Objectivism Online Forum

Photography

Rate this topic

Concerto of Atlantis

OK, I'll start:

This is a self-portrait that I made as part of my two-year anniversary present to my girlfriend. Shot in a mirror with black and white film. Then printed with heavily increased contrast. A camera symbolises undeniable truth and reality. The symbolism of stark black and white in this context is pretty obvious, I think.

post-16-1082434958_thumb.jpg

Rational cop:

If you want to post pics on discussion boards, I recommend a good image host called Photobucket.

www.photobucket.com

1) It is really quick to sign up with.

2) It gives you the UBB code for message boards, a URL that you can email to friends/family/whatever, and Livejournal/blog code if you have one of those.

3) Photobucket has a lot of space for you to upload and it is FREE:)

That way you won't have to worry about the notorious "red X" when your picture doesn't properly post:)

• 2 weeks later...

Very dramatic skies there Tryp! I noticed your shots were named after Spokane. My sister-in-law lives in Seattle. Been out that way a couple times. My wife is heading out there in July but I can't make this trip. Seattle is a very interesting city!

VES

Awesome.

I go to school at The University of Idaho.

Every time I fly out anywhere, I have to do so in Spokane.

Those pics were taken before I went to New York City. The reason why I took the pictures was because I found the skies to be very dramatic and naturally beautiful. I wanted to keep a photo to remind myself of the natural beauty around me.

I'm glad that you appreciate the nature of what I was trying to capture with that picture (drama).

I haven't ever really had a chance to explore Seattle as a city. I fly in to Seattle all the time (as it is always layover on the way to my hometown, Reno) when I go home for the holidays, but I have never been in Seattle outside of SEA-TAC.

I have an aerial photo of Mt. Ranier that I snapped on the way to Seattle (another layover flight...he he). It is kind of grainy and faint (because Rainer was so far away) which doesn't make it a good photo, but I still think that the mountain looks really cool from the air.

MtR.jpg

Ranier is an awesome sight. I haven't been able to go very close to Ranier, but we did do some hiking in the Cascades. I have a few dramatic shots from that hike I'll put up some time.

Here is a sky scene I took back in November near where I live in Va. Beach, VA.

279vabeachsky.jpg

We don't always get color like that, but when we do.....

VES

One of the things I'm proud of in the photos that I have taken of the sky (and your shot also has this too) is the sense of motion that is captured in the sky.

When you classify the shots I have done as "dramatic" I think that is why.

They aren't photos of a still and stagnant sky.

The clouds give the sky direction and movement.

I like that:)

Concerto,

Black and white imagery can be very compelling. It is an interesting medium of expression that I haven't explored a great deal. I have on occasion taken a color image and made it grayscale for effect. What kind of camera do you use? Do you shoot mostly manually?

Here are some color galleries of mine:

http://www.pbase.com/vsteven

Specifically, I like:

http://www.pbase.com/vsteven/blue_ridge_day_trip

Colors move me and is often the motivation for the shots I choose to shoot. Unfortunately, some of these shots lack specific "focus" and suffer for it despite how colorful they may be. Even abstract color photography has to have focus.

VES

I usually take photos when I go mountain climbing. I love mountain climbing. Conquering peaks is a great pleasure to me, just as photography. I have a neighbor who is a painter and he considers me an artist. However, I'm rather confused as to whether photography can be an art. I know Ayn Rand said it can't be because it's showing reality as it is, not as it should be, yet the photo of the boy with the trumpet someone posted here is screaming in my mind "that's how it could be and should be!"

Well, enough rambling, here are some of my own photos.

P1010175.JPG

69.jpg

78.JPG

82.JPG

150.JPG

163.JPG

RationalCop, I like shooting in black and white because it allows for a certain simplicity in the image. It takes out the element of colour and allows you to really focus on composition. Black and white is especially good for people starting to learn about photography - like me. That's not to say that I don't shoot in colour though. Some pictures look better in B&W and some look better in colour, and it's up to the photographer to learn to recognise this.

For instance, I wouldn't want the attached picture to be anything but colour.

I have two main cameras - A Canon T90 (manual focus, but has a variety of automatic features and can shoot at 4.5 frames per second: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardw...nt90/index.htm). And a Canon AE-1 Program, which I am holding in the self portrait. This does have a program mode, but I shoot mainly manually with it.

post-16-1084494410_thumb.jpg