Objectivism Online Forum

The IT Industry For Non-college-graduates?

Rate this topic

Sammy

Hello. I'm moving from an arab country to the west (most probably Europe) without any college degrees. I do however have excellent experience in C++ and C# programming though this can only be proven by actually working since I do not have a portfolio of code or something!

- How would not having a degree negatively affect my career/job hunting procedure?

- Will I be refused in places simply because I'm not a college graduate?

- Should I think about pursuing a college degree while I'm working? Is it possible (especially time-wise)?

- How much money should I expect a year in the US/Europe?

Thank you,

Sammy

Hello. I'm moving from an arab country to the west (most probably Europe) without any college degrees. I do however have excellent experience in C++ and C# programming though this can only be proven by actually working since I do not have a portfolio of code or something!

Congratulations. Have you read any Ayn Rand yet?

I've been a programmer (in America) for going on 30 years and do not have a degree. The issue seldom arises, and when it does, it's in the context of the most bureaucratic organizations: government, and very large corporations. Bureaucracies don't have thinking individuals who can assess the real nature of a potential employee, so they default to a checklist of requirements.

That said, a degree could still benefit you, particularly if you want to do anything in a scientific field, where a degree is basically mandantory. I suggest that it be in an area that you truly like and getting the crap courses (e.g. modern humanities) out of the way as soon as possible.

Money, it all depends. Expect less at first, particularly as an immigrant. Don't forget that in America, and some parts of Europe, you can be more entrepeneurial than you could be in your native country - you can try being in business for yourself, or starting one with competent friends.

Congratulations. Have you read any Ayn Rand yet?

I've been a programmer (in America) for going on 30 years and do not have a degree. The issue seldom arises, and when it does, it's in the context of the most bureaucratic organizations: government, and very large corporations. Bureaucracies don't have thinking individuals who can assess the real nature of a potential employee, so they default to a checklist of requirements.

That said, a degree could still benefit you, particularly if you want to do anything in a scientific field, where a degree is basically mandantory. I suggest that it be in an area that you truly like and getting the crap courses (e.g. modern humanities) out of the way as soon as possible.

Money, it all depends. Expect less at first, particularly as an immigrant. Don't forget that in America, and some parts of Europe, you can be more entrepeneurial than you could be in your native country - you can try being in business for yourself, or starting one with competent friends.

Thanks, that was actually helpful/relieving!

Is this a joke?

Excuse me? I'm not laughing am I?!

• 2 weeks later...

My old boss worked for my company as a programmer/manager for several years and he never earned a degree. He started off doing low-level programming for a company that his mom worked at. After that he took a job at my company doing VB.NET and database programming.

Not having a degree will certainly make things harder on you. In fact, I think the main reason my old boss was able to break into the industry is because he had a connection at that company. You might try starting off at a computer repair shop while you look for a programming job. At a lot of the smaller shops you can get a bit of web development experience, which could help you gain some credability. And you'll still get some experience in the IT industry, even if it isn't in programming.

Another option is to earn an MCP or other certification. It's not very expensive, and since you already have programming experience you might be able to just take the tests without taking any classes.

I disagree, I don't even have a ANY high school and have never had a problem getting programming jobs (good paying ones). IT is one of the few industries where a college degree doesn't matter very much though it can be helpful. You just need to think in terms of what a potential employer might want and go from there.

In general they want smart people who work hard (a lot of programmers do not) and who can communicate well. Definetly get some code samples together though, with no experiance in the US, no degree and a short history of living in the US employers may be skeptical.

(Removed quote of prev post - sN)

Edited by softwareNerd