Objectivism Online Forum

Hello from Florida.

Rate this topic

Hi, I'm Jason Fowler, a student in St.Cloud Florida. I have quite a variety of interests most of all philosophy, automechanics(specifically lubrication), and basketball.

I come from the capitalism magazine forums. Now, I am pylon_man on capitalismforum.com, formally Jason Fowler of capitalismmagazine.com/forum, and things have gone quite downhill and I am hoping this forum will get back to the quality I'm used to.

Hmm... where do I start. :D

Okay, first and foremost, the sections for discussion do not include epistemology or metaphysics. In fact, there is really not even a section for ethics, the new board cut down the possibility for abstract philosophical content quite drastically.(which is what made the old board so popular and interesting to begin with) The blatent mistakes and equivocations regarding Objectivism are tiring, at one point someone actually claimed that biblical morality and Objectivist ethics have much in common.

There have been strange deletions of posts, for no apparent reason. While some threads and trolling are deleted, what I'm talking about is nothing like that. One of my posts in a thread about the super bowl commercials was deleted, all I said was I enjoyed the cadillac commercials. :unsure:

All in all the new capmag forums are nothing compared to the old ones. Also, I have been told that RadCap was a very notable member of the old capmag forums and, in fact, I remember him and miss his style. :)

Oh, and a few other minor things, the functionality of the capmag boards is not even complete. Sigs don't work, smilies were turned off, and various board information pages do not work.(such as the members page) Then there is the 10 minute delay between posting, which really gets on the nerves of the turbo posters there.

I personally no longer create threads at Capmag and only monitor the threads there due to the fact of admins gone mad.

Some of my threads there, I can understand being deleted. I am the sort of poster who pokes discussions or sends an eightball into them because I have a strange sense of humour. :D

But there are other posts of mine, that leave me scratching my head as to why they were deleted and my messages to admin go unanswered. So I study the rules and don't understand at all what I do wrong to break those rules and sit there scratching my head "Hmmmmm, why was it deleted?".

The other problem, is they have a 10 minute timeout value there. So to wait 10 minutes between posts only to have it deleted, it is just not worth posting at all.

So as a result of the admin policies over there, a saying has sprung up "All your post are belong to us". :pimp:

My view on forums is that they are private property(of course) so by posting, it is only at the permission of the owners since it is their boards.

They have a right to delete my posts. But for a forum to run smoothly, it requires team work between the users of the forum and the admin. That way the users have a chance to correct themselves if there is any problems without running around in circles wondering what they did wrong. If the forum admins mess up(10 min timeout for example), then that kind of team-work means the admins get feedback and can correct the error.

That sort of policy leads to a very successful forum in which the admins don't have to do too much work(due to the fact that the serious users know when they mess up and can correct themselves which means less posts having to be deleted in the long run) and the users themselves, feel comfortable about posting on the forum. :)

After the latest round of deletions of my posts, I IM'd all the people who I talk to on Capmag that I have on my IM lists, advising them all of this board so that I would still see their posts that I enjoy reading, and then posted the address to here on the Capmag boards (expecting that post to get deleted) and then simply didn't care after that what became of my user account.

That said, I quite like what I have seen of these forums so far. No posts deleted of mine yet(or else I haven't noticed ;) ). The interface is quite nice and doesn't get in the way at all with everything appearing to be working. The discussions are intelligent(you guys really are lucky to have RadCap posting) and the general atmosphere here, it just feels really relaxed. It feels sort of like sitting in a cafe discussing Oism and other stuff over a cup of orange juice or something. :)

---

Anyhow Jason, I am really glad to see you here. I am looking forward to some of our crazy discussions in some of the threads on this forum. :D

Why would I want to acquire such a taste when even the smell of it makes me want to throw up in the nearest bucket or bucket?

It'd change the nature of each meal from something to enjoy with it's many flavours of different kinds, to something I dread due to that horrific smell.

I will stick with what I got, I like the taste of it and as such, it is part of the enjoyment of each meal. :)

I'm actually somewhat with Zirjin on this. I don't really like the smell of most coffees, either. However, there are a few exceptions, such as hazel nut varieties. It's kind of odd, because I don't really like hazel nuts. Go figure. I don't like coffee, and I don't like hazel nuts, but I like hazel nut coffee--or at least the smell of it. And add something else to the mix--say, chocolate or mint--and it's a downright delicious drink.

But anyway, if orange juice works fine for Zirjin, why not stick with orange juice? There's no extremely important reason for him to "acquire" the taste of coffee. Although I might recommend to him experimenting a bit and finding out whether some of the flavored varieties taste better to him, as they do to me.

My first argument consists of "nerd art thou; therefore become that which is not a nerd and drink coffee." I say it with all the seriousness of, "so the other day, Gabriel gave me a book; I can't remember exactly what he called it, but it was somthing like Karen. You know, for a book with no pictures, it sure contains a lot of graphic violence. I think I'm going to go capture Mecca tomorrow and make it a holy pilgrimage city."

My second argument consists of "coffee is an absolute value because I value it; you must value it to, and therefore you will force yourself to." I say it with all the seriousness of the above.

I must say, though, my taste is the opposite of Zirjin's; I don't like orange juice. I haven't had hazel nut coffee in about a year; I'll try to get some soon.

Note to everyone but self: I'm only serious when I'm serious; the rest of the time I might not be.

Hmm. Well, I will be the first to admit to being a coffee snob. I like my coffee hot, black, unflavored, and preferably from small roasters in New England. :)

I can fully understand hating coffee, particularly if you're from certain parts of the country. When I moved to New Jersey, I was appalled at the coffee: the best stuff available around here is Green Mountain, which is, ironically, the stuff that's sold at the crappiest of gas stations back in New Hampshire.

Good luck with the orange juice. You know, they do sell caffeinated water... you could always make tang with it. :P

Ahhh, the beauty of the free market. You like coffee, I like Orange juice, we can get both our choices at the local cafe. :)

What about spicey foods? That is my absolute favourite style, so many flavours to choose from and savour while eating. :P

(Part of the reason I dislike coke actually, since coke and other softdrinks actually amplify the spice or do strange things inside your mouth)

Especially some of the hot spices.

Unfortunately, most cafes down in Aus don't have that, gotta go next door to a restaurant. :)