectivism and what it is really about is much better laid out in Atlas Shrugged. I know it starts out slow and its a much tougher read but I think you'll find it's worth it in the end. If not, you can always go the non-fiction route with Intro to Objectivism.