Objectivism Online Forum

Online Objectivist Gaming Clans?

Rate this topic

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MMORPG Eve-Online has a player made corporation (equivalent to a WoW guild) named "Taggart Transdimensional." It's members and CEO/directors are at the least big fans of Ms Rands work. Many are Objectivists, and you must display a proper sense of life and understanding of Oism in order to join. I'm currently a member and will vouch for it's legitimacy.

A TTI History

Similar but different

Corporate public forums

The MMORPG Eve-Online has a player made corporation (equivalent to a WoW guild) named "Taggart Transdimensional." It's members and CEO/directors are at the least big fans of Ms Rands work. Many are Objectivists, and you must display a proper sense of life and understanding of Oism in order to join. I'm currently a member and will vouch for it's legitimacy.

A TTI History

Similar but different

Corporate public forums

Hah! That's awesome. EVE is a game I've always been a little interested in, though I only tried it out for a few days. But the crazy stuff that happens in that game, with regard to corporations getting taken over, and the whole wild-west/frontier type of open play that the developers allow is absolutely fascinating.

I'm glad to see that EVE as a game continues to grow and remain strong.

A context?

I don't know about any context. Some of my friends play Warcraft for hours at a stretch. I find it an unproductive use of time.

I don't mind spending an hour or two a day engaging in games. It relaxes the mind or body or both. But hardcore gaming i.e playing for six hours straight I find it an extremely waste of time.

I don't know about any context.

Well, this is part of a context;

Some of my friends play Warcraft for hours at a stretch.

And this is another part of a context;

I don't mind spending an hour or two a day engaging in games.

So to you, how much time should a person spend playing games? Is there a specific time limit? Do other factors play (no pun intended) into determining that time limit? Why is one or two hours acceptable but not five or six?

Edited by RationalBiker

There is no objective time limit for gaming.

I feel that 5-6 hours is excessive because it borders on playing for playing's sake, rather than for the intended purpose of relaxation.

Also, that extra hours of gaming can be re-directed to a more productive activity such as reading about Objectivism, etc. Surely, one's most productive activity cannot be gaming, unless one is a professional gamer who plays for a living.

Well for many good games there are many reasons why playing for a bit besides simply recreation ( how long "a bit" is depends on the game, but I would think playing for more much more than 3 hours a day on a particulary regular basis may really be too much generally, particulary if one has other more important things to do ). For instance Scrabble is fun, but also one is able to develop pattern recognition skills etc.

If the purpose of playing a particular game is simply recreation then it definetely tends to make a big difference on how much of ones available time should be spent on that game.

Haha, there were Ogamers from here eh? I can't even remember what uni I was in before I let my account go inactive and get deleted. I was a member of a furry alliance and its 2nd strongest member for quite some time. It was kinda cool when I went to a con and a couple of guys came over to me all "You're Amaroq? The Amaroq? From Ogame?"

I'm not too big a gamer anymore, but I do still play. Amongst my favorites are:

WoW. I'm not too active in this one anymore. My account is actually inactive because I don't want to pay for it unless I have a reason to play again. Amaroq on the Moon Guard server. Horde. I'll probably roll a Worgen when those come out.

(I never did get to endgame. At best, I'm currently a level 39 troll mage, frost/arcane.)

Perfect World. This one is very good for a free game supported by a market that sells premium items for real money. My name is Amar on there, on the Dreamweaver server. I think one of the coolest features is male players being able to literally pick up female players, kiss them, and carry them around. Quests are based on chinese lore.

Aliens vs Predator 2. My favorite first person shooter. I'm always aliens of course. You'll find me as Amaroq if you ever play anymore. (Yes, you can still play. Sierra shut down the official server, but you can patch it to use the unofficial one.)

Starcraft BroodWar.

I'm not that great at it, but it's my favorite RTS of all time! My battle.net account is probably inactive by now. But I do have an iccup account. Amaroq64.

For those of you who like FPS AND RTS, how about this one.

Natural Selection. If you have Half-Life for steam, you can play NS. It's a mod. There's two teams. Marines and Aliens. Both sides can build buildings, mine resources, buy upgrades. However, the human team gets a 'commander' who gets a top-down view and can 'drop' buildings on the ground for FPS players to 'build'. The aliens are all individual entities who work together cooperatively, every alien getting a personal resource pool while the humans get one team-wide resource pool instead.

My steam account is Amaroq64, and you'll often find me in steam games simply named Amaroq.

Netstorm.

