Objectivism Online Forum

-1 New Message

Rate this topic

It's not posing a problem really, but my link (which still works fine) on the top right hand of my forum page reads "-1 New Messages".

How does one get a New Messages deficit? Do I owe someone a new message now? :) j/k

That's funny. I've never seen that happen in the message-count, but I have seen it happen in other places: as in "this thread contains -1 posts"! The software keeps counters so that it does not have to re-count stuff. I figure they sometimes get out of synch. There are some admin options that tell the software to rebuild various counters. I'll give that a try.

• 1 year later...
I got the -1 New Message thing today, after deleting an old message. Then I deleted another one and it went to -2 New Messages.
Have you tried deleting an infinite number of messages to find out if there is such a thing as negative infinity?

Good idea, I will try sending myself huge amonts of messages and then delete them (I found out you can message yourself ) ! :P

But seriously, it seems to have stopped now. But when it was still doing it, it wouldnt do it everytiem I deleted one of the messages in my Inbox. Im wondering if cookies could be at all to blame here..

... it seems to have stopped now.
I reset the negatives to 0, in the database. It'll happen again.

From what I've seen, it's related to "saved" messages. Deleting a message from the "Saved (Unsent)" folder appears to decrement the "new message count". It's a "feature" :P

Ah, well that seems to be about in line with what was going on before. Thanks, though it was not as though it bothered me, it was more of a curious thing to happen.

I got to say, it is an odd "feature" :-P

Have you tried deleting an infinite number of messages to find out if there is such a thing as negative infinity?

I wouldn't bother. The existence of negative infinity has been proved already. It is the number of constructive proposals for Iraq by the Democratic Party.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.