Objectivism Online Forum

Email Notification Of Replies

Rate this topic

Dismuke

Even though every time I post to this forum I see a box checked saying "You are already receiving email notifications for this topic," I never do receive any email notifications to threads where subsequent replies are made. I do glance through my spam folder a few times a week - so the problem is not that they are being swallowed by such a filter.

I do know that the email address in my user profile is valid and that the board's mail system does work because I DO recieve email notifications whenever someone sends me a Personal Message through the board. I just don't get similar email notifications for topic replies.

Any idea what could be causing the problem?

Thanks,

• 4 months later...

Still no notification. I have again checked to make sure my email address is correct. It is. The bottom two board preferences (selecting email notifications) are checked under My Controls. I do routinely receive email notifications from forums.4aynrandfans.com. Knowing my past history, I have probably overlooked something obvious. However, it seems Dismuke never found a solution either.

I notice that below this preview window, the OO system is telling me: "You are currently receiving email notification of replies."

The puzzle remains.

I just now tried UNchecking the Enable Email Notification by Default option.

On the forums.4aynrandfans.com, where I do receive notification, that box, the bottom one of the three, is UNchecked.

Perhaps I have been cancelling the notification by requesting it in two places -- My Controls and on the preview window box. Perhaps two "yes" (in effect) result in a "no" notification. I will see.

Edited by BurgessLau

Unfortunately, no. Laughing, I wonder what I have done to deserve this unique learning opportunity?

In good humor, I should note that the statement, which I see below the Preview box, "You are currently receiving email notification of replies," should be changed to, "The system is set to SEND you replies, but whether you are RECEIVING them or not is another matter."

D, thank you for your efforts. I can live with the situation if necessary. Perhaps an answer will emerge in time.

Here is an observation: On the forums.4aynrandfans.com, I doublechecked My Controls, Email Settings, Board Preferences. There are three check boxes. The first is not checked. The second IS checked. Strangely, the third (Enable Email Notification by Default) is NOT checked. The box inside that is in NO EMAIL NOTIFICATION setting.

Yet I am receiving notification of every email reply to every topic to which I subscribe. Strange.

However, as I said before, I do routinely check the box below the Preview window, the box requesting email notification for replies to the topic.

I have now set my OO.net to the same settings in My Controls, Email Settings, Board Preferences -- to see what happens, if anything.

P. S. -- I routinely disable emoticons on my own messages. I doubt that has anything to do with this problem, but I mention in the off-chance it might.

Half an hour later, no email received.

My Junk-mail folder is empty. I vaguely remember clearing it out a few days ago because I was backing up email folders to a jump-drive. I don't recall seeing any OO.net messages when I glanced at the content, but of course I wasn't looking for them either.

I have a Mac mini. I am using Apple Mail. Is it possible my ISP could be deleting all OO.net messages -- but not ones from forums.4aynrandfans.com? So far as I know, I am receiving all other email I am supposed to receive.

If all else fails, do a little test with some alternate e-mail address (obtained from a different domain). When that still doesn't work, you'll know the problem is with OO.

Thank you. I am not sure how to implement that, but I will wait. As you said, "if all else fails."

In the meantime, I have reset my Preferences for Mail to not trust my ISP's headers for junk mail. That means my system must also begin relearning what is junk, but I get so little anyway that it shouldn't be onerous.

Perhaps SN could try sending me another email via OO.net or even directly from another system, if he can read my address from my account.

For the record, I managed to fix the problem I was experiencing a week or two after I started this thread.

If my memory is correct, what happened in my case is I had "enable email notification by default" option checked in my control panel - but I also had "no email notification" selected from the drop down box next to it. Therefore, since I had email notification enabled by default, I was automatically subscribed to all threads. However, because I had selected "no email notification" the emails I was subscribed to were never sent out. When I changed "no email notification" to "immediate email notification" the problem was corrected.

Interestingly enough, however, I more recently have not been receiving any replies to the Katrina Rabble thread that I started many months ago and has since become active - despite the fact that I am subscribed to it already. However, I have been getting tons of notifications for the "Do Objectivists Tip" thread.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.