Objectivism Online Forum

New Chat Room

Rate this topic

Someone was able to log in and change their name to the one I was currently using and then masquerade as me. This urgently needs to be fixed. (I tried changing my name, and then changing it back, and it prevented me from doing so saying the name was already taken - obviously it's selective about when it chooses to prevent name-clashes).

I raised an issue on the forum run by the guy who worte the software. It is a 0.7 version, so bugs can be expected.

Meanwhile, when you go to chat, you will again see yourself identified as "egoistnn", rather than the forum member-name.

Bug: The bug mentioned above has now been found by the Chat folk. The developer of the Chat software will release it in the next version.

Chat Nick: Most Chat Users know this already, but I wanted to make it public for all:

The user-profile allows one to set up a Chat Nick. If you are logged in to the forum and go to chat, you will get that as your default nick. If that is not set up, your member-name will be used (first 15 characters only).

Login: Right now, we have he ability to force Chat users to be logged in to the forum before they access Chat. Since Chat is new, it probably makes sense to allow it to be a little more open for now, so that non-members can take it for a spin.

Chat Moderation: Broadly, I would think the Chat is an extension of the Forum and the purposes of the Forum hold in Chat. If anyone has thoughts on Chat rules, moderations, etc., let's discuss the topic.