Objectivism Online Forum

What kind of music do you enjoy?

Rate this topic

AshRyan

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rap--I'm from Texas, so I was pretty much raised on UGK and the Geto Boys growing up, as much so as I was Waylon, WIllie, Johnny, David Allen, and George Jones. I am also a big fan of B-Gizzle, Z-ro, C-Murder and chamillionaire.

R&B--I like the old school; the Motown and Stax label classics, Teddy Pendergrass, Al Green, Patti Labelle, Bobby Womack, Johnnie Taylor, Millie Jackson, Minnie Ripperton, Stephanie Mills, Ashford and simpson among others

Country---all the classics, as well as Steve Earle, Robert Earl Keen and some undrground stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Mainly classical, experimental rock, and electronic music.

Shostakovich (not his symphonies) and Beethoven are in a league of their own, but the level below that includes:

Philip Glass, Bartok, Bach, Steve Reich, Dvorak, Stravinsky, Gorecki, Vivaldi

Sonic Youth, Can, Eluvium, Captain Beefheart, Neu, Delerium, Guided By Voices, John Cale, Aphex Twin, Robert Wyatt, Silver Jews, This Heat, Sunny Day Real Estate, Aril Brikha, Belle & Sebastian, Sleater-Kinney, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Vashti Bunyan

Edited by eriatarka

Any King Crimson fans on here?

Never heard of 'em, but it reminds me of Stephen King's Gunslinger series. Which ain't half bad (while not deep philosophically).

Edited by EC

• 4 weeks later...
Zimmer has also done the soundtrack for The Rock and Crimson Tide. He has the ability to take the emotions associated with heroic vulnerability and great moral conviction and translate them into music better than anyone I've heard. I can't say enough about his music.

I couldn't agree more. Do anyone have recommendations for music smiliar to the themes to the Rock and Crimson Tide?

These are some favourites of mine that might fit the bill:

Hans Zimmer's "the Battle" (Gladiator soundtrack)

Steve Jablonsky's "Arrival to Earth" (Transformers soundtrack)

Harry Gregson's "Enemy of the State" (Enemy of the State soundtrack)

Ramin Djawadi's "Driving with the Top Down" (Iron Man soundtrack)

Edited by JMartins

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a fan of Tool for a long time, but am not sure I can still be, given the lyrics of "Aenima". (Obviously I was a fan of the band before jumping to the other side of the spectrum):

Some say the end is near.

Some say we'll see armageddon soon.

I certainly hope we will.

I sure could use a vacation from this

Bullshit three ring circus sideshow of

Freaks

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA

The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.

Any fucking time. Any fucking day.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Fret for your figure and

Fret for your latte and

Fret for your hairpiece and

Fret for your lawsuit and

Fret for your prozac and

Fret for your pilot and

Fret for your contract and

Fret for your car.

It's a

Bullshit three ring circus sideshow of

Freaks

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA

The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.

Any fucking time. Any fucking day.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.

Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.

Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.

Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits.

Some say the end is near.

Some say we'll see armageddon soon.

I certainly hope we will cuz

I sure could use a vacation from this

Silly shit, stupid shit...

One great big festering neon distraction,

I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.

Mom's [ie, Mother Earth] gonna fix it all soon.

Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Learn to swim.

Fuck L Ron Hubbard and

Fuck all his clones.

Fuck all those gun-toting

Hip gangster wannabes.

Learn to swim.

Fuck retro anything.

Fuck your tattoos.

Fuck all you junkies and

Fuck your short memory.

Learn to swim.

Fuck smiley glad-hands

With hidden agendas.

Fuck these dysfunctional,

Insecure actresses.

Learn to swim.

Cuz I'm praying for rain

And I'm praying for tidal waves

I wanna see the ground give way.

I wanna watch it all go down.

Mom please flush it all away.

I wanna watch it go right in and down.

I wanna watch it go right in.

Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.

Don't just call me pessimist.

Try and read between the lines.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't

Welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it all come down.

suck it down.

flush it down.

Edited by brian0918

I've been a fan of Tool for a long time, but am not sure I can still be, given the lyrics of "Aenima".
Most of the music I listen to, I just ignore the lyrics completely (I listen to a lot of music with lyrics). I have been doing it for a long time, and it is very easy for me.

With music, I would suggest judging it in one way: Do you like it? There is no working theory behind the aesthetics of music, so it basically comes down to whether you enjoy it or not. And I have found that lots of music doesn't sync up with its lyrics; the music is usually better, or the tone of the music doesn't match what is explicitly said. Radiohead and Coldplay for the former (both are terrible lyricists, often incomprehensibly so, but write beautiful music), Interpol and Madonna for the latter (Interpol's latest album is more cheerful than what they sing about, Madonna's music is just dancy and fun, but she sings about all kinds of lame or useless).

