Objectivism Online Forum

Name The Meta-blog

Rate this topic

TomL has levied the demand that the formerly named EgoSphere meta-blog be renamed. The OO.net administrators have decided not to argue with this demand as the possible gains are, quite frankly, infinitesimal, so now the meta-blog needs a new name.

I'm hoping that our members can give us a hand in the creative process and suggest some good names they'd like to have us use. At present, there is no prize or anything other than the fact that you get to brag that you came up with the best name and see it every time you log into OO.net. Also note that we're looking for a permanent name, as changing the name of a website every month is not so good if you want regular visitors. In other words, no changing your mind and asking for the name BACK.

If you're shy about your creative ability, you can send your suggestions in a PM to . . . hmm . . . SoftwareNerd, who I'm putting in charge of tabulating the results without asking him, because I'm too lazy to do it. :dough:

There are no established name parameters as of yet, although SoftwareNerd has suggested that it might be helpful to have either "Objectivist" or "Objectivism" in the name to boost the search rating; names of this sort will be given slightly more consideration than others.

TomL has levied the demand that the formerly named EgoSphere meta-blog be renamed. The OO.net administrators have decided not to argue with this demand as the possible gains are, quite frankly, infinitesimal, so now the meta-blog needs a new name.

Well now, that's just freaky. Now I really don't regret my refusal to post to the same meta-blog with that arch-rationalist. (I'd be interested to read his claim, if anyone is willing to forward me the e-mail I hear he's been circulating.)

Since I'm the person who came up with the rather silly name of "NoodleFood" for my own blog, I suspect that I ought not even attempt to suggest any names. Ah, but let me throw caution to the wind!

Personally, I'd rather not use Ayn Rand's name, as that seems presumptous. The same goes for the names of her characters. However, it would be nice to suggest that it's a collection of people. A few ideas:

The Capitalist Conspiracy

The Reason Brigade

The New Intellectuals

Egoism Central

(Oh, I just thought: I want to start a campus group called "Crusaders Against Christ"! Okay, not really, but I love the name. Maybe I just need a t-shirt.)

Reason's Fountain(head) (or Fountain(head) of Reason)

ReasonStream

EgoStream

Ego's Haven

Ego's Wellspring

EgoSpring

AisA Chronicles

The Ego Chronicles

Selfish Chronicles

Chronicles of Self

The Selfish Ones

Isn't brainstorming fun? Okay, so I was only braindrizzling... ;)

The Objectivism Online Meta-Blog

I don't think that we have to necessarily use a name with a double meaning, or with a reference to a character or event in Rand's writings. I think that this is a great title. It makes it clear what that section of the site IS; I didn't even understand what the "Egosphere" for a while.

Edited by Free Thinker

Okay, here is the list thus far:

• AisA Chronicles
  • AtlantiSphere
  • Chronicles of Self
  • ClubObjectivism
  • ClubRand
  • Ego's Haven
  • Ego's Wellspring
  • EgoSpring
  • EgoStream
  • Egoism Central
  • GaltNet
  • LogoSphere (If we're allowed to use "sphere" )
  • RationalNet
  • Reason's Fountain(head) (or Fountain(head) of Reason)
  • ReasonStream
  • Selfish Chronicles
  • Students of Objectivism
  • The Capitalist Conspiracy
  • The Ego Chronicles
  • The Gulch
  • The LogoBlogs (For the Greek, Logos, for reason)
  • The New Intellectuals [proposed and seconded!]
  • The ObjectiBlog
  • The Objectivism Online Meta-Blog
  • The Reason Brigade
  • The Selfish Ones
  • Wealthy Mind Objectivist Meta-Blog

Members who don't have any other ideas but would like to comment on the pros and cons of the above are encouraged to do so.

Most of them I don't care for, just because they don't really "flow," i.e. they don't sound right, or their just a mouthful.

[*]AtlantiSphere

I have a particular objection to this one, because it is easily confused with the Atlasphere, which I understand has its own meta-blog.

[*]EgoStream

This one has a nice ring to it, and has a bit of continuity with the old name.

[*]The New Intellectuals [proposed and seconded!]

I really think this one is perfect, though. Consider it thirded.

One quandary is that the cute and flowing ones aren't the nice Google search terms. We're an online forum that depends on web-search to get the word out. The number of people who find the forum through a search is much higher than the number who find us through word of mouth or web-links.

One might argue that the "better" members would find us anyway. That's a discussion for elsewhere. For this thread I'd say... there must be someone here who can come up with a nice, catchy phrase that also contains a search-friendly term.That way we don't give up on either count.

Get those thinking hats on!

Hah, I also proposed New Intellectuals in the Mods' forum; I liked the sound of it. I also thought of:

21st Century Motor Company

Production Line

Authentic Grandeur (comes from "The Monument Builders", I think)

Marketplace of Atlantis

The Conscientious Objectivist

Independence Press

Modern Objectivists

Objectivist Watch

Persistent Objectivism

I also said:

If you Google "Objectivism" #1 is The Ayn Rand Institute. I don't think we can or should try to beat them out for search returns. However, if you Google "Objectivist" #1 is The Objectivist Center and I'm sure we'd be doing everyone a service by knocking them down a bit. I mean, assuming that people are so unselective to just take whatever's #1.

Are people really finding OO.net through the meta-blog?

Nope; they're mostly finding us by searching for "Objectivism" and similar terms. When they do, they like do not even hit the meta-blog. Yet, the site benefits from it's pages being associated with the "right" search-terms.

Google associates our site with "Objectivism" and various other terms. Tons of things go into the strength of each term-association. So, I wouldn't want to over emphasize this single aspect. Still, each time someone links to us, we are associated with words that surround us on their page. In particular, we are associated with the words they use to title our link.

Mind you, I'm not saying: sacrifice one for the other. Maybe we can't think of something that has utility from a search perspective and is also cute. That's fine. In that case, I am not saying we must go for the non-cute option.

Just saying: if we can have both, that would be oh! so cool.

From the looks of it though, "New Intellectuals" is winning by three horse-lengths.