Objectivism Online Forum

Favorite Wizards Rules

Rate this topic

Prometheus98876

What is your favorite Wizards Rule?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Wizards Rule and why?

• First
    • Second
    • Third
    • Fourth
    • Fifth
    • Sixth
    • Seventh
    • Eigth
    • Ninth

I was wondering which of the Wizards Rules is your favorite, and why that might be..

Wizards Sixth Rule: The only sovereign I can allow to rule me is reason.

Why?

It deals with the most important decision possible to man: Whether or not to be ruled by reason, or irrational whim. How man is to realise objectively moral and reliable means of survivual. How a man is to live his life as man quo man...etc

For the convenience of those who do not remember the rules, I quote them from Terry's website:

1. People are stupid. They will believe anything they want to be true or fear to be true.

2. The greatest harm can result from the best intentions.

3. Passion rules reason.

4. There is magic in forgiveness -- the magic to heal! In the forgiveness you grant, and more so in the forgiveness you receive.

5. Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie.

6. The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason.

7. Life is the future, not the past.

8. Deserve victory.

9. Contradictions don't exist, in whole or in part.

http://www.terrygoodkind.com/Truth.php

I was wondering which of the Wizards Rules is your favorite, and why that might be..

I pick #9. It is like #6, but more explicit.

For the convenience of those who do not remember the rules, I quote them from Terry's website:

I pick #9. It is like #6, but more explicit.

Oh thanks, I forgot to repeat them in my introductory thread. :worry:

I would have to say that Nine comes very close to toppling Sixth from its place...but Six wins because even Nine relies on the Sixth Rule in order to be usable by the human mind.

Thanks, I've never read any of the books :P

I'd go with #8; it's simple yet has deep implications, and most befitting the honorable warrior ;)

Thanks, I've never read any of the books :P

I'd go with #8; it's simple yet has deep implications, and most befitting the honorable warrior ;)

Eight is nice, better than say the Fifth Rule. But not many people seem to choose this rule as their favorite, i think this is because although Terry Goodkind explains it quite well as far as I can tell, his explanation failed to hit home quite as well as the other rules (despite how many pages he went on about the stuff leading up to it).

• 2 months later...

Ok... does anyone else see just how much SENSE that makes. I mean not only the first rule (my personal favorite), but most all of them are so TRUE in today's world, I find it amazing how TG does it. I mean, how can you come up with a phrase that so perfectly describes society today (see my siggy for full 1st rule). Just thought I'd throw that out there...

I haven't read the books (except the first 50 pages of the first one), so I'm going to take the rules, as listed above, at face value.

The first three rules and the 5th are more negative. They're pointing to things that are wrong or things to watch out for:

1. People are stupid. They will believe anything they want to be true or fear to be true.

2. The greatest harm can result from the best intentions.

3. Passion rules reason.

5. Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie.

The 4th is very narrow, whether on agrees with it or not. Too small in scope to be the top of any list.

4. There is magic in forgiveness -- the magic to heal! In the forgiveness you grant, and more so in the forgiveness you receive.

Rules 6 through 9 address issues of broader scope.

Epistemological: 6. The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason.

Psychological: 7. Life is the future, not the past.

Ethical: 8. Deserve victory.

Metaphysical: 9. Contradictions don't exist, in whole or in part.

Of these, I like: "8. Deserve Victory"

I would strongly suggest reading the books.
I bought it recently when I found a lot of Goodkind fans here. Unfortunately my fiction time is spent mostly on Harry Potter and Lemony Snicket. (Which is a step up from two years ago, when it was "Thomas the Tank Engine". :)

I chose rule 5 because it the one that I have experienced most of my life. Growing up in a half Catholic / half Lutheran family I was subjected to “do as I say, not as I do” behavior all the time. It was one of the many reasons I chose to stay as far from the church as possible. I am very much a man of deeds and not words because of it.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...