Edited by JASKN

I've been a fan of Tool for a long time, but am not sure I can still be, given the lyrics of "Aenima". (Obviously I was a fan of the band before jumping to the other side of the spectrum):

And what side of the spectrum do you think this song represents? I fell for Tool long after I discovered Objectivism. They are not my favorite band of all time, but they are certainly the last great band to have come around. I wish that were saying more in the dump-water we have for the "talent-pool" now.

I can agree with his list of people that can go F*** off. I certainly have days where this song strikes a chord. It's just out of context misery with the world. A song's lyrics are not a treatise of views that you subscribe to by playing or even liking the song. Some songs are explicitly nihilistic to the point that I can't like it no matter what. But he's just mad at the festering swell of mindless drones and other ilk of LA, and he never states what he thinks is the positive. He points out the negatives and wishes for it to be flushed away - hell you can even take it metaphorically. He didn't say otherwise, did he?

Ravels piano concerto in G major is among my favorites. The 2nd movement may be the most emotionally reflective(without cheap sentimentality) music ever written. The first and third movements are built around a very playful theme that reminds me of Gershwin.

Paul Hindemiths violin concertos contain some of the most heroic themes. The counterpoint he employs is very Bach like in that it has a logical feel to it, but he dispenses with the "classical" harmonic progressions that so many post Bach composers copied. He actually developed a new harmonic approach (quartal harmony) which is based more on the greek modes, and the physiological consonance of tonal relationships than the traditional school. He was also a violin virtuoso and is among the most underrated composers. He was the Rachmaninoff of violin.

I teach guitar as a second job, and I teach my children music on the piano. I realize the subjective nature of music, but I've noticed that the more a student learns about music the more refined their taste in listening becomes. The student becomes less impressed by worn out musical cliches or music that is devoid of harmonic depth and repetitive. I'm not here to ridicule any ones taste in music, but I agree with Yo Yo Ma "modern popular music is in a vegetative state".

I am a huge fan of metal.

For example, I was working out today and was listening to the album "Way of the Fist" by Five Finger Death Punch. Very brutal.

I also enjoy classical music, although I'm not familiar with it. Neo-classical (Yngwie Malmsteen) is brutal as well.

As for favorite bands, I like everything from Yngwie Malmsteen and DragonForce (light side of the spectrum) to Children of Bodom, Unearth, Dethklok, and Five Finger Death Punch (heavier side).

I big on music theory, and (believe it or not) a lot of metal is big on theory. They tend to use the Harmonic Minor scale, although I also like to write in the Octatonic Scale and Phyrgian and Phyrgian Diminished Scales (along with the standard Minor/Major Scales). The minor 7th diminished arpeggio is also useful at times (a favorite of Yngwie Malmsteen).

Edited by NickS

There's really no type of music genre I don't like, except for bluegrass and heavy metal. It mostly depends on a delicate mixture of the sense-of-life and theme that determines weather I like a song, although the theme is the predominate of the two. I listen to everything from rap to classical, eminem to Rachmaninoff.

Yeah KurtColville, King Crimson fan here. Pre- or post-Belew? (Doesnt' matter, I like em both).

Nice! I like both, too, but have a strong preference for pre-Belew Crimson. Much better melodic and compositional quality and much more interesting lyrics (God, I get sick of Belew's whining about how much the world sucks). Although there is plenty to like with "Discipline" and even their more recent work, for me, "Red", "Larks' Tongues in Aspic", "Starless and Bible Black", and "Lizard" stand head and shoulders above the rest. I wish people had more appreciation for Fripp's musicianship. Few people merit the title "genius", but his is one.

Have you ever seen them in concert? Fantastic to see that music created live!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
So, what kind of music does everyone here enjoy?

[...]

What does everyone else here listen to?

Right now I've been listening to much Goth metal. I really like the mixing of classical and operatic elements with metal. So here is a list of the best that I've found that feature female vocals which most of them are operatic vocals:

Epica

Alkonost

Operatika

Pettalom

Slyver Myst

After Forever

Within Temptation

Coronatus

Atargatis

Amberian Dawn

Rain Fell Within

Luca Turilli - particularly his Dreamquest

Darkwell

Echoes of Eternity

Hanging Doll

Aenima

Lyrae

The Dreamside

Elegeion

Note: most of the lyrics I don't pay much attention to, since I like to listen to the music while I read and I'm way more concerned with those written words, than I am with the sung words.

