Objectivism Online Forum

Free @objectivismonline Gmail Accounts!

Rate this topic

I have some very exciting news: ObjectivismOnline.net has been accepted as a tester for the new Gmail domain program.

This means that you can get an @objectivismonline.net email address and use Gmail as your mail interface. Google will manage your mail and provides the storage, so you don't have to worry about the security or reliability of the service.

To sign up, contact me or reply to this thread. I need a name, last name, desired email address, and optionally, a password.

Hurry! Only the first 50 users will be given a free account. (But let me know if you decide not to use it, to make room for others.)

Your account comes with a Google Talk chat account, which will integrated with your mail account.

Cheers,

david @ objectivismonline . net

(Google provides a guide to switching from your old mail provider: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/static....e.html&switch=1 )

To login to your email, go to http://mail.objectivismonline.net

Google will manage your mail and provides the storage, so you don't have to worry about the security or reliability of the service.

One thing I would note is that it would not necessarily be a good idea to trust the security of Gmail too much. Google archives practically all data, even "permanently deleted" emails, meaning that anything you ever send or receive from Gmail will forever be subject to future possible hackerish intrusions into their systems, as well as government subpoenas at any point in the future for whatever reason.

See, e.g.: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060317-6406.html. From that article:

Baker is a Gmail user and apparently used Google's "Delete Forever" function in an attempt to get rid of all record of the e-mails. However, in the GMail terms of service, Google says that it may store deleted e-mail in its "offline backup systems" for as long as it desires.

I'm not focusing on the apparent criminality of the person involved, but on Google's stated policy.

I think it's safe, since the password will be changed immediately. Anyway, Google generates a random password by default, so it's optional. You shouldn't be sharing your password with me either.

In any case, I will delete any registrations requests posted here after I process them.

One thing I would note is that it would not necessarily be a good idea to trust the security of Gmail too much. Google archives practically all data, even "permanently deleted" emails, meaning that anything you ever send or receive from Gmail will forever

I don't think this is correct. Google does not guarantee that any particular data will not be deleted in a given time frame because it can't - the nature of the Google file system makes that impossible. It does NOT archive deleted files forever - backups are cleared periodically, and after 30 days or so, it's highly unlikely that the data can be reasonably retrieved. That's probably better odds than if you tried to erase email from your hard drive without special wiping utilities. And even if you did wipe stuff from your hard drive - does your ISP?

If you have secrets, the only reasonably safe way to share them is using end-to-end encryption between physically secured computers.

The next thing on my wish list in this respect is an RSS feed of the newly replied topics that can be read in gmail.

You can do this by clicking "Customize Clips" in Gmail.

Paste http://ObjectivismOnline.com/forum.xml in the textbox, and click "add". Voila!

By the way, it took a few days, but the new accounts are fully activated now.

• 4 years later...

Hi, I signed up for this program a few years ago (and made a donation to obtain an @selfmadehero.net address). Since then, I've been using that as my primary e-mail address.

As of today, mail.objectivismonline.net no longer takes me to the gmail login screen but to something else entirely. This has rendered me unable to access my e-mail account, which is a significant problem for me.

If anyone would be so kind as to let me know whether this issue is temporary, or what I might do to restore access to my e-mail account, it would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!

• DavidV unpinned this topic