Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Government

Rate this topic

As I understand it, an Objectivist government would consist of a policing division, a military division, and a judiciary system.

These are my questions:

1. Who will be in command of the military (ie. when we are attacked, who will have the power to declare war)?

2. Who will and how will members of the judiciary system (namely judges and lawmakers) come to positions of power (will they be elected / appointed and by who)?

Thanks,

Casey

Edited by NewYorkRoark

As I understand it, an Objectivist government would consist of a policing division, a military division, and a judiciary system.

Not quite. What you've identified are the 3 proper roles of the government - the police, the military and the courts. That does not mean the government is divided into, and consists of, only those things akin to the current "division of powers."

The United States, as it is structured, can be an "Objectivist government" if it refined and limited its powers according to the principles Rand gave.

These are my questions:

1. Who will be in command of the military (ie. when we are attacked, who will have the power to declare war)?
Whichever person, or group of persons, the constitution gives this power to, idealy a civilian.

2. Who will and how will members of the judiciary system (namely judges and lawmakers)

Legislators are a distinct class from judges, at least in America and a divided-power system.

come to positions of power (will they be elected / appointed and by who)?

Some positions will be appointed, some elected. Again, that depends on the Constitution in place.

Objectivism doesn't address these precise points.

Edited by Captain Nate

1. As it happens, I heard Dr Brook answer this exact question at a public talk. He said it would be the President, with the consent of Congress. (pretty much the same as what is supposed to be the case now.) The President would not be able to take unilateral action (to prevent arbitrary abuses of power) except in emergencies eg sudden attack.

2. Most likely, legislators would be elected and judges would be appointed by and with the consent of legislators. (again similar to now)

Actually, Objectivism doesn't have anything to say on this subject, other than defining the proper purpose of government, as Captain Nate illustrated.

I imagine there might be any number of ways of doing the job: what's important is that individual rights are secured.