Objectivism Online Forum

The Morality of Alcohol

Rate this topic

nimble

Yes, I do drink socially, because it helps me relax and have fun. Real fun, through I guess "artificial" means, to a small extent. (if you wish to call that synthetic, go ahead, the word has no negative connotations to me) I guess part of the reason is that my friends tend to drink in social settings, which would make it even less fun if I didn't drink than hanging out with people who never drink.

I'm glad that you pointed out and hinted at the problems with labeling drinking as "synthetic fun". Fun doesn't naturally come to me, and I don't think it naturally comes to anyone; it must be achieved in some manner. To label it synthetic or artificial would be pretty irregular, and would be no different from labeling going to the movies or riding a roller coaster as synthetic; and that would be absurd.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad that you pointed out and hinted at the problems with labeling drinking as "synthetic fun". Fun doesn't naturally come to me, and I don't think it naturally comes to anyone; it must be achieved in some manner.
Worse is the implied dichotomy between the natural and the synthetic. It puts phenomena like photosynthesis and other processes necessary for life in a precarious position, and of course everything that is man-made is "synthetic". Man in his natural state is the greatest synthesizer ever.

I use alcohol only as a kind of medicine. I dislike the people who use it for 'entertainment'. But that's probably because I have seen many people who have drunk themselves to poverty.

Pharmacykeys,

The potential that one could be harmed by something does not make it immoral.

Sports, hiking, most manual labour, cooking, home repairs, car repairs.. all these can cause as much injury as consumption of alcohol.

All modes of consumption are not the same... bottle of wine, single malt scotch, a nice cocktail w/friends, w/dinner, while enjoying a good book or sunset of sporting event, a toddy in front of the fire on a rainy winter day.. these are not the same as swilling a gallon of drugstore malt liquor.

Make the distinction between having a drink and getting drunk. Someone gets drunk to escape the necessity of thought. Alcohol, like most any drug, inhibits the proper relationship between thoughts and feelings. Abusing it or any drug is a form of reality escapism. Are there situations where it's moral to have a drink, or a few? Yes, certainly, but these would be random and accidental (such as having drinks with dinner, not concerned with counting each and every ounce, or dealing with momentary but severe emotional pain). But to the OP, if this pattern of behavior is consistent with your girl, and getting drunk is something of an activity in and of itself for her, then you're dealing with a certain level of drug abuse. Remember that inanimate objects are neither moral or immoral. Only individuals, with the possibility of choice, can be classified as either.