Objectivism Online Forum

Which Is The Best Book Of The Series So Far?

Rate this topic

Prometheus98876

Which is your favorite SOT novel so far?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite SOT novel so far?

• Wizards First Rule
    • Stone of Tears
    • Blood of the Fold
    • Temple of the Winds
    • Soulfire
    • Faith of the Fallen
    • Pillars of Creation
    • Naked Empire
    • Chainfire

Ok, which do you think is the best, and why?

Personally, I think Faith of the Fallen is the best, followed closely by Chainfire.

FotF deals with key Objectivist issues, ie, to quote the Wizards Sixth Rule "The only sovereign you can allow too rule you is reason". It deals with the nature of collectivism and the drastic consquences of an extreme example. It deals with the nature of good and bad art, which as one whom plans to get into print as a fiction writer, is of great interest to me.

It also explains the series quite well, and is the best insight into the nature of the Order, for those whom by Book Six where in any doubt about their nature.

Chainfire is close, it deals with the nature of reality in that contradictions cannot exist, and how one should about managing uncertainty and maintaning ones rational convictions in the face of the doubt of others. Critical issues, but I feel those in FotF are more crucial, and besides, FofF is executed better.

• 5 weeks later...
Chainfire! It covers the nature of existence more than any other book in the series, making it my favourite, just like metaphysics is my favourite part of Objectivism.

yes, but Faith covers not only existence, but how we can know existence (OK so does Chainfire).

And also it covers the cause and effects of Collectivism, pretty much the most severe consequence of irrational ideas, but not too far from being realistic.

Faith is also delivered in a more convincing manner with more compelling characters and I think a better plot.

Chainfire is a close second though.

Edited by Prometheus98876

Yeah but the metaphysics is my favourite part of Objectivism and I think Chainfire does a better job of covering that, or in other words the nature of existence. Of all my Objectivist type beliefs it is the one I've had the longest.

Yes, Metaphysics is my favorite ascept of it too, it contains the fundamental axiom of Objectivism, "A is A". But I think the consquences alluded to in Faith is more interesting than yet another repetition the of the metaphysical concepts of Chainfire.

Soul of the Fire was the last one I read, I've missed FOUR books? :D

Ouch, you are abit behind. Rush out and buy the other books right away you bad person! :P

Then read them as quickly as you can, Im telling you the four you are missing out on are some of the best in the entire series, especially book six.... which contains the Wizards Rule all the others rely upon.

• 1 month later...

Faith of the Fallen is an exquisite book; what I call a real "sense of life" novel. Superficially, it looks naturalistic, but every single word goes to paint a bigger picture, both at a concrete and an abstract level. The characters are so rich they could reach out of the book and touch you. It works brilliantly as a stand-alone novel as well as part of a series. There are many things that might go unnoticed upon the first reading, so I strongly recommend that people read it multiple times.

My two favourite parts of FOTF are: the trick Richard pulls to get Kahlan to face the world again, and the unveiling of the statue.

FOTF is my favourite by far.

My two favourite parts of FOTF are: the trick Richard pulls to get Kahlan to face the world again, and the unveiling of the statue.

FOTF is my favourite by far.

Indeed, they are my favorite parts as well. It was terrible 'seeing' the normally so strong, vibrant Kahlan like that. But so awesome seeing her become her self once more!

That statue speaks volumes for Terrys values, and is a damn good example of the expressing an artists metaphysical value judgements. I use it as an example when I discuss art with other people.

Ouch, you are abit behind. Rush out and buy the other books right away you bad person! :D

Then read them as quickly as you can, Im telling you the four you are missing out on are some of the best in the entire series, especially book six.... which contains the Wizards Rule all the others rely upon.

Well book seven wasn't that great. It concentrated on Jensen too much. In that book she was the main character rather than Richard and Kahlan.

Well book seven wasn't that great. It concentrated on Jensen too much. In that book she was the main character rather than Richard and Kahlan.

Yeah, sure it focused on different characters, but for good reason given the theme of the novel. And I beleive Terry wanted to give us a better insight into D'hara and its people, and the way he handled it did do that at least.

Yeah, sure it focused on different characters, but for good reason given the theme of the novel. And I beleive Terry wanted to give us a better insight into D'hara and its people, and the way he handled it did do that at least.

I realise that and while I don't disagree with the concept I don't like the way he done it. he spent way too long away from Kahlan and Richard.

I realise that and while I don't disagree with the concept I don't like the way he done it. he spent way too long away from Kahlan and Richard.

Well, OK then. Personally I think it was a good change of pace, and it was somewhat refreshing to have a break from those two, as great a pair of characters as they might be. However I am glad that they did turn up at the end at least :P . A SOT book without them in it all would be madness!

Well, OK then. Personally I think it was a good change of pace, and it was somewhat refreshing to have a break from those two, as great a pair of characters as they might be. However I am glad that they did turn up at the end at least :D . A SOT book without them in it all would be madness!

Well I hate the idea of resting main characters like that, especially for so much of the book. What was it? two or three chapters with Richard and one or two with Kahlan. Way too little.

Well I hate the idea of resting main characters like that, especially for so much of the book. What was it? two or three chapters with Richard and one or two with Kahlan. Way too little.

About two I think, and not particulary long chapters at that. I would have liked a little more of them myself, just a little. I think the end was a little too rushed, that they appeared and resolved things too suddenly. But this is not too much of a problem, overall the books good, if still probably one of the worst in the series.

About two I think, and not particulary long chapters at that. I would have liked a little more of them myself, just a little. I think the end was a little too rushed, that they appeared and resolved things too suddenly. But this is not too much of a problem, overall the books good, if still probably one of the worst in the series.

Indeed it was rushed. What happened to the good old taking a long time to come up with a solution they should have come up with before hand? the books that do that are the more interesting ones and I don't think that is a coicidence.

• 1 month later...

I personally LOVED FotF, because it had such a wonderful message about it. It described TRUE love, not the lust/physical love that you so often see in today's society. The book describes true devotion to one another, and shows what love truly is. I find it sad how FEW relationships there are today that resemble this commitment.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've read everybook by Terry goodkind and personally my favorites are phantom which i read 3 times within 7 hours.. debt of bones was really hard to understand for me, naked empire and pillars of creation didnt take my fancy, the only other one that did was temple of the winds, because its when they first find out about theyre ancestors and about theyre history.

• 1 year later...

I liked Faith of the Fallen the best, but I would have to pick Stone of Tears as a close second. FOTF is the best because it was philosophically the most well developed of the series. It was climactic in every way. Richard engaged in what can only be described as intellectual activism with a vengeance.

I liked Stone of Tears almost as much as FOTF for its role in the plot development of the entire series. Wizard's First Rule could have been a standalone novel in most respects. But SOT put all the characters and plot into play for the later novels. Kahlan's uncompromising, ruthless prosecution of the war with the Imperial Order expeditionary force is in itself a treatise on how war should be fought.