Objectivism Online Forum

Devil May Cry 3: Worth Your Time.

Rate this topic

Elysium

Well, I suppose I'll start off my first actual thread on OO with something lighthearted.

Devil May Cry 3, prequel to Devil May Cry 1. Rent it and try it out.

The premise: you are Dante, a silver-hair 1/2 human 1/2 devil badass whose dad beat the everloving crap out of all the rest of hell because he took "pity" on the humans. He sealed his devil powers on the other side, lost all his power, retired to Earth, married a human wife, and sired two twin sons. Your twin brother, Vergil, is this game's main villain. He is after power and is willing to do anything to get it because you and Vergil lost your mother to "evil" (yes, it's nondescript) when you were both around 10. Vergil figures that as long as he is able to acquire power by any means, he can protect himself or anyone he wishes.

The gameplay mechanism is simple: you kill a bunch of demons that are sent to kill you by your brother (or so you think), you build up to boss fights, then you go to beat his ass. You do this by stringing together VERY long combos using very intuitive controls. You avoid damage by learning audio and visual cues that enemies will all give off right before they attack. The result is that you look incredibly badass as you slay a room full of demons without taking a single hit, all while taunting them and in general looking very stylish.

What does this game have for an O'ist (nice contraction by the way XD)? The brash protagonist, Dante, is a loud-mouth cheeseball at first who essentially has NO principles, good or bad, soon, through fighting his brother, learns that the pursuit of power as an end is meaningless. He is also, from that point on, dedicated to the preservation of human life. He has rationally accepted that the evils he's fighting against are

Yeah, I know that it's a very rudimentary O'ist approach to the story, but at least the hammer hit the right place.

Gameplay-wise, I'd say that it's one of the smoothest games I've played. You can free flow gun and sword moves to fit how you see fit. See example:

- Approach 3 enemies at once, they're about to swipe their scythes at you.

- Jump over the 1st scythe, hover in mid air by rapidly firing your twin handguns for a second to dodge the scythes.

- Come crashing down with a falling "Helm Breaker" slash.

- Immediately do a 3 hit combo on the first 2 guys, stunning them. The 3rd hit has higher knock back.

- Stinger (sliding stab move that basically rams you straight at enemies very fast) the 3rd one. By that point, he will be backed up against a wall.

- High Time (uppercut type move with the sword that sends him into the air) him, jump up after him.

- Perform a 4 hit Aerial Rave (mid air sword swings), the 4th hit knocking him away.

- Air Hike (double jump) toward him.

- Helm Breaker down on him again.

- Stinger.

And keep in mind that this is what would be considered a "basic" combo. When you add in on-the-fly weapon switching for two sets of guns and melee weapons, things really get interesting.

DMC3 Gamespot Review which actually shows a player who sucks at the game, but gives you a good idea of what it's about.

Advanced DMC3 combo video, the best of the best.

Edited by Elysium

• 3 months later...

Well, it seems that most O'ists don't like this game. >_>

Anyway, I'm not one for "bumping" topics, but this video was brought to my attention. It's 60+MB, about 8 minutes long, but was such a feast for my eyes that I had to post it here.

Wildfire, by Xaruga03.

I guarantee that watching this video will not disappoint, unless you are disappointed by incredible displays of awesomeness that make the simple act of playing a video game look like an artform. The only downside I can see to this video is that people who aren't in the know of what Devil May Cry is like may not be able to tell what is happening, as all the advanced techniques are executed at such blinding speeds.

I played the first one, and it was a pretty cool game. I was very impressed with the combination of choice in character development, gameplay and graphics. It was the gameplay that stood out. The only other game that came close (and surpassed DMC in graphics) was Ninja Gaiden for the X-Box. I'd be interested in checking out DMC3, if only for a couple of hours.

edit:Do you get demon powers in this version?

Edited by FeatherFall

DMC3 is one of my all-time favs. Have you played the new version with Vergil playable, Elysium? I've got the original version, and I still need to beat it on Hard and up :worry:

I'm definitely not at the level of those vids, I'm going to have to practice those Royal Guard bits :lol:

I need to play Ninja Gaiden ('specially Black) if I convince someone to let me borrow an XBox, and I heard God of War was somewhat similar - a prettier, but less technical DMC3 from what I've gotten.

Unfortunately, from what I've heard, many people felt that DMC3 was too hard (wussies :( ) and so DMC4 is going to be made less difficult. Hopefully, it won't be another DMC2...

hunterrose: Vergil? Of course. He's a killing machine. XD He's a much less flashy, more direct character than Dante, so has a harder time achieving style, but outputs damage faster. I can't wait to get Special Edition for my PS2 after I install a hard drive into it. If you keep at it, the game really isn't too hard. Granted, the original version's Hard mode is the Special Edition's "Very Hard" mode. It's not too bad compared to the true test of manhood that is Dante Must Die! mode. :( Name says it all. >_>

Featherfall: I highly recommend DMC3 Special Edition. It's released now on both PS2 and PC (well, PC as of 04/18/06), both retailing for $20. I've clocked well over 90+ hours on the original DMC3, and roughly 30+ on Special Edition. It's just too addictive. You do get Devil Powers in this game, but they're much more limited than in DMC1 (as DMC3 is the prequel in terms of plot). You won't really need to turn into a devil for most of the time though, as your other crazy combo skills are more than enough.

God of War: it's a decent game in terms of an overall cinematic experience, and I can see why a lot of people really like it, but in all honesty, the gameplay falls flat. It's completely flowery, 80% of all moves are useless. It's also retardedly easy. You can literally just walk around, mashing the attack button, and wrack up 300+ hit combos without getting hit yourself.

Ninja Gaiden/Black: a great game in terms of play control, abilities, and difficulty. It focuses on effectively and quickly killing off enemies by using your best techniques ASAP, whereas DMC3 rewards you for actually getting involved with the combo system. It's not my cup of tea, but I can definitely see how a lot of people love the game.

... Plus I don't own an Xbox. >_>

• 3 months later...

I just beat the game yesterday, and while I admit it was fun (bloody camera issues aside) I have no idea where you get the following from:

What does this game have for an O'ist (nice contraction by the way XD)? The brash protagonist, Dante, is a loud-mouth cheeseball at first who essentially has NO principles, good or bad, soon, through fighting his brother, learns that the pursuit of power as an end is meaningless. He is also, from that point on, dedicated to the preservation of human life. He has rationally accepted that the evils he's fighting against are

Yeah, I know that it's a very rudimentary O'ist approach to the story, but at least the hammer hit the right place.

I don't think his character changes at all in this game.

First, Dante was never after power. Vergil explicitly berates him for not seeking power in their first encounter. If anything Dante's problem is that he's a thrill-seeker and show-off, which definitely does not change by game's end. Remember him yelling how he lives for this sort of thing right before the demon attack in the closing credits?

Second, I think Dante already had a soft spot for humans to begin with. He let Lady live even though she tried to kill him multiple times (the first time before she even knew who or what he was). By contrast, he was ready to blow body parts off of Jester just for annoying him.