Objectivism Online Forum

What is your favorite comedy?

Rate this topic

Since it is Thanksgiving, and the topic is comedy, I recommend Steve Martin and John Candy in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". It was each of their best movie, I think. Being a huge fan of both stars, I love the movie. Just watched it again (a Thanksgiving-eve tradition). Still laugh, all these years later.

It was a very funny movie.

[spoiler BELOW]

I recall the scene where John Candy is cruising down the highway at night from St.Louis to Chicago, with the stereo blaring some jazz tune. Candy, of course, can't just listen, he has to pretend he's each different band member, puts his fingers to his face as if playing the trumpet and then when the piano is played, fingers the dashboard. He's completely lost in the music, and loses sight of the fact that he's driving! He Ends up going down the wrong side of the highway. Two semis coming his way, one to the left, one to the right. All the while Steve Martin is sleeping on the passanger side.

Still makes me laugh thinking about it.

However, John Candy has done other funny movies. One of them is "Volunteers", with Tom Hanks. I'd give that one the edge as the funnier movie. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it is Thanksgiving, and the topic is comedy, I recommend Steve Martin and John Candy in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". It was each of their best movie, I think. Being a huge fan of both stars, I love the movie. Just watched it again (a Thanksgiving-eve tradition). Still laugh, all these years later.

I haven't seen it but I quite like Steve Martin's Dracula: Dead And Loving It. That was quite fuuny. I've seen more of his movies but I can't quite remember what they are.

Personally I'm not a big fan of John Candy, though.

Edited by DragonMaci

"Dracula, Dead and Loving It ", was Mel Brooks I believe, not Steve Martin.

Yes, you are right, I checked it online. And I dont think Steve Martin is even in it all or involved in it in ay way.

Dracula is played by Leslie Neilsen...not Steve Martin as DragonMaci might think.

Edited by Prometheus98876

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I have to revive this thread to bring up a family guy moment that really got me laughing yesterday.

Peter's idea of "that episode of Who's the Boss where Tony sees Angela naked" had just been selected as the theme of the local parade.

Lois: Peter, it's great that they chose your theme, but isn't it a little esoteric?

Peter: Esoteric!

::camera zooms inside Peter's head to see men debating the meaning of "esoteric"::

Man 1: I think it's a science term.

Man 2: Could it mean "sexy?"

Man 3: Guys, guys, "esoteric" means "delicious."

::back in the real world::

Peter: Lois, Who's the Boss is not a food.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite bits is when Peter etc find Daggermouth the 'killer fish' so that Peter can get the reward money he needs to pay for his new boat. They find the so called fish, it shoots at them with an antique pistol, misses of course as bad-guys usually do especially in comedies.

Fish: Damn missed, stand still would you? These antique pistols take like ten minutes to reload.

Joe throws the harpoon at Peter.

Peter: Ouch Joe! Dont throw things!

Joe: No Peter, use the harpoon!

Peter:Oh!

Throws it, and the so-called fish is broken open to reveal a bunch of circuits.

They approach it and Peter points.

Peter (in a tone of wonder): Isnt it amazing that that is what we all look like on the inside?