If that name is familiar to you, rejoice! This amazing classic is still alive. Sorta. While Activision did shut down its official servers, there is (and has been for years) an unofficial server run by the nice folks at netstormhq.com. It's the one RTS I know of that's fast-paced enough to have earned a place in the 'action' genre. Another game that I love but am terrible at.

You can also download the game for free there too. You just gotta do an extra download/install or two if you want music with the game as well. I go by Amaroq there when I play.

Guild Wars. Me and a friend recently got into this game, but haven't found a guild yet. I'm kinda iffy about guilds, but in a game designed around guilds, it's gonna be inevitable that we join one. My main is Amaroq Pakalf, an Elementalist/Ranger. (If you see an elementalist running around with a pet wolf, that's me. The build probably sucks but it's what I enjoy playing.) My other character that I also have come to adore, Kapu Pakalf, is a Necromancer/Ranger. I get to summon a bunch of zombies AND have a pet wolf on him. Both PvE characters, but I have a couple of PvP ones too.

Battle for Wesnoth. A fun turn-based hex RTS that I actually got to play with a few people from this forum's chatroom once. I go by Amaroq, like usual. If I can get away with it, I use the worgen race from whichever addon they are. Otherwise, it's usually either Rebels or Undead for me.

Savage 2. I just recently tried this one for the first time. Amaroq, usually on Beast side. I'm loving it so far. What an amazing game concept. Transcends genre and basically melds a bunch of genres creatively into one game.

Toribash. Turnbased ragdoll physics fighting game where you can literally tear your opponent limb from limb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMpgfoYleWc

'Nuff said. Amaroq on there too.

Edited by Amaroq

( how long "a bit" is depends on the game, but I would think playing for more much more than 3 hours a day on a particulary regular basis may really be too much generally, particulary if one has other more important things to do ).

I think this is the key; IF one has more important things to do.

I think this is the key; IF one has more important things to do.

Yes, true IF one does. However I would like to think that for most adults that this is the case ( pro gamers are an exception of course ) ;)

• 1 month later...

Last month I started playin a game called Erepublik which is a game you can have your own company and fight in the army. I would play Modern Warfare if we had good internet at my house but since I dont I just end up playing Erep at the shop. Anyway you can get into politics and run for the government and etc. You work and fight once every day so it takes a long time to get used to. The political party I joined is Centre-right, Libertarian and its the closest I found to Oism. Hit me up if you want an invite cause we need more rational people playin this game and I really want to start a company and own a house. Really good game to play during lunch break.. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've started playing America's Army 3. I play that with NickS, and there are probably gonna be more players from here if I understand. My username on there is Iudicious.

I also play Borderlands and C&C Red Alert 3, and my ID on gamespy is izzablu

I play Counter Strike Source and Team Fortress 2, and my STEAM ID is scrapt

I have an Xbox and my gamertag on live is scrapt

I have a number of games basically, but I don't play a lot of them that much. I'll play if I get a friend who will join me.

Me and a friend of mine recently got into a couple of free games. One is a first person shooter called Urban Terror. (Pretty good for being free.) And the other is an RTS/FPS called Battleswarm. (Also pretty good for being free.)

I think Urban Terror fits its name well. Pretty much all of the maps are pretty big, realistically constructed outdoor environments. In a one on one match, it gets pretty damned suspenceful. I'm not a big weapons guy myself, but I think weapons guys would appreciate the selection of real-world weapons to choose from.

Battleswarm is an interesting twist on the combination fps/rps genre games I've played. Instead of trying to combine the two across the board, they set it up so the humans are players in FPS and the bugs are all commanders in RTS controlling AI units. The bugs send swarms of various types of bugs at the humans, and the humans try to slaughter them faster than they come.

It's one of the closest I've come to finding the perfect FPS/RTS game, but still not what I'm looking for. Which I'm glad for, because nobody has done the type of game I want to create someday yet.

I also just got Left 4 Dead. (The first one. Didn't quite want to shell out fifty bucks at the time.)

I'm addicted, haha. Steam account is Amaroq64 like I mentioned before.

EDIT: Are there any O'ist Steam groups?

Edited by Amaroq

I'm the owner of the Objectivists group on Steam. Group induction is by invite only, but obviously anybody from here will get in no questions asked. Send me a private message via the forum if you would like to be invited to the Objectivists steam group.

Also: Jade Empire is $3.75 on Steam until January 3. This is a really good single player RPG by Bioware and I recommend it highly. It's a good excuse to get steam and join our group!

You can download steam at this website.

EDIT: Added a dollar sign to the price of Jade Empire for clarity.

Edited by Jackethan

• 1 month later...