Right now I've been listening to much Goth metal. I really like the mixing of classical and operatic elements with metal. So here is a list of the best that I've found that feature female vocals which most of them are operatic vocals:

Thanks for that list. I've been looking lately for something along those lines.

As an aside, I'm really enjoying Disturbed.

Thanks for that list. I've been looking lately for something along those lines.

Cool! I also want to add Diablo Swing Orchestra to my list, can't forget about them, especially the "legend" that is associated with them, (though probably wholly fictious - even still) which somone had told me they go into more on their myspace, but here it is briefly:

from the WiKi entry

Supposedly, ancestors of the band members performed orchestral works in defiance of the ruling church at the time (possibly the newly installed protestant Lutheran national church, in power during the mid and late 16th century). The orchestra was forced to go into hiding, performing in secret, with the assistance of oppressed peasants during the era. After years of performing for the pleasure of these peasants, the story claims that the church put a bounty on the performers lives, and that this bounty was so high that the orchestra knew they would soon be captured, and thusly chose to play a spectacular final show before becoming martyred to the church.

Yeah, I don't see how the lyrics of one song are grounds for not liking the band's discography in its entirety.

Some of my favorites: Tool, Eminem, Tech N9ne, Kutt Calhoun, The Beach Boys, Billy Talent, Bun B, The Cure, Death Cab for Cutie, Wu-Tang, Justin Timberlake, Korn, Katy Perry, Lil Wayne, M.I.A., Mindless Self Indulgence, MetroStation, Placebo, Postal Service, Rush, Salt n Pepa, Smashing Pumpkins, T.I., Morrissey, Tonedeff, Extended F@mm, Three 6 Mafia, Weird Al, Will Smith, A Perfect Circle, ELVIS.

Currently playing to death: T.I. "Paper Trail" and Kutt Calhoun "Feature Presentation"

• 1 month later...

A lot of indie/alternative stuff, favorites being Sigur Ros, Radiohead, ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Mars Volta, The Hold Steady, Broken Social Scene, Built to Spill, and a lot others.

I'm really surprised I haven't seen more Radiohead fans. Granted, I've only looked through about 5 pages, but still, I see little mention. In my oppinion, they're the best and most relevant band in the world at the moment. Their output is varied and consistently amazing. They're one of the few bands that have yet to put out anything bad.

A lot of indie/alternative stuff, favorites being Sigur Ros, Radiohead, ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Mars Volta, The Hold Steady, Broken Social Scene, Built to Spill, and a lot others.

I'm really surprised I haven't seen more Radiohead fans. Granted, I've only looked through about 5 pages, but still, I see little mention. In my oppinion, they're the best and most relevant band in the world at the moment. Their output is varied and consistently amazing. They're one of the few bands that have yet to put out anything bad.

The thing is, is that it's your opinion. lol. I do like a little Radiohead, but not to the same affect as other artists. Furthermore, has your taste in music changed? I used to like Muse, Radioheadish music a lot, but now I'm moving more towards more pop rockish bands.

The thing is, is that it's your opinion. lol. I do like a little Radiohead, but not to the same affect as other artists. Furthermore, has your taste in music changed? I used to like Muse, Radioheadish music a lot, but now I'm moving more towards more pop rockish bands.

I've always had more underground/indie taste, but its not limited to bands I would only find on pitchfork media or anything. I like a lot of popular stuff, but I find it to be pretty shallow at times. Not in lyrics, necesarily, but the sound in general seems very...one dimensional. With bands like Radiohead, you get more subtlties and originality.

And of course I know its just my opinion, but I just thought I would see more mention. I figured they were one of the more popular bands of the time, but I haven't seen much mention at all. And as far as Muse goes, they are a watered-down version of radiohead in my mind.

I've always had more underground/indie taste, but its not limited to bands I would only find on pitchfork media or anything. I like a lot of popular stuff, but I find it to be pretty shallow at times. Not in lyrics, necesarily, but the sound in general seems very...one dimensional. With bands like Radiohead, you get more subtlties and originality.
Radiohead is my personal favorite, though lots of their stuff used to be off-limits for me because it sounded too depressing. Now, though, I don't hear it that way, and as you described, the subtleties are a pleasure. Take the tone of "Reckoner" on their latest album, which I think is one of their most beautiful songs, yet it is unusual. Or there is "Gagging Order" from one of their singles, where only a guitar is used but it sounds as if it the whole band is playing. That song is also gorgeous. And then of course "Morning Bells" from Kid A, or that entire album really. I was pretty thrilled with their latest album, which I think is their best.

I view Muse as just a "loud" band with some fun songs. Not really comparable to Radiohead, but a good band nonetheless.