Objectivism Online Forum

Teaching High-schoolers To Draw Nudes

Rate this topic

softwareNerd

Thanks to the Zigory blog, I was led to an article by the "Art Renewal Center" describing the case of a high-school art teacher who has been suspended for suggesting that his students attend a particular drawing course that included drawing nudes. From his side of the story, he was not suggesting they strip and draw each other, or anything of the sort. He was suggesting a specific course, in which he was involved (or which he led). Presumably this would be with parental permission, as was the case with four of his students from a previous class. According to him, it would also involve parental chaperons.

On the face of it, it appears to be a over-reaction by the school. I guess it is unsurprising that religious ,concrete-bound folk have more influence in public schools, just as they do in politics.

My art teacher in high school suggested this and I never saw any problem with it. (My parents, however, were dorks and dissuaded me from going.) It's essentially the only way for serious students to learn how to draw the human figure.