Objectivism Online Forum

Need Help With This Site

Rate this topic

I need some help configuring this website.

I am running IIS6.0 for some other websites on port 80, and I need to keep it that way. But I am having all kinds of trouble running ObjectivismOnline on IIS, so decided to try running it on Apache. I purchased another IP address, installed Apache 2.2, and configured Listen to point to 217.160.253.89:80 (the new IP). But when I try to start apache, I get:

“(OS 10013)An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address 217.160.253.89:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down”

So, I shut down IIS, and Apache runs – but then IIS will not. But they are on separate IP addresses, right? Why doesn’t IIS take the available address?

Here's what seems really strange: if I go to the new IP, it says "Bad Request" and the response header says "Server: Apache/2.2.2 (Win32)". But it's not shown as running in services or the process list! How is it responding at all??

So I got Apache2 working on port 8080.

It works with chat:

http://217.160.253.89:8080/oo/chat/chat.php

Is the Apache "ServerName" also set? Is it set using the IP or the hostname?

It's set to the IP:80 now.

Why does the "machinery site" come up when one uses the IP in the browser?

It was the default domain. I removed the default, now both IP's give a "bad hostname" on port 80.

As you can see above, Apache works fine on 8080 with the new IP, but not 80. I have reconfigured every IIS site to use the old IP only, but it doesn't help.

Chat works, but I don't think it remembers our names yet. You have to manually set it in the chatroom.
That requires a little bit of Forum<-->Chat integration. We'll get that working once each is individually stable.

BTW: The site is behaving very well now. Did you change something, David?

Well in what sense? If the forum seems fast, it's because running on an (almost) dedicated server. That's a bad thing becuase most of my other PHP websites are down due to problems with IIS. I'll need to get Apache working to take care of that.

I don't know much about IIS config, so this advice I found on the web might be something you have already tried. The first step seems promising because it makes sense that one must stop IIS from listening to all IPs (which many servers do by default even if they only serve HTTP off a particular one). Here it is for what it's worth...

1 - disable the IIS multi address listning : open a console ([start] [execute] cmd ) At a command prompt, switch to the "C:\InetPub\AdminScripts" folder. Type the following command: CSCRIPT ADSUTIL.VBS SET W3SVC/DisableSocketPooling TRUE exit the console Restart all the IIS process IIS is now listening only on the IP you wish !!!!!!!

2 - specify the IP you wish for your IIS sites Open IIS managment console open the property page for each of your sites and set the "IP Adress" value.

3 - specify the IP you wish for your Apache open httpd.conf. For each of your sites, - change the ligne listen YourIpAdress:80. - Change the virtualhost sections (if you have more than one site on your apache - refere to apache docs)

4 - Restart apache and IIS

Those instructions didn't work :-(

I am trying something else: I installed a Debian VMware virtual machine.

But I have the same problem - how to I forward the second IP to the virtual server?

Famous last words..

Thank you for contacting us.

A case was recently escalated regarding your server account. The server was blocked at the switch because of vmware on the server. This will not work with our system as a second MAC address will show up for the virtual machine and will get blocked on the switch. I've removed the block and you should now be able to login again.

OK, I have spent all day trying to set this thing up, but the damn thing wont work.

I figured out how to host Apache and IIS on the same server with different IP's, but the Apache Virtual Hosts configuration will not work, and neither will mod_rewrite.

There surely has to be someone here who knows more about this than I do...

No, I am still running on IIS (.100) because Apache (.89) is only showing the first configured web site (in this case, my gallery). It's apparently configured to run sites by IP instead of host header, even though I told it not to. Also as you can see, mod_rewrite is still broken for some freakish reason. (ReFeed still doesn't load on Apache with PHP 4 OR 5, thought it DOES load on IIS, but it fails to export the feed, which is why MT fails to import it. I think the export is a PHP5 problem, but the load is an Apache/Win problem, and I can't get PHP4 to run on IIS, thought I can load it with Apache. (Arght!))

I am going to configure everything on my desktop to see if things work locally, and then try to replicate them on the server.

Failing that, if I have to spend one more fruitless day on this, I think I am going to go postal.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.