Objectivism Online Forum

Happy New Year To Every Single One Of You!

Rate this topic

Happy New Year to all!

I brought my new year in by watching some drunk sailor puke all over himself and the sidewalk as myself and another officer waited for Shore Patrol to come pick him up. He was not experiencing a great deal of self-esteem at that moment. I was glad that I wasn't that poor guy, nor will I ever be.

:D Happy New Year! ;)

Some cultures have a superstition that what happens on the first day of the year foretells the rest of the year. Others change this into a tradition: live the first day as a microcosm of the coming year. A nice tradition, I think.

Some cultures have a superstition that what happens on the first day of the year foretells the rest of the year.

Well, if this is the case, then I'll have a wonderful new year. I made thirty dollars with my small website while I was out partying. I woke up without even having a hangover today and found 40$ in my Adsense account with only 10 bucks spent on advertising. :D

Talk about a good start into the year.

I'm having a pretty good day as well. No hangover . . . largely because I only had 2 glasses of champagne. Moderation in drinking, that's me. If only I could learn to be so moderate about food I'd have it made.

I beat Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones after trying to kill that %&@# Vizier for like four days. I love those video games. I posted on my blog. I'm cleaning up a bit around here, and a friend is coming over to practice sword-and-buckler shortly.

Good times. Now I just need to think of what I want to do for dinner.

2005 was a pretty good year for me; busy and nerve-wracking, sometimes, but full of incident and numerous changes. Here's to 2006!

Some cultures have a superstition that what happens on the first day of the year foretells the rest of the year. Others change this into a tradition: live the first day as a microcosm of the coming year. A nice tradition, I think.

Champagne and black eyed peas at midnight with family, followed by a breakfast of hot tamales with family.

Yes, I do hope this is a microcosm of the new year.

I don't even mind the nasty cold I've got. achoo.

Well, I had a quiet night in with my partner after spending quite a few days over Christmas with a busy house full of extended family and friends. No hangover as I only had a few cocktails (Vodka, Tia Maria, Taboo and Coca-cola in a tall glass goes down really smoothly :D ) but it was really relaxing.

As long as I can face the coming year's ups-and-downs with a clear, focused mind I'm sure my life will continue to bring me joy. Hopefully yours will too.

Thank you, I will make sure that I do have a great year, I certainly have lots too keep me busy, and little to intefer, so that should be fairly likely.

I did not really do all that much, just hung around with a good mate and mentally planning the year ahead. I have never really been all that keen on the party thing, I prefer small quiet celebrations anyway.

Oh, and I wish all of the rest of you a good year ahead, may your 'soul' fly on the wings of well deserved success.

Edited by Prometheus98876

• 8 years later...

From History.com

January 1 Becomes New Year’s Day

The early Roman calendar consisted of 10 months and 304 days, with each new year beginning at the vernal equinox; according to tradition, it was created by Romulus, the founder of Rome, in the eighth century B.C. A later king, Numa Pompilius, is credited with adding the months of Januarius and Februarius. Over the centuries, the calendar fell out of sync with the sun, and in 46 B.C. the emperor Julius Caesar decided to solve the problem by consulting with the most prominent astronomers and mathematicians of his time. He introduced the Julian calendar, which closely resembles the more modern Gregorian calendar that most countries around the world use today.

As part of his reform, Caesar instituted January 1 as the first day of the year, partly to honor the month’s namesake: Janus, the Roman god of beginnings, whose two faces allowed him to look back into the past and forward into the future. Romans celebrated by offering sacrifices to Janus, exchanging gifts with one another, decorating their homes with laurel branches and attending raucous parties.  In medieval Europe, Christian leaders temporarily replaced January 1 as the first of the year with days carrying more religious significance, such as December 25 (the anniversary of Jesus’ birth) and March 25 (the Feast of the Annunciation); Pope Gregory XIII reestablished January 1 as New Year’s Day in 1582.

scottkursk mentioned, in 2006, champagne and black-eyed peas. From the same source:

In many parts of the world, traditional New Year’s dishes feature legumes, which are thought to resemble coins and herald future financial success; examples include lentils in Italy and black-eyed peas in the southern United States.

Happy New Year.